Rubio Cyn. to Echo Mtn.: 07-22-2012

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Echo Mtn. via the Incline Trail that starts in Rubio Cyn. I last did this trip in January 2010 and not much has changed on the route except that it has obviously gotten more use and thus the usual cutting of the switchbacks (especially down low) and tread failure has occured. A bit brushy so long pants are recommended. Start early to be in the shade for the steep lower portion.

We returned via the Lower Sam Merrill Trail to Lake Ave. for a shuttle car back to Rubio Cyn. trail head. There appears to be a trail that could be used to get from Lower Sam Merrill to Rubio Cyn. - I have not been on it and do not know the condition of it (it is called "Old Echo Mountain Trail" on the maps available at Rubio Cyn. trail head).

New pics (2012-07-22).

Old pics (2010-01-17).

Map 1 of 2 (our route --> A-B-C-D-E-F-G-Lake Ave)...

Map 2 of 2...

Crux of the route...

Old foundations for Incline Railway (from just below "crux"). Route follows the ridge to the left side...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That "crux" looks like it's getting worse.

There is a reasonably easy way to do the hike without a car shuttle. Take a look at this satellite photo.

Start your hike as though you were going to the top of Echo Mtn from the top of Lake Avenue in Altadena. When you get to the canyon crossing, go to the bottom of the canyon (point "A") instead of turning left to follow the main trail. Follow the canyon bottom down stream until you get on to some little semi-rural looking back streets. Follow those back streets along through point "B". Basically, you stay on the NE side of the channel following streets and publically accessible paths until you get to point "F" (Rubio Canyon Road). Take a short jog east here and then turn left at "G" (Rubio Crest Drive). Turn right at "H" (Rubio Vista Dr) and proceed to the Rubio Canyon trail head at "I." From the trail head, hike just as you did, and then return to your car via the main trail.

Obviously, only a thin strip of houses separates Rubio Crest Dr. from your walk down the channel. It sure would be nice to find a non-trespassing route between points "E" and "F". I haven't looked for one yet, but I will the next time I'm up that way.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

We had two cars so I figured why not set up a shuttle to cut down the mileage and gain for the newbs on the trip.

The urbanized walk from A to I sucks in my opinion but I've done it before. And because there is a nearly 200' elevation gain from point G to I, I recommend doing it at the beginning of your hike instead of having to do it to get back to your car at the end.

I've looked for non-trespassing ways to cut that walk shorter but have never found one.

I think the Old Echo Mountain Trail is a promissing alternate that I will investigate soon...looks like there has been some recent work on the lower part of it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

We had two cars so I figured why not set up a shuttle to cut down the mileage and gain
Makes sense.
The urbanized walk from A to I sucks in my opinion
Yep, pretty much. but it's really useful if you do the Lake Ave - Idlehour - Henninger loop.
I've looked for non-trespassing ways to cut that walk shorter but have never found one.
Rats.
I think the Old Echo Mountain Trial is a promissing alternate that I will investigate soon...looks like there has been some recent work on the lower part of it.
Yeah, that looks like a winner. I'd like to know more about that one.

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: I think the Old Echo Mountain Trial is a promissing alternate that I will investigate soon..
Ive been denying such a route exists...hehehe. So to make me look credible, see, how about forgetting about some old rumored trail?

Just kidding, I am curious now. There are so many trails around that area its hard to keep track of them all.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote: So to make me look credible, see, how about forgetting about some old rumored trail?
What's it worth to ya? :wink:
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Never knew there was a trail from Rubio. Is the jump off point from Rubio somewhat obvious? Thanks!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

When I was a kid my dad dragged my sister and I straight up the length of the ridge. It was completely clear at the time, save for some dried grass. I was probably about ten years old, so 33 years ago. I'm sure they were still cutting fire breaks back then.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cool photo, Greg! Not much has changed.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

shreddy wrote: Never knew there was a trail from Rubio. Is the jump off point from Rubio somewhat obvious? Thanks!
Take a look at this satellite photo of the area.

A = The trail head on Rubio Vista Dr.
B = The old rail bed leading up Rubio Canyon. Following the rail bed is a piece of cake.
C = The spot where the switchbacks leave the old rail bed and head up towards Echo Mtn. If you zoom in, you can see the switchbacks clearly. The trail is not maintained and is hard to follow in a couple of spots, but lately it's become popular, so use is making it clearer and clearer. The spot where the switchbacks leave the old rail bed is not completely obvious; you have to be watching for it.

HJ (aka 'map boy')
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote:
HikeUp wrote: I think the Old Echo Mountain Trial is a promising alternate that I will investigate soon..
Ive been denying such a route exists...hehehe.
You know, if you zoom in on this satellite photo, you can see the darned thing. Er, I mean there is no such trail, :wink: but if there were, it might start at "A" and descend to "G" where it would join the old rail bed, just like in the graphic HikeUp posted. I lose the trail between "F" and "G", but I can see switchbacks at "G".

Well, I'll be danged. I've done Echo literally hundreds of times. I've noticed that there was something off the tip of the switch back by the electrical towers, but I always thought it was some local shortcut or something. I didn't know it was the historic trail. :oops:

You know, with that historic trail, you could make a nice loop hike starting on Rubio Vista Drive. :idea:

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hikin_Jim wrote: You know, if you zoom in on this satellite photo, you can see the darned thing.

HJ
Looking at the historical imagery on Google Earth, it appears that this was worked on heavily during 2011, so Im in the clear. All of the trails on Rubio are non Forest Service owned and operated trails :wink:, so its been this loyal band of volunteers that have restored the area over the last decade.

2 new restored trails: Lone Tree and Loma Alta Connector(aka A&A)
http://altadena.patch.com/articles/rubi ... to-8825346

Lone Tree Trail
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1539441
" Most of the route has been recently flagged and trimmed (April 2012). It is not recommended for novice or casual hikers."

A-Trailhead-Pleasantridge Dr. and G-Lone Tree Trail-[1888]
Rubio Vista Rd., Altadena, CA H-SCE Tractor Road-[1926]
B-Lower Old Echo Mtn. Trail-[1892] I-Loma Alta Connector-[1952]
C-Rubio Right-of-Way Trail-[1892] J-Trailhead-1101 E. Loma Alta Dr.,
D-Camp Huntington Trail-[1938]
E-Rubio Creek K-Altadena Crest Trail
F-RCLWA reservoir L-Boundary-AFC Rubio Parcels

LOL, we should come up with the Rubio canyon trail quiz for this site to test people on the 50 trail names in one canyon.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Wow! Lone Tree has been worked? Dang, I need to get out there.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I did notice that trail B in the map in AW's post looked nearly "official", with switchbakcs and little retaining structures holding stuff up, at leaast on the lower portion I could see. I'll join you anytime HJ.

I've also seen the beginning of what looks like some use trail trying to connect K with J,I, and/or H.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
shreddy wrote: Never knew there was a trail from Rubio. Is the jump off point from Rubio somewhat obvious? Thanks!
Take a look at this satellite photo of the area.

A = The trail head on Rubio Vista Dr.
B = The old rail bed leading up Rubio Canyon. Following the rail bed is a piece of cake.
C = The spot where the switchbacks leave the old rail bed and head up towards Echo Mtn. If you zoom in, you can see the switchbacks clearly. The trail is not maintained and is hard to follow in a couple of spots, but lately it's become popular, so use is making it clearer and clearer. The spot where the switchbacks leave the old rail bed is not completely obvious; you have to be watching for it.

HJ (aka 'map boy')
Point C on map boy's map is immediately past where you sorta have to scramble a bit through a bunch of old concrete foundations. The newb on my recent hike saw it with no prompting and waited for everyone to catch up.

Just past this stuff...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks all. This is great, I think I'll wait till it cools down a bit then hit these up! GREAT!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Went up on Saturday at 0600. Temperatures were very tolerable. Did the whole loop in around 3 hours at a pretty leisurely pace. Taking the old Echo Mtn trail is a really nice way to get back to one's car. The trail is still a work in progress, but it's followable. Not necessarily for the general public though; it's pretty rough in spots. More to follow...

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Went up on Saturday at 0600. Temperatures were very tolerable. Did the whole loop in around 3 hours at a pretty leisurely pace. Taking the old Echo Mtn trail is a really nice way to get back to one's car. The trail is still a work in progress, but it's followable. Not necessarily for the general public though; it's pretty rough in spots. More to follow...

HJ
The "Lower Old Echo Mtn. Trail" is definitely not ready for use.

A few pics.

So, Lone Tree Trail this Saturday HJ? :D
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

This is all very complicated. Let's reinstall the funicular :D
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

PackerGreg wrote: This is all very complicated. Let's reinstall the funicular :D
:lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

:lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Image Nice pic of you by the way, Greg. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: So, Lone Tree Trail this Saturday HJ? :D
Dang. Just spotted this. Really busy week at work. Rain check?

HJ
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Thanks. I know the dress is dated, but that was a long time ago.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
HikeUp wrote: So, Lone Tree Trail this Saturday HJ? :D
Dang. Just spotted this. Really busy week at work. Rain check?

HJ
No worries. Went without ya :wink: and would go again anytime.

Pics.

Started at the Rubio TH and went up Lone Tree Trail to just about 3050', turned around and took the SCE Tractor Road back down. The Lone Tree Trail is steep and in great shape (envision a really nice use trail) up to about 2900' then it gets pretty rough but looks "flagged" and in progress. The upper part of the SCE Tractor Road is in "poor" use trail condition, but easily followed.

Map (my route: A-D-G-H-D-A)...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

This thread is an example of why I really enjoy this forum. Get to know some "new" trails and haunts. The people on here are respectful too 99% of the time. Good stuff!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

PackerGreg wrote: Thanks. I know the dress is dated, but that was a long time ago.
:lol: :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: No worries. Went without ya :wink: and would go again anytime.

Pics.

Started at the Rubio TH and went up Lone Tree Trail to just about 3050', turned around and took the SCE Tractor Road back down. The Lone Tree Trail is steep and in great shape (envision a really nice use trail) up to about 2900' then it gets pretty rough but looks "flagged" and in progress. The upper part of the SCE Tractor Road is in "poor" use trail condition, but easily followed.

Map (my route: A-D-G-H-D-A)...
Cool stuff and cool pics. Definitely need to check that one out. Looks like a good one for a cool day though. Hot as heck otherwise.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

It was fun Sensei Map Boy Fu. Anytime.

My next trip will be even more interesting. There's more to that SCE Tractor Road than shown!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: My next trip will be even more interesting. There's more to that SCE Tractor Road than shown!
Oh?

HJ