Feeler: SGMDF Official Adventure Race!

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's what I'm thinking. I doubt I will plan on incorporating ropes/climbing/etc etc into it.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

If you want a challenge, I recommend a good in/out hike. Going up hill on the second half of your journey is pretty much always awful :) Something like Vincent Gap to Crystal Lake and back.

As for carrying 5 gallons or whatever you mentioned earlier, maybe it can be something relative to weight? I weigh 110lbs, I'm not carry 5 gallons anywhere :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If it's done as a team, which I'd like, then the team would need to find a way to move the dummy or watercans from pt A to pt B. That kinda thing. :-)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I just hope we all get a trophy. All of us.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You'll get a swift kick in the ass.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

I heart you so much
NOMAN668

Post by NOMAN668 »

I'd be interested in a race. I'll be watching this.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Well guys, looks like some winter weather is rolling in. I had originally planned on running the 'feeler' race around the Crystal Lake area, but I'm going to do it in a different location now... probably Shoemaker Canyon Road.

So, expect a total of 8 miles of running/jogging/whatever with some 'surprises' thrown in. :-)

Tentative date is Sunday February 26th. WHAT SAY YOU, SGMDF'ers?!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The only gear you'll be required to bring is yourself, water, food, whatever you take on a fast paced strenuous hike, whatever that may be.

Shoemaker Canyon Road: http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/shoemaker.html

It should be snow free, but maybe it won't be. Plan accordingly. :-) The unexpected is all part of the race.

Again, if you can make it on Sunday February 26, please say so in a reply. All are welcome. Feel free to invite others regardless of whether they're from the forum or not.

No prizes, no liability, no nothing, just work and fun. :-)
Max Falcon

Post by Max Falcon »

I wanna do it, but if we're in teams can I be on the- I like being outdoors and doing challenging tasks, this sounds fun but I want to enjoy myself going at a leisurely pace and get satisfaction from completing the race versus giving myself a heart attack to be number 1.. team? :)
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Can dogs participate?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

No, sorry guys.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Burchey wrote: I just hope we all get a trophy. All of us.

I totally agree with you, all of us should get a liquid trophy; Beer for the winners and the losers will have to drink the East Fork water!
As a general reward price we could pitch in and get a keg or more and enjoy a cool drink after the race....:':D' 666
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The prize is you get to drink outta East Fork. On a busy weekend. Daipers floating about.

SO GUYS, SUNDAY FEBRUARY 26TH. SHOEMAKER CANYON ROAD. YES YES?

You guys can bring dogs, go slow, go fast, do whatever, just make sure you can do it while going fast and the dogs have thumbs because you're going to be carrying heavy and at times awkward objects over several miles. I can't find any damn decent videos online showing what I'm trying to convey here, so just imagine running up a hill with some chumlies pulling a sled with someone on it, or fireman's carrying an 'injured hiker' for a hundred meters, and getting muddy or wet etc etc.

If you do this, you're invited to the big cool race that's in the works. It's gonna be tough, it's probably gonna suck ass, it's gonna make you incredibly tired and mad (or maybe not, if you're high speed badass material), etc etc.

Still sound good?

Seeya on the 26th at 6am sharp.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Taco wrote: The prize is you get to drink outta East Fork. On a busy weekend. Daipers floating about.

Commander of the amazing adventure race: I plan to be on the winning team so it will be beer for me!!!:D'':lol:'

Now, is there going to be a trek to Rtlesnake to fetch something back or go down the river for some gold?
Will there be any mural painting in any of the tunnels? we do need to do something of an artistic challenge! 666
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Taco wrote:
SO GUYS, SUNDAY FEBRUARY 26TH. SHOEMAKER CANYON ROAD. YES YES?

Seeya 6am sharp.
Comandante Taco, you must be mucho loco to expect the people to show up this early. At this hour, the children are just returning back home frm an all night partying and the adults are trying to make up some lost zzzzs time. Furthermore, its not very pleasant being near the river in winter time, its freeking coooooold,damp for the body to even think of anything else but drink something hot and stay indoors. Perhaps you should consider a bit later, unless this is part of the a.r. to start super early.... 666 ':shock:'
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

what's the route??
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Shoemaker Canyon Road from the gate in the south to the end of the dirt road in the north.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.24374,-11 ... River%20CA

A to B. There will be some HAPPY FUN TIME SURPRISES.
NOMAN668

Post by NOMAN668 »

I'm in, looking forward to it.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dang it! I'll be working in Ridgecrest that weekend. Can't wait to see the pics!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Can't make it, but appreciate that you have put this event together! Be safe and take pictures!
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

I would be in on this but alas, my daughter's birthday is that day. Otherwise I would totally join Falcon on the "go slow and smell the flowers" pace. I don't get out enough to be in shape to push the pace. Hopefully next time.
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm down...gotta work at 3 so i hope i win it quickly ;)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

LOL you're going down son! Nah j/k. Good to have you on! It should be over before 3.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Mr T.,
can you be a bit more informative about the race on Sunday? Like telling us when it will start and finish and bit more info of whats going to happen so we know what gear to bring. For some, there might be time to do something xtra maybe after the race if it starts and finishes insanely eaaarly!. I, also would like to see a later, like a 9am start time cause there are some people that live far away and will take an hour or more to get there. How about car pooling if possible? How long do we wait for the people show up before the race starts? Also we need to know a bit of the specifics so we can tailor our regular training regiment during the week in order to make better time during the race. So its time for you talk now.... 666
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

666-The Beast wrote: Mr T.,
can you be a bit more informative about the race on Sunday? Like telling us when it will start and finish and bit more info of whats going to happen so we know what gear to bring. For some, there might be time to do something xtra maybe after the race if it starts and finishes insanely eaaarly!. I, also would like to see a later, like a 9am start time cause there are some people that live far away and will take an hour or more to get there. How about car pooling if possible? How long do we wait for the people show up before the race starts? Also we need to know a bit of the specifics so we can tailor our regular training regiment during the week in order to make better time during the race. So its time for you talk now.... 666
'scuse me?

Bring shoes. The rest is a surprise.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

Taco wrote:

The rest is a surprise.
who likes surprises this early in the morn? I don't! So Ill have my own surprise for you all; its called the bailing out of the freak race show and onto: the easy stroll-walk to the bridge; the quick exit- a walk up to rattlesnake; the go along with the show then exit-go to rattlesnake via east side; the real temptation- go for the iron walk and watch the freak show from afar......
Again, please reconsider moving the start of the fun a few hours later....666
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Awww man, you mean you're not going?! So sad.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, maybe you should tell me how to do my job a little more often. I want another dad. Mine was kinda an enormous dick, so I'd like a second.

Can I start calling you dad? How about Fight On Junior? At least Fight On didn't tell everyone on the forum what to do... oh wait...

Take a break. I might reactivate your account if I am feeling like a super nice guy. You're second only to Fight On in the amount of complaints I receive from other users.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Sunday is rapidly approaching.

Here is the meeting spot: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.23348,-11 ... rvoir%20CA

Bring your game face and a sense of humor.