Lone Pine Hotel?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I was thinking of going up that way around the 27th. I have never been up there and was looking for some advice were to stay thats not to expensive. I will be going with my wife and girls, 6-9. Where to eat and what to see? We are just going for a drive. any help would be great!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The Dow Villa is the place to stay in Lone Pine. It has historic hotel and modern motel sections. I think the hotel has bathrooms that are down the hall. We have always stayed at the motel. There is a Comfort Inn (formerly Alabama Hills Motel) one mile south of town. We stayed there once when the Dow was full. It's fine. There are a number of vanilla motels in Lone Pine. I think any of them would be OK. You could try Doug Thompson's hostel (Whitney Portal Store Message Board fame). I haven't seen the rooms, but understand that they are very basic. An internet search will get current room rates for all of these places.

The Pizza Factory is a good, cheap place to eat. The Mount Whitney Restaurant and the Totem Cafe are good. Seasons Restaurant is surprisingly high end for a small town. It may be beyond a limited family budget. There are other places, but I have not been to them.

The Lone Pine Film History Museum is worth a visit. There are the usual touristy gift shops, but they do have a Sierra flavor to them. Otherwise, drive the Portal Road as far as you can and play in the snow.
Bonan

Post by Bonan »

I second the pizza factory. Also the burger restaurant next to it is pretty good (though that may be because I've only had it post-backpacking).

I have never stayed in a hotel in Lone Pine, but the Alabama Hills campground isn't bad.

Just outside of town is a 15ft fault scarp from past earthquakes, doesn't take long to get to or to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1872_Lone_Pine_earthquake .
There is fishing in a pond up at the Portal that could be fun. And the Bristlecone pines are nearby, out of Independence, you can drive up to them and see them from the road.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I've stayed at the Whitney Portal Hostel and it was fine. Nothing fancy but it was clean, quiet and convenient and the price is right. I believe each room sleeps 4 so you can just rent a whole room and have it to yourself. The rooms have bunk-beds which the kids might like, and the wife might not. Some pics and info from the Mt. Whitney Portal site here:

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum ... #Post51019

In terms of food, the Alabama Hills Cafe is quite good. It's a stumble from the Hostel.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I stayed at the Hostel after my Whitney adventure this year, it's 25 bucks for a single. There were 10 beds in the room, or you can rent an entire 4-bed room for about 80. Since I was just coming off the mountain it was great to get a bed to sleep in.
I also stayed at the Dow Villa a couple of times - once with a private bathroom and once with a shared down the hall bathroom. One thing to note there is the tiny beds!
If I'm camping I just drive out into the Alabama Hills and sleep in the bed of the Ranger or tent if it's windy. Wouldn't do that this time of year, too cold.
And plus another on the Pizza Factory.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

thanks for all the reply's. I just booked at the Dow Villa Motel :D

And I have a Pizza Factory down the street, going there tomorrow after work.

any other things to do throw them out there. The movie museum looks cool. Just told my kids we are staying in a motel, my 9 year old is jumping around like crazy, maybe I can take back the gifts from santa if she is this happy about a motel. :lol:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

I guess its a strange time of year to go, seems to be lots of rooms available. Oh well I need to get away for a bit. weather underground is calling for chance of snow on Thursday. Should be interesting.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Manzanar is another thing to do/place to visit in the area, it's about 15 miles north.
Donald Shimoda
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

Eastern California Museum
Norman Clyde's historical photos and gears on permanent display among other features. It's in Independence and free.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Thanks for all the ideas. We had a great time. Kids got to sled a bit, got to eat at the Alabama hills cafe, saw Manzanar, fish hatchery was closed, all the museums that you guys listed, the only thing we didn't see was the 15ft fault scarp from past earthquakes. And always the Pizza factory was good. The dow villa was great.
Thanks everyone
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Then where is your damn TR?

(apologies to HikeUp)
It gives some of us something to do while at work....
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Atta boy. Sick 'em!
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

JeffH wrote: Then where is your damn TR?
Particularly photos of the pizza your ordered :P

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Ski Hut at Baldy to turn into a Pizza Hut :wink:
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

ill put some pics up in a couple days. :shock: