South Fork Fail 7.17.11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

My wife Robbin and I and our two dogs got a late start Sunday morning for the South Fork trail up to Islip Saddle. We left Burbank around 7:30. Never having hiked this trail before I wasn't quite sure where the trailhead was. I knew it was in the general vicinity of Devil's Punchbowl. When I pulled over near the Punchbowl to consult my map, I realized I was on the wrong side and needed to drive around to the Big Pines turnoff. I got back on route and was soon driving up alongside Big Rock Creek.

Quite the popular day use area, though from what I could tell, not as trashed as the San Gabriel River. We passed one small campground and did a loop of the South Fork CG as campground recon was a part of this mission, parked and were on the trail by 9:30. Not ideal as we were to learn.

I felt pretty good and the dogs were in high spirits (always) but the wifey was a little pokey so the going was fairly slow. The trail is in the sun I'd say about 95% of the time with little pockets of shade here and there. It doesn't look like it gets a lot of use and probably hasn't seen a trail crew in a while, though I'm not complaining. Lots of rocks and scree and a few dicey areas. There were nice views of the creek below and I kept scanning the crags across the canyon for Bighorns but spotted none, though I would imagine they hang out here.

We broke for lunch at a wide spot on the trail under the shade of some oaks where the roar of the stream was replaced by the sound of motorcycles on ACH. I was beginning to become concerned with the heat and the effect of the trail on the dogs feet as well as Robbin's stamina. We still probably had a bout a mile to go to reach Islip Saddle and a lot of exposed trail between us and there. I was also running low on water (me and two dogs sharing 3L) I noticed a creek crossing on the map not too far ahead, so we motored on. I almost missed the water as it was but a trickle. I had crossed what appeared to be a dry creekbed and was waiting in the shade for Robbin to catch up when I noticed pools down canyon. I backtracked and found a small pool amongst the rocks and had the dogs lap up some nice cool water. I pumped the camelback full and we proceeded up a little ways until a really loose scree slope stopped our progress. At this point it was obvious that the best thing for us to do was to head back down.

We made fairly good time for a while until it became apparent that our larger dog, Maggie, was having a difficult time. The heat of the trail and the sharp rocks and scree were taking a toll on her feet. I really felt bad and had I known the condition of the trail I would not have brought her. Time to invest in some booties. Ozzy is little and he was managing fairly well. We hiked from shade to shade the rest of the way down. At one point we emptied the contents of my wife's daypack into mine and Ozzy rode down in her pack, much to his delight. Maggie wasn't so fortunate and it was my constant cajolling and encouragement that finally got her downhill. Poor thing. A couple of times she would stop in the shade and refuse to get up. I was concerned about her cramping up and it was obvious each time she would get up from a rest that it was tortuous for her. I promised her that if she made it down to the creek, I would carry her all the way to the car. At one point, with just a few switchbacks left to the creek, she plopped down and would not budge. I picked her up and put her over my shoulder and negotiated rocks and scree to the next switchback and then she made it the rest of the way down. I carried her to the water where she lay down in the cool stream, exhausted.

We rested by Big Rock Creek for a while until everyone was sufficiently cooled down and then I picked up Maggie and carted her off across the creek. I had her over my shoulder, but at 65#s this wasn't going to do. I found a rock that I was able to set her on while I put my head under her belly and hoisted her up onto my neck, holding her front and rear legs. I carried her like this, all the way to the car as promised. Ozzy was no worse for the wear. Inspecting Maggie's feet showed a torn pad on one of her front paws which we've doctored up and she should be fine, albeit a little sore for a few days.

Kind of a wordy TR for a fail but valuable info if you were considering taking your pooch up the South Fork Trail. Don't.

No pics on this trip save for one of Ozzy and his trail taxi (hope he doesn't start expecting this)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

That trail is a tough one - in summer, it's hot, and in winter the stream crossings at the bottom can be impossible. The "top" mile and a half, down from Islip Saddle, is actually well maintained and a shady stroll in the park. Your dogs would enjoy that sometime, if you want to see the rest of the trail without all the "work".

Thanks for taking care of those pups, and for giving people a heads up that it's not very dog friendly.

For dog footwear, I still like using baby socks (cotton/spandex). Two layers works well. They fit great, stay on, insulate from heat, and still let the foot flex and breathe. They'll get shredded, but they're cheap so for the occasional hike it's no problem.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good TR.

Was that slide that turned you around really uncrossable or was it just an appropriate time for you to turn around?

HJ
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Was that slide that turned you around really uncrossable or was it just an appropriate time for you to turn around?
It was pretty loose but most likely passable, though at this point I didn't want to risk anyone, dog or human, sliding down the hill. It was the last straw kinda thing.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

robnokshus wrote:
It was pretty loose but most likely passable, though at this point I didn't want to risk anyone, dog or human, sliding down the hill. It was the last straw kinda thing.
Gotcha.

Thanks,

HJ