Walkies! (no run) 'n pics on Mt. Baldy Trail from village

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Decided to just go for a walk Sunday' n keep busy while Ryan was out doin death defying Taco-stuff...
I started in the baldy village where the trail towards Bear Flats starts at the end of the road there past the church. I started up about 130pm and went up about 4 miles (3.78 i think, watevr) it was nice out! no haze...well, not as bad as saturday anyway. I was tired from yesterdays hike n run up SkiHut to top to devils backbone trail the previous day (Sat) so i just chilled n ate bagels and looked for chipmunks n took a LOT of pics on this trip. So, heres some pics and also the Garmin link to show where I was :) I had a really nice time, almost no one was up there. ima go all the way to the summit on this trail on tuesday i think

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192723817

PEEX! lotsa pix!

Just above bear flats, starting the 20+ switchbacks

Halfway to summit (i think its 6mi to top) But im only gonna go a little farther

Done here, im tired, im at 8500ft, gonna take more pics and walk back down soon (and drink some juice! my hands n wrists are all pouffy from dehydration and ele change)

dirty feet

dirty feets with view :)

Chipmunk! in the shadow there between the 2 trees

neat rocks

Back down

water

Squirrel!

and done...back to the road n powerlines...pretty trees still though

heres all the pics here on FB

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... um_comment
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice shoes. :wink:

Seriously, nice pix. I love how that trail in particular goes through such dramatic changes -- from classic front country in the beginning, up through into pine high country, and then, effectively, above timberline.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

yeah it really pretty there. Im gonna go to the top today. ill maybe take some more pics :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: Im gonna go to the top today. ill maybe take some more pics :D
Cool. :)

What's the camping area like? I've not really checked it out.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Seems like it would be pretty hot hitting the trail that late in the day - good pictures....
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
everyday

Post by everyday »

It all depends on what youre used to. Im from the desert, so i dont consider it to be pretty hot til its over bout 103, thats my limit, anything over that and my brain feels funny. But i can run all day in 80s n 90s no prob

Jim-The camping places look nice, ide stay there. theres water, not oodles of bugs, only a few. and theres trees for shade n wind protection. :D ...and theres squirrels! But its only 1.6 miles up from the town
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: Jim-The camping places look nice, ide stay there. theres water, not oodles of bugs, only a few. and theres trees for shade n wind protection. :D ...and theres squirrels! But its only 1.6 miles up from the town
That's actually a good thing -- that means that I might be able to get there before dark on a Friday after work and then do the rest of the hike in the morning. Sweet! :)

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

Ah! good point. And i guess since itsa really small town it'd be fine (quiet i mean) Its not like yer 1.6 mi from downtown i suppose. And the lodge has rootbeer floats! theyre really good :D

*also, On both Sunday and Tuesday I drank right out of the creek there and have no issues. its good water....as long as nothing dies upstream i guess its icky-free (btw-you camper people, in case some of you didnt know-Chicory kills internal parasites, as well as cleans the blood and aids in liver health, so if you buy the coffee at the store with chicory in it, you should be good, its what i use if im drinking lotsa outside-water. and its been used for 1000s of years by everyone from ancient egyptians to monks in europe....anywho, it kills internal parasites, so..there ya go. drink up...)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

everyday wrote: And the lodge has rootbeer floats! theyre really good :D
I'm doomed, doomed, I say. :lol: (I love rootbeer floats)

HJ