Where to take my kids??

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
longcut

Post by longcut »

So, plan A, Little Lakes up above Rock Creek Lake. Easy 5 miles, beautiful. Problem is we have some possible weather this week and this hike is over 9'000ft. So its time to work on a plan B just in case. I'm hoping for Something in 6000-8000ft range with campsites 2-5mi apart and plenty of water, duration is 2 nights. Only things I can think of is an up-and-back into the Kern River. I have a feeling there's some short loops in SEKI on the west side but I'm not familiar with that area. And it's october so maybe I dont even need a permit? I know this is not really related to our local mtns but yall know the sierras pretty well so I thought I'd put it out there while I research some stuff on my own. If all else fails then maybe Chantry. Thanks in advance!!
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

How much driving do you want to do?

I took my son when he was 5 on his first backpacking trip up to Twin Lakes near Kaiser Peak in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. If you've never been this is a great area accessible by one of the most scenic mountain roads in the Sierra. Take 168 out of Fresno up to Huntington Lake and then continue on Kaiser Pass Road. To do the Twin Lakes hike, take the turnoff towards Sample Meadow. Of course there are a lot of other options in this area as well. Edison and Florence Lakes are reached this way as well as my favorite High Sierra stop, Mono Hot Springs (you can have a soak, a massage and a beer!)

The Twin Lakes hike is pretty easy with lots of nice campsites and Kaiser Peak is right there too. Great area!
longcut

Post by longcut »

robnokshus,
this sounds exactly like what i was after! thanks man! i'm going to look into that right now. in the meantime folks, please keep the suggestions coming. you guys are awesome, you always come through in a pinch, i hope to help as well someday.