Suggestions for this weekend

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bravefanla

Post by bravefanla »

Hey All,
Mangus 7175 gave me an update on Little Jimmy, which he went to this past weekend. Although I'm game to get up there and spend some time in the snow and low temps, I'm afraid my friends are not. So, can anyone suggest a place that meets the following requirements for this Friday (Feb 1st).
A. Be in the local mountains.
B. Require a hike in to reach it.
C. Not be crowded.
D: Would have fire-rings and/or allow a campfire.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Kevin
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Hi, Kevin.

There are a bunch of trail camps accessible from trailheads along the Angeles Crest Highway. If, instead, you want a campground that's closer, here's a list of sites (each with their own stoves/campfire rings (campfire permit needed)) that are relatively close by car and that only require 1-2 hours of hiking in.

1. Spruce Grove Trail Camp, hiking ~1.5 hours from Chantry Flat
- It's nicely tucked away in Big Santa Anita Canyon and is near a water source.

2. Hoegees Trail Camp, hiking ~1 hour from Chantry Flat.
- Like Spruce Grove, only closer to the trailhead and with more people.

3. Henninger Flats, hiking ~1 hour from Eaton Canyon
- Less nature-y than other camps, but a nice getaway all the same. It's like camping on a big hill overlooking the SGV.

Specific campground info can be found here
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

If you go for the Spruce Grove option or the Hoegees option just keep in mind that Chantry Flats fills up extremely fast. If you do plan one of those two options it might be best if you plan on getting there either before 6:45AM or late in the afternoon like around 5PM or so. If you go there between those hours on a weekend you will be lucky to find parking and will probably have to park a mile or so down the road from Chantry Flats.
bravefanla

Post by bravefanla »

Blueshammer & Dragon,
Thank you for your suggestions. I hiked to Henninger Flats with my 8 year old daughter last weekend so I know what that's like. However, I have never been to Spruce Grove trail camp, which sounds promising.
Thanks again,
Kevin
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

You might also consider Valley Forge, hiking down from the Wilson road. Can't vouch for ice on Red Box - Wilson road though.
bravefanla

Post by bravefanla »

Elwood,
Thanks for suggesting Valley Forge. I've never heard of it but will check it out.
Kevin
FiveCharlie

Post by FiveCharlie »

Hike from Chantry to Devore or West Fork trail camp... Those are my favorite Trail Camps, there's never anyone out there and if there are, they wont be the clueless dayhikers you're sure to encounter at Hoagees or Spruce Grove.. From there you can head back or you can continue down the Gabrieleno and up Kenyon Devore to Mt. Wilson and back to Chantry from one of the many trails leading back to Chantry from Mt. Wilson (which I recommend).
bravefanla

Post by bravefanla »

Hey FiveCharlie,
Thank you for the trail camp suggestions. Both of those sound like they might work for my group.
Kevin