Santa Ana Mtns:Missing hiker found

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

outwhere wrote: But what I can't understand - [then again, I've never gone off trail like they did and run out of water] how did they start hallucinating so quickly ???
This was my exact thought process. I don't buy the hallucinating the first night story unless they ingested something that made them hallucinate. Pot, acid, mushrooms, something. That would also explain their separating the first night.

I only care because they put other people at risk. I've been up Holy Jim to the falls and beyond. It is pretty hard to get lost there.

I also have the experience of going off trail to try to plow through dense brush when I first starting hiking and could have gotten myself in trouble. I was low on water but had the sense to turn around when it was clear I was not making much progress. It just seems there was another factor in the mix here.

Hopefully, the publicity will make people think twice and prepare better before heading into the wild. I am sure these two learned that lesson if nothing else.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

outwhere wrote: But what I can't understand - [then again, I've never gone off trail like they did and run out of water] how did they start hallucinating so quickly ???
I like to make fun of these two saplings, because they did everything wrong and clearly don't know the first thing about surviving in the wilderness. However, I think it's plausible they started hallucinating that first night for the following reasons:

1. They had been climbing up some mountain for six hours and ran out of water. During the 911 call they are already displaying signs of panic, lack of concentration, poor communication skills and decision making (which might have been par for the course), and they are clearly panting and severely dehydrated.

2. It appears they brought no food on their trip. So they were probably burning fat for energy.

3. Also, Nick tried to carry Kyndall downhill in the dark. They fell. Nick hit his head very hard and became unconscious. From that moment things get sketchy for him. He claims he was in and out of consciousness and started having lucid hallucinations. Kyndall doesn't remember hardly anything after the fall, except that she thought she was being consumed by a python. Nick thought he was being chased by a tiger.

Maybe they were on drugs and that contributed to their level of paranoia. Or maybe they are simply dumb and didn't think they could survive a single night in the wilderness, so they did the dumbest thing possible: leave the highpoint where rescue responders could see them in the morning.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hiker Phil

Post by Hiker Phil »

Taxpayers Likely to Foot $160K Bill for OC Hiker Rescue,

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 91871.html
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Those two lost hikers should have to pay for their rescue since they only ended up in that situation due to their negligence. I don't agree with sticking the tax payers with the cost of this easily avoidable accident.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Dragon wrote: Those two lost hikers should have to pay for their rescue since they only ended up in that situation due to their negligence. I don't agree with sticking the tax payers with the cost of this easily avoidable accident.
Not that it's my opinion but if you were to relate that to other things like say a "person that fell asleep at the wheel of their car" then they too should be made to foot the bill (for as you say negligence - driving while tired is in it's own way just a negligent as they may cross over the highway and kill someone else) and if they knew that then if they woke up and no one was around they might not call for help knowing that they would have to pay for the services. I know, I know you going to say that's not the same thing, I agree, but it's the principal behind it or the theory behind it.

What most people don't put together is that "services like fire, police, county ambulances" are hugely expensive operations for the "whole" of them. If we were all made to pay for the "individual" help and they tallied the cost of each of our "rescues" in car accidents, our house on fire, etc... we'd all be poor and wouldn't call for the help we need or might hesitate which will cost lives, it's been shown time and again that this does happen.

We see the big number of dollars for that one rescue and we freak out, but if you were to split that number into cost per person for the county that's $160,000/3,055,745 or about 5.24 cents per person.

Once again yes I think they should be found liable to some extent, but if we all had to pay individually for those things that go wrong in our lives, when we make mistakes it would be way to cost prohibitive individually. I think it more important for these two individuals to be required to do some community service for the folks that saved their lives, or be required to go into schools and speak to children about what they did wrong, re-enforce how irresponsible they were and teach others not to make that same mistake.

The whole point being that if people were to be found responsible for any of their mistakes (left a pot of boiling water on the stove, fell asleep, house caught on fire, five alarm fire, neighbors house catches on fire, drove too many hours, feel asleep, drove off the highway hit a power line that came down caught the forest on fire, was out hunting and tripped on a rock shot gun went off hit a rock started a forest fire) do any of these sound familiar, weird but they happen and it is fair to put the total bill for these things on the person that it happened too (trust me I'm not sticking up for these two individuals, I think they showed that you can go to school to get a college education and still not have "common sense"). Then when it came time for asking for help people would refrain from doing so and more individuals would die, plain and simple, ask any SAR individual about why someone waited to call for help and 9 out of 10 people that think like this will tell you that it's because they thought they were going to be charged for the rescue.

We know in the case of the car accidents and house accidents that a good portion of it will be covered by insurance, but not the county and police help, we pay for that in city/county taxes (which if you look at if from the perspective of what it really is "it's insurance" of a different kind. We expect to be covered (Helped) if something goes wrong. We've all done something unless we live in a shell/bubble that required police, fire, ambulance to help us (where I grew up most ambulances were part of the county, that's changed in the recent years, gone private).

What I personally would like to see is that those silly "Adventure Passes" have a portion go towards a special rescue insurance, one that could offset the costs for the county or the governing body that handled the rescue. Me personally, I would pay an extra $5 a year to get more people involved in rescues, even pay them instead of it being all volunteers, remember that all of the SAR guys are "volunteers" can you image the price had they been paid?

I would rather have people that know the wilderness come looking for me, be at the command posts, be in complete control of the rescue operation, (this is not bagging on the people involved) but 9 out of ten times the first responders are not folks that have experience in the wilderness themselves (exception for me is the folks flying around they don't need to be) and they take control because they are required to and a lot of money/man hours are wasted (I've been there when one was going on and they outright lied to me about how they were proceeding with the search). This is just my humble opinion but how is it that it took four days to find someone less than half a mile from the command posts? That part is still baffling to me, regardless of how thick it was in there, it sure would have ended quickly with a simple whistle.

These two individuals showed complete lack of common sense, lack of knowledge of the wilderness, and just bad judgement all the way around. But like most of us they are human and made a mistake that set the ball rolling that put others at risk, to me that's the criminal part, the cost of the rescue as stated is shared by all of us in a society where we all agree to pay for services that were designed to help us when we make mistakes large or small we've all made them. We don't all put in the same amount (we are taxed at different rates) and we surely don't all use the services equally but isn't that understood when we live in a society that has these services set up to be of maximum service to all of us?

I for one as stated would love to see "community service" be the punishment and not a fiscal punishment. There's something to be said about "humility gained" by doing for others when one has made a gross under estimation of something that put others at risk.

I'm not the best writer but I think you'll all get the point - burning these two at the skate (by making them pay for something that they never will be able to afford) will not stop them from making mistakes that require police/fire/rescue again, nor will it stop you from doing the same. Having them do community service "like work doing the food preparations or serving people during another rescue, or something similar" might just make them think twice before they go on another adventure without thinking it all the way through.

Just my two cents
IcyBacon

Post by IcyBacon »

^ Very well said.

Although not surprisingly, new shit has come to light.

Rescued teen hiker charged with possession of meth
The Orange County District Attorney's Office said methamphetamine was found on or around March 31 in Cendoya's parked car in the Cleveland National Forest.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

IcyBacon wrote: ^ Very well said.

Although not surprisingly, new shit has come to light.

Rescued teen hiker charged with possession of meth
The Orange County District Attorney's Office said methamphetamine was found on or around March 31 in Cendoya's parked car in the Cleveland National Forest.
Under those circumstances, if they prove that she was high as well they should both be held responsible for the costs, no doubt about it.

did not see that article, thanks for sharing that, no wonder they were having a hard time finding the car only a 1/2 mile away - wonder how high they really were - crazy how fast things can go south, add to that mix some speed and the go bad even faster, all pun intended :roll: :twisted:
Hiker Phil

Post by Hiker Phil »

Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

"Jack said that she believed she was being attacked by wild animals and mistook tree branches as straws she could drink from."

What she meant to say was: I believed we were chasing a white dragon and mistook a tree branch for a glass straw we could huff meth from.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Sean wrote:
"Jack said that she believed she was being attacked by wild animals and mistook tree branches as straws she could drink from."

What she meant to say was: I believed we were chasing a white dragon and mistook a tree branch for a glass straw we could huff meth from.
With a half gram of speed that hike should have been over in 20 minutes, I'm thinking they snorted the bleach or ludes by mistake and went on a three to four day trip :oops: :P
AW~

Post by AW~ »

lilbitmo wrote: Under those circumstances, if they prove that she was high as well they should both be held responsible for the costs, no doubt about it.
Im for the way it is normally, trusting those who actually do the job, and not some politician in it for his own objective.

Ive been under the scope twice, so to speak. Both times I was met with at least professionalism, but usually compassion, and both times the larger community(but not all people) dished out hate like animals (and still feel that way). Maybe thats because the people who handle it are there to make a difference, not just be another egotistical clown.

A child puts his hand on a hot stove, and the general public wants to hit the child in the head with a bat to teach them a lesson(the person almost dying is not enough pain inflicted for the general public). The lesson in this case being to stay at home and play video games or do whatever pop culture demands is OK to do, such as watch Dr.Phil to learn responsibility:roll:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote: Ive been under the scope twice...
Did they figure out why you are seemingly allergic to peak bagging? :wink: If you're on top, you're not lost :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

AW wrote: play video games or do whatever pop culture demands is OK to do, such as watch Dr.Phil to learn responsibility:roll:
What are video games and who's this Dr. Phil? :wink:
Hiker Phil

Post by Hiker Phil »

After meth arrest, O.C. authorities may bill hikers for rescue

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... 0515.story
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

so the bright-headed solution of y'all is to charge some teens $100k+ and essentially wiping out their future. Can't wait till they are out on the street committing real crimes trying to pay back that debt.

How stupid is you?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote: so the bright-headed solution of y'all is to charge some teens $100k+ and essentially wiping out their future. Can't wait till they are out on the street committing real crimes trying to pay back that debt.

How stupid is you?
You left out part of the plan.

Then we lock 'em up at great expense and keep them there until a Federal overcrowding order comes down. Then we let 'em go and start the cycle over.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

wrote: so the bright-headed solution of y'all is to charge some teens $100k+ and essentially wiping out their future. Can't wait till they are out on the street committing real crimes trying to pay back that debt.
+1
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

No doubt about it. The kids screwed up and should take some responsibility.

Charging someone for being stupid is different from levying a penalty for a criminal act.

I always take the "cost of the search" numbers with a big grain of salt. It is very easy to take the # of hours x some hourly rate and get some grand total. Problem is many of those costs are fixed and would be incurred regardless. Having paid personnel sitting around = a cost not attributable to the search, but it still gets paid. Having a helicopter available - same thing. The volunteers don't cost anything for their hours. I saw somewhere that ~1900 of the hours were provided by the volunteers and ~800 were by on duty staff. There is an opportunity cost since those resources could've been on patrol or training or whatever, but they didn't cost the taxpayer any more or less $s.

So we're left with costs for overtime, the incremental costs of operating the equipment (fuel, maintenance, etc.), food and other consumables on the incident. One could argue that without these idiots we wouldn't have to have so many helicopters/rescuers/vehicles/etc. but those kinds of marginal cost calculations ("We can save $.0001/taxpayer/year if we charge all the dumb adventure seeking hikers when they get lost.") are difficult.

Just my $.02 worth. Don't worry - the bill is in the mail :o
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

We taxpayer's get something for our money - we get to ridicule and verbally abuse them ad nauseum, although I would prefer something much more gratifying like kicking them in the berries or slapping the stupid out of them :D
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

HikeUp wrote: We taxpayer's get something for our money - we get to riducule and verbally abuse them ad naseum, although I would prefer something much more gratifying like kicking them in the berries or slapping the stupid out of them :D
I would agree that slapping the stupid outta them would be very gratifying indeed.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

At least make them pay for the fuel used in the helicopter and other vehicles that would have otherwise been grounded and garaged. They obviously have enough discretionary funds to by meth.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I'm against charging them for the rescue. In the eyes of the government, their lives should be equal to anyone else's, excepting violent criminals. It doesn't matter why they got lost; they have the same right to emergency services as other citizens who are taxed for such services.

Let's not forget that it is the government's job to try to protect us from life-threatening emergencies, even those caused by our own mistakes or stupidity. The taxes we pay for police, firefighters, forest rangers, etc., serve as insurance against such emergencies, not only for some people but all the people.

I'm also against prosecuting Cendoya for drug possession. Yes, he broke the law, but the law is ridiculously unjust and should be thrown away in the garbage can where it belongs. The government's war on drugs and habit of handing out felonies for victimless crimes is a thousand times worse than anything these stupid kids did.

The desire to bill these individuals for emergency community services reveals more about the pathetic state of the government than it does about anything else. If the government wasn't so awesome at wasting tax revenue, I doubt we'd be having this discussion.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

These two really should be charged for the rescue. They clearly crossed the line between having an unforseen accident and engaging in intentionally negligent behavior, and in this case there's no 'gray area'. They are both over 18 (adults), went into Trabuco Canyon with drugs, got 'high', started walking up the Trabuco Creek trail (a really easy-to-follow trail), got lost not far from the trailhead while hallucinating, and now expect sympathy for needing to be rescued from their own stupid behavior? Sorry, not from me. This is clearly intentional negligence that required wasting government resources. Society won't be ruining two young lives, they'll be teaching them to take responsibility for their own actions, which it appears their parents didn't bother to do. Making them pay for this will teach them to make better decisions in the future.

This whole story didn't make sense when it came out in the media. If you think this is a difficult trail to follow, go out there and see for yourself. Its an easy walk on a well defined trail on a canyon bottom following a creekbed. How do you get lost in a situation like that? - only when you're hallucinating.
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

Sean wrote: Let's not forget that it is the government's job to try to protect us from life-threatening emergencies, even those caused by our own mistakes or stupidity. The taxes we pay for police, firefighters, forest rangers, etc., serve as insurance against such emergencies, not only for some people but all the people.

I'm also against prosecuting Cendoya for drug possession. Yes, he broke the law, but the law is ridiculously unjust and should be thrown away in the garbage can where it belongs. The government's war on drugs and habit of handing out felonies for victimless crimes is a thousand times worse than anything these stupid kids did..
I don't think anyone is saying their lives are less valuable because they are stupid. Just that irresponsibility comes with accountability, at least that's what mommies and daddies should be teaching.

Secondly I find your two statements self-refuting to each other. And turns out the consequences of their "victimless crime" of drug possession and probably going out to get high weren't so victimless. A friend of a friend was a volunteer on this search and rescue and had a pretty bad fall causing some head trauma and loss of hearing. Not so victimless.

So the government should, give up on the drug war, allow people to go out in the woods to get high and then come save them when they hallucinate and get lost because its their job, potentially risking life and limb if the volunteers. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be rescued, just that legalizing meth is idiocy.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

mrnizegy wrote: And turns out the consequences of their "victimless crime" of drug possession and probably going out to get high weren't so victimless. A friend of a friend was a volunteer on this search and rescue and had a pretty bad fall causing some head trauma and loss of hearing. Not so victimless.
Drug possession, itself, is a victimless crime, and that's what they charged Cendoya with.

It's very unfortunate that a volunteer got hurt, but that doesn't make him a victim in the legal sense, which is all I'm talking about.

Incidentally, I can see a case for prosecuting people who go out and get high in the woods and become lost, requiring emergency rescue. They might be prosecuted for something equivalent to reckless behavior. And they could be fined or jailed appropriately.

If they had tested Cendoya's blood immediately upon rescue, they might have caught the meth in his system and could have proven he was high while hiking. But they didn't do that.
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

I wish that in instances like this, they could be given community service rather than a monetary fine. Especially with underage offenders, we know where the money is coming from with a fine.

Trail cleanup or rebuilding? Trash pickup in NF areas?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... jack_o.php

Im only going to quote what pertains to the search and rescue...which many people were wondering about....

"A legal brief to that end the OCFA filed Wednesday contains this bombshell: Nicolas Cendoya, 19, and Kyndall Jack, 18, allegedly admitted taking hallucinogenic drugs before and during their hike"
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

The OCFA claims victimhood based on Marsy's Law. But under this law a victim is defined as: "a person who suffers direct or threatened physical, psychological, or financial harm as a result of the commission or attempted commission of a crime or delinquent act." It'll be quite an accomplishment if the OCFA establishes that a government agency qualifies as a "person." They aren't even a corporation.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I suppose this two-month old ABC news story wraps up the Nicolas Cendoya case.
Orange County Superior Court Judge Gerald Johnston ruled that neither the OCFA nor the volunteer searcher qualified as victims, saying there was no legal basis to force Cendoya to pay for the search costs.