Three Times More Fuel Than You Need?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've got an article on windscreens in particular and stove fuel economy in general in the August edition in Seattle Backpacker's Magazine: http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/2 ... s-the-fuel.

I've written a blog post that goes with the article. The blog post discusses a few windscreen alternatives, including some that may not have occurred to you (they didn't to me): http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com ... reens.html

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

"I wuz robbed!" (by the wind!)

I love a good heavy-duty foil windscreen for my Esbit (and there's no risk of explosion), but now I'm going to try a bottom shield too! Great stuff Jim.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote: "I wuz robbed!" (by the wind!)

I love a good heavy-duty foil windscreen for my Esbit (and there's no risk of explosion), but now I'm going to try a bottom shield too! Great stuff Jim.
Hi, CM,

You don't absolutely have to have a "bottom shield" with an ESBIT type stove, but it will make your stove a bit more efficient if you do use one. The real purpose of the bottom shield is keep the canister from overheating, which isn't an issue with an ESBIT stove.

The essentials of stove fuel economy:
-Turn it down! A low flame is much more efficient. (not applicable with ESBIT)
-Use a lid. Escaping steam = escaping heat = wasted fuel.
-Use a windscreen.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

great info, thanks :) Im digging the Jim woods kite screen. Keep the info coming. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: great info, thanks :) Im digging the Jim woods kite screen. Keep the info coming. 8)
:lol: Yeah, that kite screen is pretty creative. I haven't tried it, but I think it would work in some pretty fierce winds. If you just use trekking poles or sticks, it really wouldn't weigh much or take much room up in your pack.

I'm always surprised how little basic stove information is out there in easily (hopefully) digestible form.

Even something as basic as my "essentials of stove fuel economy" isn't widely known.
The essentials of stove fuel economy:
-Turn it down! A low flame is much more efficient.
-Use a lid. Escaping steam = escaping heat = wasted fuel.
-Use a windscreen.

HJ