Forsee Trail and 4 peaks 7/22

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I have been hiking quite a bit locally but haven't had a chance to get out to the San Gorgonio wilderness in a long time. I was originally planning on the standard Vivian Creek climb of San G but with no permits availble decided to go for the less travelled and almost as high San Bernardino Ridge on Sunday.

The Forsee TH was filled when I got there at 7:50 primarily with backpackers who I passed on the way up coming down who had camped at Jackstraw Spings (good water flow). I counted only three day hiking groups and I think two of them didn't even make the ridge. I was concerned with heat but instead it was cloudy most of the time with some slight drizzle as I headed down. The Forsee Trail gains more then 4k in elevation but you don't really feel it since it takes six miles to get to the Trail Spring Junction which is 1/4-1/2 mile from the ridge itself. The trail is pretty painful to hike as it meanders in large loops to keep the gradient gentle, at a certain point just get me there already. It took me 2 hours and 25 minutes to get to the junction.

From the junction I first went west to ESB peak where I met a group of young tween backpackers and their guardian. The views were still clear as the cloud cover was still minimal. From there you have a depressing 300 foot drop and climb up to uninspiring SB peak where I met a group from Angelus Oaks prepping for Mt Whitney. By then I was 3.5 hours into the hike and regaled the group about my Whitney adventures and gave them words of encouragement on their first ascent. I'm always concerned if I'm being a blowhard or not when I talk about hiking but I do love it so sue me.

From there back up ESB and up the west ridge of Anderson where the high point is on the east side and there is a use trail coming up from that direction, if you need some help. All the peaks have broken off signature registers other then ESB that doesn't have one at all. Anderson the highest point on the ridge, is the most forested and provides the least view for your buck.

From there it was time for the best peak of the day, Shields. I love me some Shields not Brooke, mind you. This peak is very jarring as you come out of the forested area and are thrown into a loose broken rock ridge. Best way to climb is leave the trail as it begins to decend to contour around Shields, this is prior to the rock showing its face so you need to be aware of the change in trail direction. The climb along the ridge was over all too soon and I reached the high point. By now San G was covered in clouds and Anderson was just starting to get covered.

I reversed my track and soon made the east junction back to Forsee as the dirzzle started. I still had a long 6 miles to go, down to the TH. There is a ridge on the other side between Anderson and Shields that appears to be a shortcut down but would be steep with 4K drop in 2 miles. I knew that would tire me out more then the trail, so stuck to what I knew. The whole hike was about 19 miles with 5K elevation gain in 7.5 hours. A perfect day in the mountains as everyone else roasted I was in 65-70 degree weather.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice TR.

I'm with you. The Forsee Creek Trail is one of the most poorly routed trails in the SGW. What were they thinking? It goes miles with little or no elevation gain. The Momyer Creek Trail (also in the SGW) ranks right up there as well. As soon as I become ruler of the world, all this will change. :)

Thanks for the report. Got pix?

HJ
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

I've just had the same permit experience as David, applied for a San G permit by fax a week ago but the allocation is full up so its on to my second choice Forsee Creek Trail. I suppose a lot of people are in training for their High Sierra trips, does anyone know how early you have to apply for a San G permit at this time of year.

Cheers Phil
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Phil B wrote: I've just had the same permit experience as David, applied for a San G permit by fax a week ago but the allocation is full up so its on to my second choice Forsee Creek Trail. I suppose a lot of people are in training for their High Sierra trips, does anyone know how early you have to apply for a San G permit at this time of year.

Cheers Phil
Sounds like he went in person and asked for a same-day permit. I've never had a problem with permits in advance, but I usually apply a couple of weeks before I plan a hike.

HJ
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

The Momyer trails looks just as bad not if not worse then Vivian, I have never been on it though. What is it like?
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I applied for a permit on Friday, the ranger told me that all weekends were filled through the 26th of August via Vivian Creek but South Fork was available. There are three permits that they issue same day but it is a risk that you have to take, to drive out there and first come first serve at 7AM. There may be a point where if you don't pick up your permit they cancel the reserved one. I once got a permit that way at around 8 AM. That was why I just locked it in with Forsee.
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thats good info David, thanks.

Phil
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Thought I would post some pics of Forsee Creek Trail. Went up on Saturday (07/28/12) to tag ESB, SB and Anderson Peaks. It was my first time on this trail which is very easy going and as previously stated has some long ass switchbacks, the weather was beautiful, clear blue skies with a slight breeze on the way up. I only saw three other groups all day and two of those came up from Angelus Oaks. It was great having the trail almost to myself, but when I got back to the parking area it was nearly full, I hav'ent figured out where everybody went because they did'nt pass me on the trail, maybe there is another trail that is not shown on my map, who knows?

Pics : http://philbrown.smugmug.com/Other/San- ... &k=Mtt86rT

Cheers Phil