TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Well done Henry!!!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Right on!

I plan on heading up there after my LCL heals.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Fantastic Henry!! After reading this report many moons ago the Triplet Rocks have always been interesting to me. Dosent surprise me there hasn't been many more attempts since that 4 day battle. Thank you Ze for sharing, maybe Henry will be kind enough to let you share some more photos from the adventure on the forum. It is always fun to see these places we can not always get to so easily, but that is what makes the view worth it. Cheers and congrats.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Aye, post them pics if possible!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ack, as you can see, it is so easy to get there. All you do is go down a little bit and then walk up the hill and follow the ridge to the rocks. :wink: :lol:
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Been outdoors several times over the past couple weeks and snagged a few photos of the Triplets from different points. Thought I'd share...

Taken on Mt. Waterman loop trail. From saddle:

Taken further up the Mt. Waterman Trail:

Taken from the beginning section of the Mt. Islip trail from Islip Saddle (bit hazy, wish I had taken a photo on the way up in the early morning):
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Twin's east ridge from da plane...

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

coincidentally a bit after you posted that pic, I got an email from a banned member of this forum demanding I take him on this hike! :roll:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

ok I borrowed some more of Henry's images:

JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

What an adventure! Thanks for putting up some more photos. That last photo is classic, looking back at what then needs to be traveled to get back.
kujibo

Post by kujibo »

There has been at least 2 more successful attempts since Henry. 2 separate groups arriving on the same date. One was by a Ukrainian dude. I don't know about the others.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote: My friend Henry, who went on this hike with me, successfully made the summit this time with a friend this past weekend. I don't think he posts on this forum, so just a FYI. It took them 23 hours :shock: . Their register entry is the only one since the hiker who was on the ridge for 4 days.

C'mon guys, that register needs some more entries!
23 hours? Is that all? I thought this was a tough hike. :shock:

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
wrote: My friend Henry, who went on this hike with me, successfully made the summit this time with a friend this past weekend. I don't think he posts on this forum, so just a FYI. It took them 23 hours :shock: . Their register entry is the only one since the hiker who was on the ridge for 4 days.

C'mon guys, that register needs some more entries!
23 hours? Is that all? I thought this was a tough hike. :shock:

HJ
HJ, Joyce is still too young for Triplets! Next year for sure, though...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

kujibo wrote: There has been at least 2 more successful attempts since Henry. 2 separate groups arriving on the same date. One was by a Ukrainian dude. I don't know about the others.
nice. can you get him to write a TR??
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote: HJ, Joyce is still too young for Triplets! Next year for sure, though...
Hey, we've got her working on her class three even as we speak.

HJ
kujibo

Post by kujibo »

wrote:
kujibo wrote: There has been at least 2 more successful attempts since Henry. 2 separate groups arriving on the same date. One was by a Ukrainian dude. I don't know about the others.
nice. can you get him to write a TR??
The Ukrainian says he started very early with another. This was 1 week after Henry. Started at around 2 am and reached Twin at 5. There wasn't enough light so they waited for the sun to come out and proceeded down the ridge.

He had attempted a few weeks before and turned around at the gully. The dirt was a lot looser this time. Carried over 10 liters of water because he was determined and was not going to be denied. Also brought a helmet for the spicy sections.

After the 20' downclimb there is a smaller bump. After this bump is another bigger/higher. He believes what others call the halfway point. This is the most dangerous part. He has encountered rattlesnakes here every time. Be very careful when plowing through the manzanita. This will forever be known as Rattlesnake Ridge. He climbed up this by going to the right (west). Once on top, descend on the right west/south side. That is all he had to add tip wise. 1 hour after reaching the rocks, right after the friction move, he encountered an individual who says he was the one who put the register there. Total time was about 20 hours. Also, this is a very dusty hike. His lungs were in bad shape afterwards.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

kujibo wrote: Also, this is a very dusty hike. His lungs were in bad shape afterwards.
Well, at least the rewards are worth the risk. :lol:

HJ