Baldy with Friends

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Howdy All

I met Cindy, Lilbitmo! (Patrick) and Ty at Manker and we started sometime after 6 AM. Lilbitmo noted the holiday traffic coming home would be heinous, so the plan was to minimize our commute with a closer mountain. There was ice on the road and trail which could be fairly easily avoided. Took a short break at the hut, then Lilbitmo took us up the gully near the hut. We switchbacked up the ridge, staying near the bigger rocks and brush to decrease the possibility of getting hit with failling rocks.

It was a gorgeous morning with great visibility. As steep as the cross country was, it felt easier and more fun than slogging up the trail to the hut. Before long, we were at the ridge with only 600 more feet more to climb. The typical glacial Baldy wind hit and we donned jackets. Lilbitmo did his impersonation of a polar bear and wore shorts It must have been cold, because he actually had on a down sweater. Lilbitmo was on fire and disappeared up the ridge ahead of us. I love climbing uphill in the snow with the sound of wind blowing -- there's something very peaceful, comforting and solitary about it. The solace of the mountain.

We huddled together in a rock shelter for lunch but didn't linger too long due to the chilly wind. Made our way quickly down to the protected area between Baldy and West Baldy, where we started encountering other hikers on their way up the "trail." Some wore snowshoes, some just booted it up. Everyone wished each other a Happy Thanksgiving. When we reached the tree-covered ridge to the south of the bowl, the snow became deeper and more powdery. My microspikes started collecting huge snowballs, so I took them off. Had a fun though too brief glissade in the lovely powder before reaching the bowl. The trip down from the hut was much less icy and before long (about 1 PM) we were back at our cars.

A wonderful pre-Thanksgiving hike with friends -- thank you Lilbitmo, Cindy and Ty.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Happy Turkey Day everyone, it was fun to be out with friends before the holiday begins. Hope everyone from the board has a wonderful time.
Cindy it was nice to finally hike with you - Ellen and Ty thanks for getting out with me today, that was nice, looks like the snow may stay a few weeks :D
Eric Su

Post by Eric Su »

how much snow (in inches) was there at the summit? do you recommend snowshoes? Im going there friday
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Eric Su wrote: how much snow (in inches) was there at the summit? do you recommend snowshoes? Im going there friday
Not needed, there was enough tracks for anyone to follow without to much trouble. The snow has different levels in different areas but nothing more than a foot in any one spot except the drifts on the ridgelines between Baldy and Harwood and even then it's only 18 inches.

The traverse to Iron is too hard to perdict - my guess is it's not that much snow but be safe and bring the gear and act as if, good luck.