Visiting CA

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
jgfoster

Post by jgfoster »

I'll be visiting Burbank in a few days (live in Syracuse NY) and would like to climb at least one of the San Gabriel Mts. during my week there. I've climbed nearly all of the Adirondack Mts. but the highest ADK peak is only 5,344 (Marcy). I was thinking San Gabriel Mt. would be a good one to start with, but unsure of what to put in my suitcase for this climb. Snow on the summit? Any suggestions re: clothing? Thanks....
Breabonnie

Post by Breabonnie »

I've been to your state a couple times in Autumn. Love the hiking then! But you are right, no really high peaks. My husband and I jokingly called your mountains "hills". I've hiked Mt. Baldy which is over 10,000 feet. Very scenic, lots of views but probably about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from Burbank depending on traffic. The smaller peaks are closer to LA county.

I have lots of photos of the areas I have hiked in the San Gabriels. There are plenty of peak hikes here to be had and some simply scenic with waterfalls. So I guess it depends on:

1) How much time do you have to hike? Few hours, half day, full day, couple days?
2) How far you want to travel from Burbank?
3) How long a hike you want to do? (miles?)
4) What kind of elevation gain you are looking for on the trail?
5) Mostly shade vs. all sun?
6) Constant distant views or more hidden forest winding trail type?
7) Waterfall option and/or river/stream or more dry and open or combo?
8) What is most important to you? No nonsense, nearby Burbank as possible, direct and fast Peak grabber vs. enjoy the journey to the top for its beauty to take photos known for being more scenic?

I recommend the following sites for more info if you have time to research:
http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/hikes.html
http://www.localhikes.com/GetHikes.asp? ... ickZip=Yes

WEATHER:
Expect to change or add clothing. City temps can get into mid to high 70's or 80's at times and at the peak mid 50's or 60's for the high. As far as I know all the North Eastern states have taken all the snow and we are done with winter. You can always use Mt. Wilson weather search on internet as a reference for temperature, this week's high temps up there range from mid 60's to mid 50's. but when you are hiking you will need layers you can shed or add. Light weight jacket to tie around your waist is recommended. Light weight pants. It will be cooler in very early morning and at night. But, overall are likely to be rather warm when hiking our mountains.

I'm happy to help more if you would like it. I've still yet to see more in that area, but I've seen a lot of beautiful spots! I also take a lot of photos.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Welcome! I went to college in Ithaca.

San Gabriel peak is a good choice. There is no snow up there currently. However, we have a storm coming Friday through Sunday that could drop a few inches. If you check the weather for "Mt Wilson, CA" that will tell you if it has snowed, or was just rain.

Most importantly, be aware that many popular trails were damaged in the 2009 "Station Fire" and have not been repaired. Your guidebooks, or trail guides you read online, might not reflect this. Just ask here before you go, and someone will fill you in. (By "damaged" I mean, severely overgrown with brush with steep, loose washed out sections, and in places hard to find the trail at all).

I'm sure many will suggest Mt Baldy. You can take a ski lift part way, making it a reasonable 6 mile round trip hike, for someone who is not used to the altitude. Even up there, the snow is pretty much gone I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

cougarmagic wrote: Welcome! I went to college in Ithaca.
No kiddin'? Which one?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

jgfoster wrote: I was thinking San Gabriel Mt. would be a good one to start with, but unsure of what to put in my suitcase for this climb.
As for clothing, you'll probably need the same stuff you use to climb Marcy when there's no snow and mild to chilly temps. I suggest hiking before or after the weekend, though. Otherwise you might get rained on. Possibly hailed or lightly snowed on if you're into hiking in the dark at 2 AM.

You should educate yourself on poodle dog bush. It's nasty stuff (worse than poison oak), and you might see some near the trail on San Gabriel Peak and the surrounding area. If you notice a cluster of fragrant, purple flowers, don't touch them.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Don't forget your "Adventure Pass." Depending on the trailhead, you might need to purchase a one day Adventure Pass ($5) for the privilege of parking your car in the national forest. I personally don't know whether a pass is required for the San Gabriel Peak trail, but I'm sure Sean or Cougar or Bonnie can confirm.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: Don't forget your "Adventure Pass." ...
There are several popular starting locations, depending on your desired distance and difficulty level. If you park along the Mt. Wilson Road (off Highway 2) at either the San Gabriel Peak Trailhead or Eaton Saddle, you need a pass. You also need a pass if you park along Chaney Trail Road or in Millard Campground above Altadena. No pass needed for Cobb Estate/Sam Merrill Trailhead or Eaton Canyon/Mt Wilson Toll Road.

P.S. You might consider packing a head net, bug repellant, or handkerchief and wear long sleeves. The flies have arrived in time for spring. Though they shouldn't be a nuisance on San Gabriel Peak.
jgfoster

Post by jgfoster »

Wow, thanks everyone for the plentiful and quick responses. There's a ton of information here and it will definitely help me while I'm packing my suitcase tonight. Sick of the snow and cold temps. California here I come!

Thanks again.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AlanK wrote:
No kiddin'? Which one?
IC. Did you go to the Cornell vet school?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

cougarmagic wrote:
AlanK wrote:
No kiddin'? Which one?
IC. Did you go to the Cornell vet school?
I went to grad school at Cornell "a while back." Not the Vet School, though. I was into inanimate stuff in the physics building.