West Fork Bear Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

So back in my early 20's I use to go up west fork to fish, alot. But, I never went up Bear Creek. Not sure why, just never did. Well Tuesday I got put on night shift so Tuesday during the day I went up Bear creek to get away and get tired. See I load a concrete truck then it leaves for about 4 hours, so I sleep on the floor in my office until he gets back, then load it again and repeat. Not bad, boss is cool with it and I get paid for sleeping.
So here we go. I left my meth lab up here in Apple Valley and head down to Azusa, got to the trail head about 930am. Last time I was there the parking was dirt not paved. I headed down west fork to the bridge and headed up bear creek. I have never seen so much poison oak, Im usually on the north side hiking. The trail is easy to follow and I crossed the stream 17 times each way. I went up bear creek about 3 miles and didnt see anyone. 8)

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Very nice report and pictures. Gotta get back up that way soon. I still don't care much for parking road-side that far south along rte 39.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Elwood wrote: Very nice report and pictures. Gotta get back up that way soon. I still don't care much for parking road-side that far south along rte 39.
I hear ya on that one.

Thanks
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Very nice. I also visited Bear Creek for the first time just a few weeks ago. Did you manage to stay dry after all those stream crossings? My recollection is that there were at least 3 or 4 crossings that necessitated stomping through the water.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

blueshammer wrote: Very nice. I also visited Bear Creek for the first time just a few weeks ago. Did you manage to stay dry after all those stream crossings? My recollection is that there were at least 3 or 4 crossings that necessitated stomping through the water.
I stayed dry, but on one I went across into poison oak that was smashed down, if I would have crossed at the trail I would have been wet. I have always cursed at my gore tex moab boots because they are hot, but that day I loved them. Just wish they had a little more "stick" on the wet rocks.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Nice! I really need to take a trip there again...better do it soon too before it gets too crowded.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

mangus7175 wrote: Nice! I really need to take a trip there again...better do it soon too before it gets too crowded.
And the bugs really start to come out. Where did you camp the last time you went up bear creek?
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

yobtaf wrote:
mangus7175 wrote: Nice! I really need to take a trip there again...better do it soon too before it gets too crowded.
And the bugs really start to come out. Where did you camp the last time you went up bear creek?
Last time I did the trail it was back in 2011. We started at the trailhead near coldbrook and exited at West Fork. We camped near where you descend from Smith near the creek.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks for the report and pics.

Can we water board morons who spend gas money to drive up there... hike in and spray paint rocks and signs etc. I don't understand the fun in spray painting stuff:

yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

shreddy wrote: Thanks for the report and pics.

Can we water board morons who spend gas money to drive up there... hike in and spray paint rocks and signs etc. I don't understand the fun in spray painting stuff:

yeah thats the new "gang signs"
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

shreddy wrote: Can we water board morons who ... spray paint rocks and signs.
About a year ago I made a little R-rated (language) cartoon where a hiker confronts a homeboy for "tagging nature." I was bored.