Great training hike-Verdugos

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I've been hiking for about 10 years now and have gotten pretty set in my ways. It is therefore nice when you find a new route or trail especially one so ridiculously accessible as the one I found today. I have found only one article describing this route which tell me it is rarely used. I met nobody on either the ascent or descent along the main connectors on a weekend which validated my second hand knowledge.

The Verdugos in general get little love with a fire road crossing its spine, all the mountain bikers, and the heat in the summer make it not very hospitable for hikers. The only trails that seem to get much use are the Vital Link trail from Wildwood(my favorite) and the trail from Brand Park.

The attraction for me is that it has great elevation gain in minimal mileage. In that aspect it is more related to the San Gabriels to the north then the more moderate Santa Monicas to the south. I had heard of some trails on the north side that started off of La Tuna but never actually explored that option. A recent article by a blogger rekindled my interest and off I went to explore. There are two trails that ascend the ridge with two "trailheads" for each in canyons next to each other. They both have signs showing La Tuna Canyon Park even though there is not much of a park there. This is not the Hostetler fire road, these are a little further to the west within 1/4 mile of each other.

My recommendation is doing this route clockwise versus counterclockwise. THis would result in you starting at the trail that starts at The Grotto which looks like a dump, the easterly trailhead. You start down into the canyon on the trail to the right. Within a hundred yards you're in the canyon, you'll notice immediately to the left a rock spray painted with a 2.0 on it. You will need to climb up a dirt slope to the left for about 50 yards heading generally towards the road through oak leaves. After this initial climb, the trail will magically appear in front of you. I'm sure this keeps most "curious" people off of this route. The trail is narrow as it switchbacks up the side of the canyon to get to the ridge. the trail is odd in that in sections it feels like a trail and in others it feels ike a firebreak. The workout will be a delight to those who do crosscountry and need those steep short climbs to stay in shape.

After two miles of climbing and roller coaster action you reach the Experimental Forest off of the Plantation Cut Off that connects to the main spine and the boring fireroad. The plus is you're at the high point so you can jog the next two-three miles down to the right to the other connector trail. You will pass the Vital Link connection and will know you're there when you see a "wave" chair and a brown plastic trailhead facing towards the San Gabriels. This connector is short if you stick to the ridge and has the steepest section and drops you down to the main trail. Per the map it shows a more gradual trail off of this ridge but I didn't take it nor did I notice where it connected to the ridge route. I'll explore that next time. From here you follow the trail to the westernmost trailhead(left) and walk back up to your car.

I started my hike from the other trailhead since I didn't realize the preferable route but it helped in route finding. The hike took me two hours but going the other way would probably cut off twenty minutes. The route is between 6-7 miles and you gain close to 2K in that initial two mile climb. Not bad for a training hike and a real gem for the experienced hiker that enjoys these type of trails.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I live up against the Verdugos and have done that loop a few times. You described it very well.

I occasionally hike to the ridge fire road starting at the top of Mesa Lila Rd., just to the east of Whiting Woods. A lot of it is basically straight up a fire break, which provides a good uphill workout for people who like such things. I have come down Whiting Woods, Hostetler, and the trails you used. One does need to have a tolerance for fire roads.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Trail maps for the area on Flickr...

(thanks Matt Maxon)

seotpt

Post by seotpt »

Going to visit family in the area in a couple of weeks. These maps will help me plan some hikes.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

seotpt wrote: Going to visit family in the area in a couple of weeks. These maps will help me plan some hikes.
Sorry. You can't use them unless you post a TR after your hike. With pictures. It's the rules. :D