San Gorgonio 9 Peak Traverse

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Ron and I discussed doing the San Gorgonio 9 Peak traverse in winter several times over the past year. After considering various options for where to start and end, we decided starting at the South Fork and ending in Angelus Oaks would be the best way to complete the traverse. After much discussion and planning we were ready to give it a try.

Ron, Cory and I met at The Oaks restaurant in Angelous Oaks at 5:30 AM on Saturday. We left 2 cars in front of the old store because the road to the San Bernardino Peak trailhead was muddy and rutted. We drove my truck up to the South Fork parking lot where Jeremy was waiting for us. By 6:15 we were on our way. We tried to go as light as possible on gear, knowing we would have to haul it all up to San Gorgonio, then across the entire ridge. With our moderate size loads, we made excellent time, arriving at the meadows around 8:30. We filled up on water then left the packed down trail and snowshoed toward the north side chutes. Once the slope increased, the weight of all the gear slowed us considerably. Getting up the chute with a full pack was very exhausting but by 12pm, we were on the summit of San Gorgonio.

Jeremy wasn't feeling good and decided to head back down. We stopped near the top of the NW ridge to melt ice for water while we watched Jeremy descend the ridge. (He ended up making it back to the trailhead by 6, for a 12 hour round trip to San G, with a full pack!) Cory, Ron and I then set off for Jepson, Little Charlton and Charlton. This was much harder than we thought it would be. The long day was beginning to wear us down and we were really slowing. The sun was setting as we descended the slope from Charlton to Dollar Saddle, where we set up camp a little below the saddle.

After quickly setting up tents, we were finally able to relax while we melted snow, ate and drank. Knowing we still had 5 of the 9 peaks remaining, we were up at 5:30AM Sunday (after loosing an hour because of the time change) and headed to Alto Diablo by 7AM.

We felt good and were making great time. Form Dollar Saddle to San Bernardino Peak was much more enjoyable than the previous days climb to San Gorgonio. The weather was perfect, snow conditions were great and the peaks along the ridge had great views of the area. The large drifts along the ridge were amazing. They made the normally scree and talus covered Shields Peak a lot more fun.

The views got better and better as we continued across Anderson, East San Bernadrino and San Bernardino Peaks. The views of the Yucaipa ridge from this section are amazing! By 12pm, we were on the 9th peak and feeling good.

We had studied the map and planned to descend the north ridge of San Bernardino peak and reconnect with the regular trail around the saddle at 8,500'. This ended up being a great way to get off the ridge, making for a quick descent back to a trail. Shortly after the saddle at 8500' we began following a set of tracks that basically stayed with the summer trail. We cut a few corners down snow filled gully's rather than walk the switch backs and arrived back at The Oaks at 4:45. It was an exhausting but fun 2 days and a great variation on the 9 peaks traverse.

More pictures are here
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

What an amazing trip. Thanks for the great report and pictures!
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D Awesome! Inspiring! And a little green with envy.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Hvydrt - that's an amazing two day adventure - pictures are assume :D 6 of those nine rarely see anyone in the winter, like normal I'm a little Green with envy as well. Thanks for sharing that TR
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Strong work, Mark! Congrats to you guys on a most excellent trek. 8)
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Great work! I'm jealous as well, this is what it is all about.

Seriously, I'm about to bite a chunk out of my desk this rules so much. You guys are out living the dream.
James

Post by James »

Great pictures and TR! Wow, amazing to do that in winter. Now I want to try that! Thanks for sharing.
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Nice work. Great trip report and pictures.
Saw this trip report on the Mt San Jacinto forum
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=2835
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice stuff. Great winter trip.

HJ
turtle

Post by turtle »

Great trip and photos! Add me to the list of envious forum members.

I'm tempted to point out that you went in the wrong direction and took one day too long, but I suppose we can cut you some slack on account of the heavy packs and snow. :wink:
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

That's huge. Great pics. Yes I'm jealous too....but maybe not in shape to do such epic trek.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

What a great trip - thanks for the report and pictures. We'll be following your footprints on Saturday, but only as far as San Gorgonio (if we even get that far).
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

turtle wrote: I'm tempted to point out that you went in the wrong direction and took one day too long
Hmmm, that reminded me of what you were training for, how about the triple crown in winter..........
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

great trip, did this last summer going to do it again this summer (well late spring).
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Awesome.

I wouldn't even attempt to do that without snow on the ground. You guys must hate kryptonite. :wink:
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

Excellent TR and great information. This is exactly what we were planning for our trip in Southern California this January and February.