Potable Water? Blue Spigot in Castle Canyon

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

I was planning on hiking to inspiration point this weekend and was hoping not to carry a gallon of water. I went a few months ago and I remembered a water line that ran next to the trail in Castle Canyon. A little past echo mountain there is a spigot marked with a blue stripe. There was water the last time I checked. Does anyone know if the blue means it's potable? I can't find any info on it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I don't know that the color blue is a guarantee of anything, but, years ago (late 80's/early 90's), there was a drinking fountain near where the trail to Castle Canyon takes off from atop the ridge leading to Echo Mountain. The drinking fountain was fed by the water line that runs along the Castle Canyon Trail. The water is probably safe to drink.

If you were in doubt, you could pop some chlorine dioxide tablets in it (or filter, boil, or UV treat it).

HJ
andthewalrus

Post by andthewalrus »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
If you were in doubt, you could pop some chlorine dioxide tablets in it (or filter, boil, or UV treat it).

HJ
True, I'll bring some purification tablets along to be safe. I wonder where the water line goes.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The water line is probably owned by Rubio Canyon Land & Water Association.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

andthewalrus wrote: I wonder where the water line goes.
The waterline goes from the little canyon that the Castle Canyon Trail crosses (point "A") down to approximately point "B". It's just a small water line, so I doubt it was ever used for anything more than bringing water to Echo Mountain.

HJ