My first peak!

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

I know you guys are more hardcore when it comes to your hikes. I'm slowly trying to get there :). I finally bagged Baldy...which I know you guys have done multiple times but I'm still pretty stoked about it.

Started from Manker Flats and hiked thru to Baldy. This is my first 10K peak and I am hoping that once I get more in shape, I can bag more peaks, do more miles and all that good stuff.

More photos here - http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com/2013 ... ak-mt.html
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

You should become NHPS member!

But congrats! HYOH and all that you've done way better than 99%+ of the people in the country

Can't really remember what my first peak was... something in Massachusetts for sure Mt Greylock comes to mind but I don't think so
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My first time up Baldy was back around 1990. Once on top I passed out and slept for about 30 minutes. That sure was a great way to cure a hangover.

Congrats!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

mangus7175 wrote: I finally bagged Baldy...
Way to go! You've bagged a tough one. I was up on that trail today, but I didn't go to the peak. I chilled outside the hut most of the afternoon.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

@ mattmaxon - Definitely HYOH! I didn't care how long it took me to get there for as long as I did. Thanks for the kudos :)

@ HikeUp - Thanks! I was actually surprised on the hike down, I ran into a couple of guys hiking up with Budweiser's...don't think I would ever want to do that :lol:

@ Sean - Thanks man, your recent C50 trek is an inspiration...someday, I hope do to something like that.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

mangus7175 wrote: I ran into a couple of guys hiking up with Budweiser's
Did they have two girls with them? They invited me to join their party outside the hut on Sunday. TJ, Matt, Tiffany, and Michelle. Cool people.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Sean wrote:
mangus7175 wrote: I ran into a couple of guys hiking up with Budweiser's
Did they have two girls with them? They invited me to join their party outside the hut on Sunday. TJ, Matt, Tiffany, and Michelle. Cool people.
Yes, they did :lol: We passed them as we were coming off of the trail towards the falls.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

mangus7175 wrote: I know you guys are more hardcore....
I dunno dude. Making your own backpack is pretty frickin' hardcore in my book.

As for the ascent, well done. Look forward to hearing about more of your adventures.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Uncle Rico wrote:
mangus7175 wrote: I know you guys are more hardcore....
I dunno dude. Making your own backpack is pretty frickin' hardcore in my book.

As for the ascent, well done. Look forward to hearing about more of your adventures.
Thanks Rico! My daughter might not think it's hardcore to make your own backpack...especially when she always asks me to make her dresses for her Barbie HA!
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great job! You're hooked now. No going back.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great job. It's an iconic peak but that doesn't make it easy.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Thanks guys :D

My buddy already has my season planned out this year...kind of scary actually. He's definitely pushing me to my limits.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Congrats! In June of 2009, out of nowhere I decided to climb Baldy. Hell of a first hike, but I never looked back :)

What else do you have planned?
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Congrats! In June of 2009, out of nowhere I decided to climb Baldy. Hell of a first hike, but I never looked back :)

What else do you have planned?
Thanks! Yeah, definitely can't stop anymore :D

May - Jennie Lakes Loop
June/July - San G and San J
August ~ October - Baden Powell, Three T's, Cucamonga, and other nearby peaks...hopefully. All of this depends on when I can go really.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Mangus, you should be an actor, I'm feelin' the 'exhausted-but-satisfied-maybe-a-tad-dilirious' :wink: look in this pic! Hilarious,,, and imo, an instant San Gabriel fourm classic moment...

Great idea on your overnight plan... Hope ya' don't mind but I lightened the photo from your blog... A very sweet spot! What did you guys BBQ that night :P

Congrats on reachin' the top! Looking forward to a future Devil's Backbone TR when you get to that route...
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

outwhere wrote: Mangus, you should be an actor, I'm feelin' the 'exhausted-but-satisfied-maybe-a-tad-dilirious' :wink: look in this pic! Hilarious,,, and imo, an instant San Gabriel fourm classic moment...

Great idea on your overnight plan... Hope ya' don't mind but I lightened the photo from your blog... A very sweet spot! What did you guys BBQ that night :P

Congrats on reachin' the top! Looking forward to a future Devil's Backbone TR when you get to that route...
HA! Thanks...if I was an actor, I would have all the gear I could possibly wish for...granted if I wasn't a D list celeb :lol:

My buddy definitely picked a nice spot for sure. We didn't have a BBQ though we did find a nice jar of fermented kimchi on a make shift firepit where we camped that evening. We had the pleasure of opening that jar and hauling out the trash the day after :x. We also took down the firepit and spread the rocks as far as we could.