Register Ridge - 2011-06-27

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

a BIG shout out to cab, Taco and Norma R for their information, assistance and guidance prior to this hike in the forest.

lots of cars, for a monday, at manker flats.

didn't miss the unmarked ski hut trail trailhead, been here before, and didn't miss the unmarked register ridge trail trailhead, been here before. both are subtle - just keep an eye out for them.

the register ridge trail is uncompromisingly uphill. across the canyon can be seen the route of the ski hut trail that meanders by comparison, while this one is a non-moving escalator to the top. if in doubt, just stay on the ridge going up.

great views today. no one else on the trail until the devil's backbone trail junction. and he was solo.

a few snow patches remain on baldy's flanks - filled up the nalgene and had ice water - my favorite - with lunch on the summit.

through the antelope valley and beyond haze saw some sierra snow.

norma r and daughter, quite to my surprise, summitted a little after we did, having come up the ski hut trail. had a chance to catch up on things.

returned uneventfully - except for soaking my head at the falls - to the car via the ski hut trail.

this is one of my favorite places.

thanks again to cab, taco and norma r.

photos here: https://picasaweb.google.com/bardley.sm ... isterRidge
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

8)
cab

Post by cab »

Way to go!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »