Kind of snake in Ice House canyon

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
jro1348

Post by jro1348 »

I was hiking up Ice House Canyon trail heading up to the saddle on Sunday. Came across a snake on the trail below the Scouts huts. I was not able to react quick enough to get a picture of the snake. It was mostly all black, I remember seeing yellow on the tail, I never saw the head. The part I saw was about 2-3' long so maybe the snake was 4-6', maybe 2" thick. I have been looking online for the type of snake. Most sites have it as a King Snake. I was wondering what kind of King Snake if that is what it is.

Any guestemations?

On the way down a couple said they saw a snake near the saddle what I could understand they said it was an all black snake on the trail. I never saw that one.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

lovely :roll: I am so excited to go hiking now. :(
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:lovely :roll: I am so excited to go hiking now. :(
You any relation to Indiana Jones? :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
You any relation to Indiana Jones? :lol:
Never saw that movie. Was he a snake fan?
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

If it was a California Desert Kingsnake, then they will feed upon rattlesnakes when given the chance. I saw two of these last week in Towsley Canyon near Santa Clarita. I tired to usher the larger one off the trail, so it didn't get hit by a mountain bike, but it turned right around and came at my stick. Wasn't sure if it was just curious or was getting aggressive, because it then went into the brush. The ones I saw were chocolate brown with the creme colored bands all along it's body. Beautiful snakes.
jro1348

Post by jro1348 »

Doesnt look like any of those, it was not banded. I searched for a desert King Snake and it only shows those as banded snakes. It was solid black maybe even dark charcoal color.

I was pretty excited to see it, I have never seen a snake on that trail. I also never seen a snake that looked like it. Also to hear another report later that day, really got my interest going.

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

California Kingsnakes in our mountains are generally banded. Melanistic (all black) individuals do occur but those populations are usually observed on the Central Coast. We have seen California Mountain Kings in Icehouse, also, but they are red, white and black. If the dark snake you saw was REAL fast it may have been a Striped Whipsnake, although I am not sure if they are that high in the mountains. Western Patch-nosed snakes are similar but usually not at that elevation either. Hope this helps.
jro1348

Post by jro1348 »

No it wasnt too fast. It was not the Whipsnake, or Patch Nose. This snake was bigger diameter than those two, under 2".

I appreciate all the suggestions. My search continues.
I called the person I was hiking with. Asked if he could describe it to me(making sure the eyes and memory are working). Said the same thing I did. He was more excited as it was his third hike.