North Devil's Backbone or Fish Fork.......

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hi everyone, I plan on camping at Guffy Campground (Blue Ridge) in about two weeks :D . I am considering doing one of these two hikes, the North Devil's Backbone trail to Pine Mountian, Dawson Peak, and to Baldy or heading down to Fish Fork and the Sheep Mountian Wilderness. Has anyone done either of these hikes? Which one would you guys recommend. Right now, Im not sure of which one I would like to do, because both sound really appealing :? . Could both be done over a two day period :wink: , or would this be overextending myself...........Im in descent shape..... Also, are there swiming holes in Fish Fork, Prarie Fork, or the upper East Fork...... Fishing? Is this area a good spot to possibly see wildlife? I also plan to stop by Jackson Lake for some fishing...Can you swim in Jackson Lake?.......Any advice or photos anyone may have would be extremley helpful...........Thanks, sorry for all the questions.......I get a little too excited.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'd go for the canyon, dude. Go do some fishing (there is plenty up there), see the wilderness and the narrows, etc etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Hike up north Backbone to Baldy, hike over ridge to Iron Mountain, hike down a north ridge to Fish Fork. Then you get everything!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

JMunaretto wrote:Hike up north Backbone to Baldy, hike over ridge to Iron Mountain, hike down a north ridge to Fish Fork. Then you get everything!
Damn, that would be one hell of a day hike :shock:.................I think i'll stick to a single more resonable hike, guess I was overplanning......just a little 8) I think I'm leaning towards the Sheep Mountian Wilderness.......I feel like do some exploring towards the head waters of the East Fork......Thanks guys for your help....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Joseph has brought up a badass idea. 8)

I'm up! :lol:

When it's hot out, though, it's very nice to stick close to the water. Further up EF, the further you get from heaton, the nicer it gets.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

brian90620 wrote:Hi everyone, I plan on camping at Guffy Campground (Blue Ridge) in about two weeks :D . I am considering doing one of these two hikes, the North Devil's Backbone trail to Pine Mountian, Dawson Peak, and to Baldy or heading down to Fish Fork and the Sheep Mountian Wilderness. Has anyone done either of these hikes? Which one would you guys recommend. Right now, Im not sure of which one I would like to do, because both sound really appealing :? . Could both be done over a two day period :wink: , or would this be overextending myself...........Im in descent shape..... Also, are there swiming holes in Fish Fork, Prarie Fork, or the upper East Fork...... Fishing? Is this area a good spot to possibly see wildlife? I also plan to stop by Jackson Lake for some fishing...Can you swim in Jackson Lake?.......Any advice or photos anyone may have would be extremley helpful...........Thanks, sorry for all the questions.......I get a little too excited.
So, did ya go? How was it??
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Unfourtunatley I never ended up going, my girlfriend wasnt up for two full days of hiking :( , she just wanted to relax. I still plan on going before the summer is over though, this past weekend I camped in the Mammoth Lakes basin (Sierra Nevada).........This is a cool area, lots of lakes :D.....didn't really do any real hikes though, more of sightseeing it was my first time there..........