Newton Drury Peak: Last of the 10K's

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A few years ago, I decided to climb all 24 of the peaks in Southern California with elevations greater than 10,000'.

Well, last Friday, I completed the list by climbing Newton Drury Peak (10,160'+) in the San Jacinto Mountains via the Marion Mountain Trail.

It was a cold, rainy day, but I had fun, and it's a great little peak.

I've written up my trip on my blog: Newton Drury Peak: Last of the 10K's. Have a look if you like.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great job Jim - nice to set cool goals and actually achieve them.
My goal today is to have a beer with dinner. Carbo-load!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Jeff,

It's been fun and has helped motivate me to take on some things I might not otherwise have attempted. Some of the approaches to these peaks are worthwhile in and of themselves.

HJ
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Very cool, Jim! 24 of them is a lotta steps in completing that goal... a big pat on the back pack for that accomplishment Jim...

Looked at the map you provided and saw just how many were in the San Bernardino Mountains ----- and 'little' ol' Baldy sits there almost all alone :wink:

Just read your Dragon's Head and Bighorn Mt. TR - :shock: :shock: yes, very impressive on many levels... aka 3am !! Those Tosh's Tarn pictures are really something to see, umm, thanks to you :P

Excellent blog too, laid out nicely so it's even more fun to look through... 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

outwhere wrote: Very cool, Jim! 24 of them is a lotta steps in completing that goal... a big pat on the back pack for that accomplishment Jim...
Thanks! It's been a fun process, and it's made me get out there.
Looked at the map you provided and saw just how many were in the San Bernardino Mountains ----- and 'little' ol' Baldy sits there almost all alone :wink:
Yeah, the counts are heavily weighted toward the San Gorgonio Wilderness which has over 70% of the big peaks in Southern California. They're fairly concentrated. It's possible for a really strong hiker to do them in 24 hours. At least 3 people that I have read about have done it. They've started at midnight and done a big loop. Unimaginable to a mere mortal like me! :shock:
Just read your Dragon's Head and Bighorn Mt. TR - :shock: :shock: yes, very impressive on many levels... aka 3am !! Those Tosh's Tarn pictures are really something to see, umm, thanks to you :P
Yeah, getting on the trail pre-dawn isn't my favorite part of the deal, but it comes with the territory when you're slow.

I like to think that I'm sort of a hopeful beacon for the ordinary guy. I'm a very sloooow hiker, but through persistance and planning, I feel like I've been able to accomplish something.

HJ
David Stillman

Post by David Stillman »

Strong work! -Crash Stillman
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

:shock: :shock: It's possible for a really strong hiker to do them in 24 hours. At least 3 people that I have read about have done it. They've started at midnight and done a big loop. :shock: :shock:

---

I think I like your way a bit[e] more:

Hot oatmeal + raisins on a cold morning = delicious!

Are the waffles, eggs, bacon, hash browns, coffee, toast, orange juice, sausage links out of camera range :P ?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

outwhere wrote: It's possible for a really strong hiker to do them in 24 hours. At least 3 people that I have read about have done it. They've started at midnight and done a big loop.
If you mean the 17 peaks in the San Bernardino area yes it can be done, Rick Kent did it two or three years ago.

San Bernardino Peak, East San Berdo, Anderson, Shields, Alto Diablo, Charlton, Little Charlton, Jepson, Dobbs, East Dobbs, Dragonshead, BigHorn, San Gorgonio, Zahnsiner, Lake Peak, 10,000 Foot Ridge Peak, & Grinnell is a hell of a day, if you wanted to complete the other 7 from the other two mountain range's you'd have to get a ride from the trailhead (the one you exit from) over to the tram, take that up, go to Miller, San Jacinto, (drop down to) Folly, come back up to Jean, Marion, Newton Drury, run back to the tram, then drive over the Mount Baldy and do it.

If you can do that in 24 hours that would not just be epic but super epic, that's a challenge even for the best of the best, but I like your thinking :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

outwhere wrote: I think I like your way a bit[e] more:

Hot oatmeal + raisins on a cold morning = delicious!

Are the waffles, eggs, bacon, hash browns, coffee, toast, orange juice, sausage links out of camera range :P ?
Ha! I like to cook (and eat!) out on the trail, but on more serious hikes, I keep it pretty simple.

My specialty on less serious hikes is omelets. I've had fun cooking them on everything from a wood fired backpacking stove to an alcohol stove to a Jetboil.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote:
outwhere wrote: It's possible for a really strong hiker to do them in 24 hours. At least 3 people that I have read about have done it. They've started at midnight and done a big loop.
If you mean the 17 peaks in the San Bernardino area yes it can be done, Rick Kent did it two or three years ago.

San Bernardino Peak, East San Berdo, Anderson, Shields, Alto Diablo, Charlton, Little Charlton, Jepson, Dobbs, East Dobbs, Dragonshead, BigHorn, San Gorgonio, Zahnsiner, Lake Peak, 10,000 Foot Ridge Peak, & Grinnell is a hell of a day, if you wanted to complete the other 7 from the other two mountain range's you'd have to get a ride from the trailhead (the one you exit from) over to the tram, take that up, go to Miller, San Jacinto, (drop down to) Folly, come back up to Jean, Marion, Newton Drury, run back to the tram, then drive over the Mount Baldy and do it.

If you can do that in 24 hours that would not just be epic but super epic, that's a challenge even for the best of the best, but I like your thinking :D
Several people, including Rick Kent, have done all 17 (as listed by lilbitmo, above) of the peaks above 10,000' in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. I have read trip reports for 3 different people. I only know of those three, but it's possible that there are others.

I know Rick Carlson (spelling?) of RMRU (search and rescue) did all 17 in two days, also an impressive feat.

I think maybe, just maybe, someone could do 23 out of the 24 (San Gorgonio Wilderness + San Jacintos), but that would be one heck of a challenge. I'm not sure who, but maybe bdog (the guy who did the Skyline trail in under 2:30). You'd have to do the big loop like Rick Kent did, bagging all the 10K's in the SGW, then have a car waiting for you that would whisk you to the tram station, and then you'd do Miller, SJ, Folly, Drury, Jean, and Marion.

Adding in the outlier to the west, Mt. Baldy, is just undoable. I can't imagine that even the best of the best could do that. Well, maybe if you had a chopper standing by.

HJ