cape horn canyon falls report

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
m14m1a

Post by m14m1a »

Did this out of curiosity. thought that it would be a long haul bushwack to the falls, but turned out pretty easy, less than a mile up canyon. Water was flowing but not much, Id like to see this place in a good year, these falls are a beautiful double tier, approx 60' tall, I wonder why they have been kept off the radar, other than for obvious reasons.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Had to search the topo map to find this canyon (can't recall having ever heard of it). No falls indicated on topo.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.22734 ... 3&z=15&b=t

Pictures or they don't exist!!! :D
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

m14m1a wrote: these falls are a beautiful double tier, approx 60' tall, I wonder why they have been kept off the radar, other than for obvious reasons.
The SGV meetup group went there recently.

http://www.meetup.com/SGV-Hikers/events/105643982/

They took a lot of pictures.

I had never heard of the falls either until I saw that hike posted. There are plenty of hidden gems that only serious hikers care about.
dogsandfrogs

Post by dogsandfrogs »

I led that hike for SGV, since it was so short though, we tackled the lower fall in Allison gulch.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The waterfall is 140ft from top to bottom over 3 tiers.
I dont agree with publishing places so close to graffiti artists and vandals, but its not my call. I know the locals dont like it, but then too bad I guess.

Depending on the water year, it could carry a warning because the San Gabriel river must be crossed.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

WTF, I done been in there (to tag and trash it!) and I ain't seent them falls!