Poachers

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
rios

Post by rios »

First I would like to say this sub-forum is sweet. I enjoy all the wildlife footage, as I'm sure you all do as well.

I have a small concern though...

I notice some of you post the locations of where you guys get your photos/videos.

You never know who lurks these forums.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal when it comes to the deer or mountain lion threads...but I'd be protective of info regarding the bighorn in the SGM.

Just an idea.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

It's an excellent point you make. I think about this a lot.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

I like Eggs Benedict
rios

Post by rios »

PackerGreg wrote: I like Eggs Benedict
rios

Post by rios »

cougarmagic wrote: It's an excellent point you make. I think about this a lot.
I don't want to sound like an alarmist.

The most recent sheep poaching incident I can think of was back in 2006.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=4778507

The news reported it as a lost hunter who was later found dead.

Rumor on the hunting forums (from sources in Wrightwood), was that the guy was a poaching sheep. His group had killed three sheep that had "radio transmitters" on them. According to the locals, the DFG didn't want the details getting out onto the news.

If any of you have been out on D11 during hunting season, you'll see none of this is farfetched. Luckily, most people keep to the major roads in the Angeles and will probably never see sheep.

Guys pop up on hunting forums all the time asking, "Where can I hunt [insert animal here]?"

Luckily, most people keep their spots a close secret. But anyone with decent google skills can find one of these threads, and with a bit of research and walking...taking a bighorn would be no problem.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

My first thought is that it seems most of our sightings of sheep are in sort of "common knowledge" places (not at all uncommon on Baldy, and that general area). But maybe I have tunnel vision about how many people know these places at all. After all, a lot of my friends ask where I go hiking, and I usually have to describe it as "those mountains you see above Pasadena", and then I get weird looks and comments like "Oh, I didn't know people could even go there."

I would think it's pretty safe to report sightings at either super obvious places (off the side of the road at Manker) or super obscure or difficult to reach places. (Can't imagine trying to drag a 300lb sheep out of a technical canyon, for instance).

Most of our animals are constantly on the move, and will be 10 miles away from where you saw them by the next day. I'd say the exception is bears, who seem to hang out in one spot.

For lions, I can think of only 3 places among probably a couple hundred now that I've tried where they've ever gone by more than once.

On the other hand, though it's fun to know if an animal has been somewhere you've hiked, the location doesn't really matter that much if you have a good photo. Why not be protective of them as much as possible.
rios

Post by rios »

cougarmagic wrote: My first thought is that it seems most of our sightings of sheep are in sort of "common knowledge" places (not at all uncommon on Baldy, and that general area). But maybe I have tunnel vision about how many people know these places at all. After all, a lot of my friends ask where I go hiking, and I usually have to describe it as "those mountains you see above Pasadena", and then I get weird looks and comments like "Oh, I didn't know people could even go there."

I would think it's pretty safe to report sightings at either super obvious places (off the side of the road at Manker) or super obscure or difficult to reach places. (Can't imagine trying to drag a 300lb sheep out of a technical canyon, for instance).

Most of our animals are constantly on the move, and will be 10 miles away from where you saw them by the next day. I'd say the exception is bears, who seem to hang out in one spot.

For lions, I can think of only 3 places among probably a couple hundred now that I've tried where they've ever gone by more than once.

On the other hand, though it's fun to know if an animal has been somewhere you've hiked, the location doesn't really matter that much if you have a good photo. Why not be protective of them as much as possible.
You make a good point about the "Tunnel Vision". Most folks in this forum would not have a hard time finding wildlife. To us it is common knowledge.

I fly fish and hunt. Both communities are very protective (for good reason). This website provides the most information (including photos) that I've seen on wildlife in the ANF. I could see some folks abusing that information if they stumbled across it.

Either way, just something to ponder over.