Chantry - Newcomb's Pass - Rim Trail- Wilson -Upper WC

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Had to get in some miles this morning and wanted to hit the Rim Trail. I've never been on that before.

Got off to a 7:01AM start and made it up to Newcomb's Pass in a shade under two hours. The last person I saw before the Rim Trail was a fellow trail runner/scrambler heading down from the Pass. Temps were nice - never had to throw on my light shell. Had the Rim Trail all to myself.

Some older posts reported that the Rim Trail is in bad shape. Folks-- it isn't. This is a great trail giving some great views of the higher country (Waterman and Twin Peaks) as well as down into the Westfork area. Looks like CORBA has been up there doing some trail work. I could see some of their handy work. Areas that may have been sketchy are now very passable.
http://corbamtb.com/news/2012/01/04/rim ... -upcoming/

That said though, I wouldn't be comfortable doing this stretch with ice or snow.

Started the morning under high clouds, but by the time I got to Wilson a heavier layer had rolled in, but I was now above them. Some gusty winds near Wilson. Got a bit chilly.

Made my way to the Pavillion , sucked down a chocolate gel and powerbar and then made my way down Upper Winter Creek. Very nice running down WC. Lots of ferns and in the clouds.

Saw - lots of grey squirrels and one newt. The newt was on Upper Winter Creek well above Hogees. Kind of suprised that it made it that high above the water, but then again I've seen toads on the Toll Road just below Henninger flats. Go figure.

Nice long trip and again -- Rim Trail is great! Get up there before the snow and snakes! Not too many pics - batteries died
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

My son and I did the exact same hike yesterday, starting at around 7:30a. It was my first time on the very cool Rim Trail, and as you said, it's in great shape. It was tempting at Newcomb Pass to head down and check out the West Fork trail as well, but we had to get home to watch some football!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hope your teams won Dave - Good games - disappointed the Niners lost - Oh well -who cares - great trails - great day!