Hoegee campground wildlife

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

In the last 3 years, I've spent some time at Hoegee's camp and at that place I've seen a bear, twice. I suspect it might've been the same bear both times based on its size and location. Once at night, and once in the middle of the day. The nighttime event happened because I heard the bear grab my Nalgene bottle and I got out of my tent asking him what is he doing. Yes, I talked to him like he was a pet dog. He dropped my bottle and then headed to the slope going up from the upper campground. I shined my light at him and he stopped and stared then went up the slope. I wonder if anyone else has come across a large, dark bear there. [/list]
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

You are not alone.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I was up at Hoegee's about a year or so ago and my buddy had a bear encounter. I was planning on meeting up with him on Saturday morning; he was going to head out to camp on Friday. That Friday night he had just got his brand new bear can setup and ready to deploy when he saw a bear (~300 - 400lbs) heading down the south slope towards his camp (he had pitched camp at one of the sites that sites against that slope). He quickly put his dog in his tent and zipped it up to ensure his dog was out of any immediate danger. He then got on top of the stove at the site he was at and proceeded to bang the living hell out of the chimney stack while hitting the bear in the eyes with his headlamp in boost mode. The bear initially kept approaching his camp, but with all the noise and the lights in his eyes he thought better of it and headed back up the slope. My buddy actually had a really bad night sleeping since every sound he heard, he thought it was the bear coming back for another visit. Ever since then I always carry a bear can and my .45 where ever open carry is allowed in the wilderness.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dragon wrote: I was up at Hoegee's about a year or so ago and my buddy had a bear encounter. I was planning on meeting up with him on Saturday morning; he was going to head out to camp on Friday. That Friday night he had just got his brand new bear can setup and ready to deploy when he saw a bear (~300 - 400lbs) heading down the south slope towards his camp (he had pitched camp at one of the sites that sites against that slope). He quickly put his dog in his tent and zipped it up to ensure his dog was out of any immediate danger. He then got on top of the stove at the site he was at and proceeded to bang the living hell out of the chimney stack while hitting the bear in the eyes with his headlamp in boost mode. The bear initially kept approaching his camp, but with all the noise and the lights in his eyes he thought better of it and headed back up the slope. My buddy actually had a really bad night sleeping since every sound he heard, he thought it was the bear coming back for another visit. Ever since then I always carry a bear can and my .45 where ever open carry is allowed in the wilderness.
No offense, Dragon, but bears aren't dangerous (so no need for the .45) and your friend's dog was never in any danger.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

The .45 is more for piece of mind then anything else. I have been in some very remote places in the Sierra Nevada Range and both my buddy and myself felt much safer being armed versus unarmed. In fact, there were some other backpackers that made camp near us and they all felt a lot better camping next to the two guys both with guns. Honestly I never hope to ever use it, but I would feel a little more naked without it. I think of it a bit like a first aid kit; it's something that one should have but never really use. In fact, the last time I was up at the Little Jimmy trail camp I ran across a firefighter/LEO and we struck up a conversation that lead to open carrying. He told me that whenever he hikes San Gorgonio he always carries his shotgun with him just in case; for both the two legged threat and the four legged threat. One last thing to add to this; something that I learned from a fellow trekker on the trail. There is no one way to do something, everybody has their own way to accomplish their goals in the wilderness and nobody's method is wrong; it is right for the individual. So if someone wants to carry, good for them. If someone doesn't want to carry, good for them too. The same thing applies to people who are minimalist versus people that carry large loads. But for me personally (especially since the bulk of my trips are solo) I feel much safer out there with that 5 pound weight on me even though it can be a pain at times.
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

:shock: Jesus! I haven't realized how many people are packing heat on the trails. A gun isn't necessary. I frequent Chantry and all of my encounters with bears have been non-threatening and easily deflected with loud noise.
My first encounter was at the picnic tables by the parking lot/pack station. I was reading at a table when I looked up and saw a black bear about 20 feet away from me minding it's own business just walking along. All I had to do to get rid of it was bang my book on the table a couple of times and it went running up the hill away from me. It has been the same case with my other encounters; loud noise=running bear.
If you encounter a bear in the mountains, just make noise. :wink:
SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

Mike beat me to the submit button.. :oops: :lol:
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Recorded upstream from Hoegee's, outside cabin # 138 (Old San Antonio Hiking Club) by owner Steve Burns - I put the video to music...
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

SageUrsus, this was probably your Chantry Bear. I recorded this from the pack station porch. It was eyeing the goats...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dragon wrote: The .45 is more for piece of mind then anything else. I have been in some very remote places in the Sierra Nevada Range and both my buddy and myself felt much safer being armed versus unarmed.
Sigh... safer against what?
Dragon wrote: In fact, there were some other backpackers that made camp near us and they all felt a lot better camping next to the two guys both with guns.
See above.
Dragon wrote: In fact, the last time I was up at the Little Jimmy trail camp I ran across a firefighter/LEO and we struck up a conversation that lead to open carrying. He told me that whenever he hikes San Gorgonio he always carries his shotgun with him just in case; for both the two legged threat and the four legged threat.
Now that's just plain silly!
Dragon wrote: One last thing to add to this; something that I learned from a fellow trekker on the trail. There is no one way to do something, everybody has their own way to accomplish their goals in the wilderness and nobody's method is wrong; it is right for the individual. So if someone wants to carry, good for them. If someone doesn't want to carry, good for them too. The same thing applies to people who are minimalist versus people that carry large loads. But for me personally (especially since the bulk of my trips are solo) I feel much safer out there with that 5 pound weight on me even though it can be a pain at times.
Fair enough.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Sometimes one doesn't even have to hike as far as Hoegee's for a .45 to come in handy...

SageUrsus

Post by SageUrsus »

I've been looking for footage of black bears in Chantry for a while now so thanks for the videos PackerGreg. And what's the story behind the bear in the wheel barrel?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Remember Mike, we are not all automatons. What is silly to one is reasonable to another. Just because you think something is outrageous doesn't mean that everyone on the planet feels the same way. I respect your personal decision to not carry a firearm (even though I do not agree with it), so I do not understand why you cannot respect my perspective (remember I said respect, not accept).

As far as the safely that it provides, it is primarily a physiological effect. Especially since 99% of the time I am in the wilderness completely by myself and I only have myself to depend upon, I like to carry what I would need for any contingency that may arise; which means my first aid kit is also highly overkill for where I am, but I still take it just in case.

One last though about all the reactions that this has received; these responses makes me wonder what has happened in the individuals past that would account for the knee-jerk reaction that occurs in regards to firearms. A car or a knife can kill just like a gun can. What should matter is the intent of the individual, not what they are carrying. I see no reason why responsible adults should not be allowed to open carry. I'm not talking about yahoos that go out with a gun and then start firing into the hillside or the air; those people worry me as well. The fact is that guns in the mountains is not scarey, people with bad intentions are scarey and we would be better off in this country if we could recognize the difference between a person with bad intentions versus an object that is neither inherently good nor bad.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Stick to the original topic boys (which was simply about seeing bears while hiking and camping). Or start a new thread if you'd like to respectfully discuss something else.

PGreg - that bear better be asleep!!

(Hey Taco - did I just moderate my first thread?! I'm so proud!)

I saw a small black bear near Switzer's camp before the fire, and also one on the South Fork trail. Both times I had to say "Hey bear!" before they noticed me. Then they wandered off into the brush, probably annoyed I ruined their easy walk.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Deleted post...
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

cougarmagic wrote: Stick to the original topic boys (which was simply about seeing bears while hiking and camping). Or start a new thread if you'd like to respectfully discuss something else.

PGreg - that bear better be asleep!!

(Hey Taco - did I just moderate my first thread?! I'm so proud!)

I saw a small black bear near Switzer's camp before the fire, and also one on the South Fork trail. Both times I had to say "Hey bear!" before they noticed me. Then they wandered off into the brush, probably annoyed I ruined their easy walk.
You're right, CM re: the stray thread.

I had the same thought as you. I hope that bear has ketamine on board and not lead!