Monte Arido Peak (HPS) & Old Man Mountain (HPS)

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
DavidCrashStillman

Post by DavidCrashStillman »

It's been a while since I dropped anything on SGMDF and I thought this one was good enough to share. Linking these two peaks using the route I took comes in at 26 miles for the day with over 7,000 feet of total gain. It's a long and extremely strenuous day. For the trip report, please visit:

http://davidstillman.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ntain.html

Beantown

Post by Beantown »

good stuff...26 miles is nuts! ive been following your blog for challenging hikes. so far we did the horn canyon to chief peak, chorro grande up to reyes camp and just this past sunday we did chorro grande again but to reyes peak, that was awesome. there was just enough snow up there too make it more fun!
DavidCrashStillman

Hey, that's awesome. I really like that Chorro to Reyes route. And as for Horn Canyon, got enough rocks to go with your climb? Steep ones you've been picking. Builds strong bones and teeth. -Stillman
James

Post by James »

Nice trip report. I saw your blog too and decided to hike TPTP Bluffs and Hines Peak last month for the first time. Warm on the way up but snow in the shade. A fun hike and could see all of the Channel Islands and Catalina crystal clear. While on Hines I checked out the route you took over the ridge to the fire lookout. That looked every bit as rugged as you said in your trip report. But fun too (as long as it's not during the heat and tick season).

A group of maybe two dozen campers were at various points along the trail going to an annual camp out at the TPTP Bluffs summit.

James
DavidCrashStillman

Topa and Hines is an excellent day with high milage and lots of gain, as you well know having just been there. That's a tough day, you should be proud of that one. -Stillman
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

DavidCrashStillman wrote: Hey, that's awesome. I really like that Chorro to Reyes route. And as for Horn Canyon, got enough rocks to go with your climb? Steep ones you've been picking. Builds strong bones and teeth. -Stillman
i can't get enough of the area around Reyes since ive started hiking up there. heading to do the gene marshall trail this weeekend backpacking, ive done that one a few times. been pondering to do it in one day like you did!

yeah im picking the steep ones, training to hit the jmt in july!
DavidCrashStillman

Ah, so you're training to be an army ant. A remarkable animal the army ant. Virtually unstoppable. Like little Tonka trucks. Find your inner army ant and walk the Gene Marshall in a day. Just be sure to start on the Reyes Creek side. You'll dig Beartrap. -Stillman
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

With all the chatter here about Chorro Grande I got the itch and went up Saturday. Was time constrained so only went as far as Reyes Camp on the divide. Vista were good, weather was fine (if not a bit breezy), but the chorro wasn't very grande for March. Looks like it's gonna be a dry one in the southern Los Padres this year.
DavidCrashStillman

I'm trying to remember when it wasn't.