How could you not love this face?

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This is footage from a documentary I'll be helping with this summer. Zoo 2 You is a wildlife education group that uses rescued animals to teach people about conservation. They're taking care of the famous Burbank kittens.

They recently lost Cody, one of two adult cougars they care for, to lymphoma.

CODY - a tribute from David Elkins on Vimeo.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Hi CM. Beautiful animals. Just curious, how are our local kitties doing? Does Socal have a good healthy population thriving here? I know some would say they must be doing fine since they are spotted all over, but I was wondering if the smart folks who pay attention to actual numbers would agree with that.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

longcut wrote: Does Socal have a good healthy population thriving here?
Populations in our big mountain ranges are fine (San Gabriel, San Bernardino, Los Padres). In the smaller areas, not so much. The Santa Monica population is crashing. They need better corridors if they are to survive there.

No one can make a definite claim either way (overall), since the only studies going on are in Orange County and the Santa Monicas. The OC study loses a lot of cougars to roadkill and depredation permits, but the population isn't threatened by that at this point.

I'd guess - stable in most places. Not increasing. (I saw a big drop in San Gabriel sightings after the Station Fire, up until very recently)