Iron Mountain, 10-May-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tim

Post by Tim »

This was a solo, first ascent (for me) of Iron Mountain from Heaton Flats.

Trail Conditions:
  • The first part of the trail up to the start of the series of bumps is fine. No problems here.
  • The middle part with all the bumps up to the helicopter landing zone is fairly overgrown. Brush is enchroaching onto the trail the entire way. It's passable but if you wear shorts (like I did), you're going to get scratched up.
  • The final part is full of yucca plants everywhere. I spent some time trimming a few of them with my knife but I couldn't get to all of them.
  • There are tons of flies and bugs. I was tormented by a swarm of flies that followed me the entire way from the helicopter pad to the top. At the summit they went away and they didn't bother me too much on the way down, maybe because I was moving faster. Check for ticks and other hitchhikers because you're constantly in contact with the brush.
  • I met two guys who turned back at Allison Saddle and a Sierra Club HPS group of 15 who made the summit. No one else that day.
The Good:
  • This is a very difficult and challenging trail--definitely the hardest hike closest to L.A. So for people who like tough hikes and live in L.A., Pasadena, Glendora, etc., it's more convenient than going to San G or San J, etc.
  • The vegetation is very diverse. There are a lot of wildflowers and the aroma is often very pleasant.
  • The views at the summit are great. It feels like SGM center stage with all of the other mountain peaks surrounding it.
  • It has a very well kept summit register. I read entries going back to 2002.
  • Not a lot of people on this trail.
  • It feels remote.
The Bad:
  • The hike is pretty much entirely in chaparral. Some people might like this, but I really dislike brush. I'm a coniferous forest kind of guy.
  • All the bumps and saddles. There's probably a dozen of them? But I guess it is a ridge route.
  • The last part is just too steep. I know some of you guys like that, but I don't like it that steep on a hike. It gets annoying trying to maintain your footing on the loose soil and even more annoying descending it. I like steep, but only if it involves climbing (3rd class rock or alpine climbing).
  • It's hot, dry and there are a lot of bugs in the summer. You might want to bring a headnet.
  • It's a use trail so it's not maintained as well as some other trails. If I ever go again, I'm bringing some garden shears to help maintain the trail.
It was cool until the marine layer lifted at around 10am:

Brushy:

Views of the Baldy traverse:

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice pics, and I agree with you. I'm not too dandy on the extreme loose footing. Poles help out bigtime on this route.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Nice TR Tim!

Yes I learned after doing a ridge route to Monrovia Peak to wear long sleeves if I ever hear something about brush!

Even then I still managed to cut my ankle and arm on the damn yuccas on the way up Iron
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yeah Taco, poles are definitely handy on this one. Good for balance and good for slowing your rate of descent otherwise it's real easy to get out of control and hurl yourself onto a yucca plant, ouch!

I think I got stabbed by those damn things a dozen times, JM. They even got me while I was trimming them. Forget waterboarding, we should throw Al-Qeada on a yucca plant a couple of times.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i hiked the trail at heaton flats up up and up before i even knew
anything about IRON MT. i've only been as far as the flat spot
before ascending the ridge.

this trip report has inspired me to go back...thanks...it looks like fun
im going to camp on the summit of every peak i can.