pt 6320+: anyone ever tried it?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
daveb

Post by daveb »

as far as i can tell, this peak is mislabeled with the wrong elevation (6230+' instead of 6320+') in the california mountain atlas: http://peaklist.org/CAmtnatlas/tables/g ... baden.html

and bob burd's nice page's give a third elevation: http://www.snwburd.com/dayhikes/peak/6698

you can get nice views from the Jarvis Memorial, and from the PCT near the Williamson turn-off.

it appears to be near Christopher Brennen's Bear Canyon drop-in point.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

If I remember correctly the brush is quite dense out there
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Looks like 6320 to me. Must be a typo on that web site.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's what it looked like from Kratka Ridge summit in 2011...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh those ones? Heheh. I've thought of it. You'd have the place to yourself, for sure. Nice and quiet. Good peaks to spend a night on.
daveb

Post by daveb »

Turns out, Peter Doggett posted a writeup in the Jan-Feb 2008 Lookout (newsletter of HPS). Here's the meat of it, since it is not online:
We parked across the street from the Buckhorn Campground exit and proceeded uphill to the low saddle between Mt Waterman and Kratka Ridge, about 1/4 mile from our cars. From this saddle we could see [6320+'] less than a mile away and about 400' below us. We hiked down the main canyon to the top of a dry waterfall at about 5800' elevation. We avoided the loose and un-sure rocks by climbing up about 100' on left, before descending back into the main canyon to a point just below our dry waterfall. The entire hike was only 4 miles, but we had about 3000' of gain.

Part of the route went over smooth, slippery rock and through dense, thick brush. Our hike took us a total of 6 hours. The canyon was almost completely dry; however, during most of the year the canyon would be wet and hiking here could be hazardous.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

daveb wrote:
We parked across the street from the Buckhorn Campground exit and proceeded uphill to the low saddle between Mt Waterman and Kratka Ridge, about 1/4 mile from our cars. From this saddle we could see [6320+'] less than a mile away and about 400' below us. We hiked down the main canyon to the top of a dry waterfall at about 5800' elevation. We avoided the loose and un-sure rocks by climbing up about 100' on left, before descending back into the main canyon to a point just below our dry waterfall. The entire hike was only 4 miles, but we had about 3000' of gain.

Part of the route went over smooth, slippery rock and through dense, thick brush. Our hike took us a total of 6 hours. The canyon was almost completely dry; however, during most of the year the canyon would be wet and hiking here could be hazardous.
They took the obvious route if I were to try it. So did they make it to 6320+ or just stop when they got to the bottom of the dryfall@ 5800-? If they made it, was there any description of the route from the bottom of the dryfall up to the peak?
daveb

Post by daveb »

They made it, but provided no further route info.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cool, thanks!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Some pictures of the gully down to this peak (from the internet)....

http://halssota.wordpress.com/2014/08/1 ... gust-2014/