San Bernardino Peak Trail overnight

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Three friends and I just got back from an overnight at Limber Pine Bench on the San Bernardino Peak Trail. This is easily my favorite trail camp in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, but for some reason hardly anyone ever visits. Last night it was just us and a Marine and his wife and dog. In addition, I think we only saw another five people on the trail both Saturday and Sunday. WTF? This is a great hike.

There is almost no snow until just below the trail camp, but all the north-facing slopes above Limber Pine Bench are snowed in and require ice axe and crampons.

More pics here.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Nice Trip Report simonov. Nice pictures too. I did that hike with my friend Charles and his friend late last year. But we just zoomed past that camp site area and tagged the peak and went back. That section where you stayed really stood out and was beautiful. The snow makes it look even better than when I went. I got to get into camping someday. Too afraid of Bears. :roll:
simonov

Post by simonov »

I have stayed at Limber Pine Bench many times over the years. It is really lovely.

Sadly, I have never been there when it is clear in the valleys; the views would be stupendous, otherwise.

If you would like to try overnighting (in many ways easier than day hiking) you should sign up for one of these:

http://hiking.meetup.com/217/calendar/7505070
http://hiking.meetup.com/217/calendar/7505032
http://hiking.meetup.com/217/calendar/7505040
http://hiking.meetup.com/217/calendar/7505046

Bears are no big deal. They never bother backpackers in the San Gorgonio Wilderness.
Nunc est bibendum
Tim

Post by Tim »

Looks like a great trip! I really like the San Bernardino Peak trail from Angelus Oaks as well. San Bernardino Peak doesn't get much hype but it's one of the few 10k+ peak and the views must be awesome on a clear day since it was the baseline survey point for all land in SoCal.

Btw, bears do occasionally bother backpackers in the SGW. I was day hiking Vivian Creek to San G last fall and met three backpackers, 2 guys and a girl. The girl was solo and the night before at Halfway Camp she was eating dinner and a bear kept approaching her. It wasn't aggressive, but still very persistent. It didn't seem to be very afraid of humans. Since she only had a tarp, the other 2 guys were concerned for her safety and invited her into their tent for the night (ahem... :roll: She was pretty cute). Anyhow, there were other incidents that fall of bears ripping into food bags that were hung in a tree so proper bear/food precautions should probably be utilized.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, the Vivian Creek Trail has gotten a bad reputation for bear problems. However, bear problems outside of the Vivian Creek are few and far between. I've encountered bears on the trail a couple of times, but no trouble came from it.

Check out Simonov's links to the OHBC John's Meadow trips. John's meadow is a good first back pack, although you're probably in shape to take on something harder if you wanted to. John's Meadow is in a pretty area, is generally well shaded, has a bomb-proof water supply, and has some good tent sites. It's also a really easy hike -- about 3 miles to get in. There is one kinda ugly downed tree right before you get to Forsee Creek, but you can detour around it.

Backpacking is highly cool and a great camaraderie builder. It's really cool to sit around in the wilderness eating together and talking "around the campfire" (that's in quotes since a lot of places you can't have a fire). Nothing like waking up to watch the sunrise from a 10k+ summit. The stillness in the morning is worth the sweat of climbing up all that way with a backpack.
One thing about bears: just to be on the safe side, do not bring food, deodorant, sunscreen, soap, chapstick, toothpaste, or anything with a smell that a bear might mistake as food into your tent at night. Put all scented items in an Ur Sack or Bear Vault (Bear Cannister). You can rent cannisters from the San Bernardino NF Ranger Station in Mill Creek and I think REI, A16, and Sport Chalet rent them as well. If you're really worried about it, you can get pepper spray, but I really think that's over kill.

Some other good beginner back packs might include Wildwood Trail Camp just north of the SGW. Round Valley in the San Jacs. I can think of 10 good first back packs in the San Gabs:
Switzer Trail Camp
Gould Mesa Trail Camp
Little Jimmy Trail Camp
Cooper Canyon Trail Camp
Cedar Grove Trail Camp (on the Chapman Trail in Icehouse Canyon)
Lower Tom Lucas Trail Camp
Valley Forge Trail Camp
Hoegee's Trail Camp
Mt. Lowe Trail Camp
Spruce Grove Trail Camp
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice TR simonov!
I hope your nose is feeling better ..

Looks like you went with the Argon 110.
:)
simonov

Post by simonov »

He219 wrote: Looks like you went with the Argon 110.
:)
Nope, I got the Gregory at the last moment!

Still takes a bit of getting used to . . .
Nunc est bibendum