Kratka Ridge +: 09-24-2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My camera took me for a hike up to Kratka Ridge (point 7515') via a roller coaster tour of the ridge that connects it to Mt. Waterman. Took a gazillion pictures - especially of Twin Peaks' east ridge. Found an old building that appears to have been at the top of a rudimentary ski lift.

Cross-country travel in this area is easy - not much brush. Lots of rocks to climb on. I came across several old and overgrown road beds that seem to crisscross the area - they don't appear on any maps I've seen. Just a few bugs, nice weather.

I'll put up a route soon (edit: see last 2 pictures at link below).

Pics.

East ridge of Twin...

Excitable rock...

Old building...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Very nice! That old shack is cool. Never heard of that being up there. It looks rather well kept actually.

Was about to complain about no track photos - but then I saw the sheep poop, and was happy.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote: Very nice! That old shack is cool. Never heard of that being up there. It looks rather well kept actually.

Was about to complain about no track photos - but then I saw the sheep poop, and was happy.
Thanks!. I thought that was sheep! Yay. There are a lot of areas that actually looked like they were corrals - a lot of traffic and none of it human as far as I could tell. Too sandy to ID any animal.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Nice. Thats some rugged terrain below the ridge there...somewhere to disappear and never be heard from again. I wonder if anyone has ventured down to Bear Creek from there.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

scouting your next hike? 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice photos of some nice country.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW I bet you could descend down into the upper part of Bear Creak then go upstream to the saddle between Twin and Waterman if going downstream was not viable.

Ze', not my next hike but maybe eventually. Maybe. Think of it as a recon mission for crazy people like you! Actually, was your route down to Triplets mostly on the north or the south side of the ridge? Or 50-50?

Thanks HJ, it was certainly not a hard hike but it sure was good for the soul.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote: Thanks HJ, it was certainly not a hard hike but it sure was good for the soul.
You had some beautiful light. Some of your photos came out really really well.

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: Ze', not my next hike but maybe eventually. Maybe. Think of it as a recon mission for crazy people like you! Actually, was your route down to Triplets mostly on the north or the south side of the ridge? Or 50-50?
50/ 50 First half down to ~ 6500 on north side, then on south side to final ascent.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Nice photos of some nice country.

HJ
For real. Beautiful area.

Is this specifically for the ski lifts/tow ropes or was it for some other purpose?

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

outwhere wrote:

HJ

Is this specifically for the ski lifts/tow ropes or was it for some other purpose?

Nice! Pshaw on quad chairs. :x

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
outwhere wrote:

HJ

Nice! Pshaw on quad chairs. :x

HJ

Buckhorn Ski Club???
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That pully thingy was in a tree about 30 feet from the cabin. My guess is it was part of a lift of some sorts but have no idea for sure.

The whole time I was in the area of that cabin I had deja vu and I'm guessing I have seen pics of it here on this forum. Hmmm...buckhorn ski club rings a bell too.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There's a little road with a sign on it that I've seen that says "Buckhorn Ski Club" and lists some contact info.

It's where the "A" is on this topo map link.

It's been a long time since I've hiked through there, but I remember primitive looking rope tow type equipment.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks HJ. I didn't get over that far west. I was over near Buckhorn Spring to the east. The cabin is up hill from the spring
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: AW I bet you could descend down into the upper part of Bear Creak then go upstream to the saddle between Twin and Waterman if going downstream was not viable.
It'll have to wait a long time....I tried to set it up by doing Bear Creek, but that didnt happen. I cant make it to Triplet as a dayhike, and if its going to be 2 days, then IMO, the west ridge wins out...for now. Im thinking of trying a one day route from Devils Canyon up to West Twin and return via 3 points.