Little Jimmy in June

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

How is the bug activity in June at little jimmy? And is it wise to bear bag all smelly things? I think I read the water runs just about all year, so Im guessing water in June will not be a problem. I havent been up there for a overnight trip in 28 years or so. Taking the wife for her first backpack trip, and thought taking her to the first place I went would be cool.

TIA
Dean
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Generally its not too bad. There are quite a few non-biting flies and other tiny nuisances like gnats, but there are very few skeeters. Relative to some of the other places I have been to the bug conditions are generally pretty good. I am actually planning on heading up there Saturday morning for a three day backpacking trip; I hope to bag a few peaks on Sunday. Regarding the water, it does flow year round and one can drink it without filtering it (since it is a natural mountain spring). I hope you're able to make it with your wife and maybe I'll see you up there.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Thanks for the info. I will not be going until mid June. Just hope there is not a lot of loud boyscouts that weekend, I know how I was :twisted:
Have a nice time this weekend and post a report.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

how about a bump for bear info...
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I've spent considerable time up at Little Jimmy and I have never ran across a bear a single time. I have, however, heard a story from someone who was staying there with no tent, just a tarp, and in the middle of then night he awoke with a bear tabbing at him like a dog. It scarred the hell out of him and he jumped up in surprise. That action spooked the bear and it took off. That is the only bear related info I have heard about at the Little Jimmy trail camp; how that helps.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Dragon wrote: I've spent considerable time up at Little Jimmy and I have never ran across a bear a single time. I have, however, heard a story from someone who was staying there with no tent, just a tarp, and in the middle of then night he awoke with a bear tabbing at him like a dog. It scarred the hell out of him and he jumped up in surprise. That action spooked the bear and it took off. That is the only bear related info I have heard about at the Little Jimmy trail camp; how that helps.
Thanks for the info!!
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

So my three day trip changed into a two day trip due to a knotted muscle in my lower back. All in all it was a good trip. It was very cold up there on Saturday (37 F) and very cloudy. I hiked into the trail camp while the clouds moved past me.

Due to the cold the bugs were non-existent and the ones that made their presence known were the non-disease carrying ones. Even on Sunday once it warmed up the only bugs to speak of were the mildly annoying kind.

As far as available space at Jimmy; this past weekend it was fuller then I have ever seen it. The front portion of the camp was 100% occupied as well all the developed (with a fire ring) camp sites in the back section as well. The large overflow area in the back of the camp was empty and there was plenty of room for additional backpackers. I ended up wild camping on a rise between the front and the back sections of the trail camp which wasn't that bad except I was not allowed to have a fire (which would have been nice since the temps dropped to 0 F; although my water stayed a liquid during the night).

The water at the spring was flowing as it usually does with a decent flow rate. On a side note I have ran across ~10 PCT through hikers that started in Mexico and are planning on ending in British Columbia over the past two weekends. The most incredible part about this is I met the youngest through hiker with her mom; she was all of six years old. Now that is impressive.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

I to spent a cold, beautiful and crowded Memorial Day Weekend at Little Jimmy with the above person posting (although we did not meet). Trail from Islip Saddle is perfect for a first time backpack trip like you mentioned. Moderate uphill for some & nice even walking the second half. The Windy Gap Trail to Little Jimmy will be much more challenging for first timer with elevation (though that's the boy scouts route from the weekend). Lots of day hikes from Little Jimmy as well, to Islip or Hawkins and further.

Though the clouds made for spectacularly beautiful hiking, it was quite cold at night. Zero bugs b/c of cold and wind. The warmer days on the weekend small flies were around, but nothing that was a nuisance.

Spring was flowing cold and good, you will have no problem with it in June. All the scouts had bear canisters & others in camps were hanging bear bags. We did the latter and never saw any presence. I feel they have high activity b/c it has just been an established camp for so long that they feel bears may "know the area" as having food.

Great place for first backpacking as well b/c there are tables and established fire pits.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Thanks for the replies. Im all set, my pack is 24 lbs with food and water, and the wife is about 21lbs. Should be fun! Cant wait.
JDB22

Post by JDB22 »

Have a great trip! The weight sounds more than ideal. Best wishes.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

yobtaf,
I'm actually going to be heading up to Little Jimmy tonight after work for two nights so I may actually run into you and your wife on her maiden backpacking trip.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Dragon wrote: yobtaf,
I'm actually going to be heading up to Little Jimmy tonight after work for two nights so I may actually run into you and your wife on her maiden backpacking trip.
next weekend. Im set and ready to go.