Hikes where the sun don't shine?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

So, it's summer. My least favorite time of the year. Exponentially more people on the trails. Snakes. And heat. I'm willing to deal with the first two (more or less) to escape that last one.

I seriously cannot stand hiking in the heat. Also, I really don't like to wear sunscreen so I'm a fan of being comfortable in long sleeves and a hat. Usually I just sit out the summer (July and August particularly) but I have some big hikes planned for September so I really need to keep pushing this year.

So to get to the point, anyone have any recs for not-so-hot, shady hikes?

I've actually never done Icehouse Canyon (I like to avoid people...) but it, er, sounds cold. We did Devil's Canyon last weekend it was still well too exposed and hot (and inside/out, which didn't help when you start early and come out midday). Chantry Flat usually stays pretty cool when you get to the bottom, but you still have to get back out. I know I can go up instead of down to find lower temperatures, but the sun at high elevations is usually too punishing for me. I realize this is just a long paragraph full of whining and I apologize.

I think I might just take up night hiking. Problem is, I get enough flack for 'being a girl, hiking alone' that the loved ones seriously draw the line at 'being a girl, hiking alone, at night'.

Anyone have any good strategies for staying out of the heat?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Icehouse Canyon has some sunny stretches, but the majority of the hike is under trees. However, it is mobbed on weekends. The huge, paved parking lot will fill up between 7 and 8AM. In spite of the name and the 5,000 foot trailhead, it can get into the mid 80's on the hotter summer afternoons.
simonov

Post by simonov »

The standard route up Baden-Powell is pretty shady.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Have you ever gone canyoneering? If not, it's cheap and lots of fun, and you stay cool. It would be easy to go with one of us when we descend a canyon, if you'd like.
Madrox

Post by Madrox »

Pick a creek that is flowing and walk up/downstream in it :)
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I second the recommendation on Baden Powell. I'd also recommend going to Waterman (via the Snowcrest area TH), Throop from Dawson Saddle (there's still snow there, even!), and the Islip saddle up to Islip. Most of those areas are well shaded and usually cooler than down here.

If you're ever looking at doing night hikes and not being alone, you can probably find company here on the messageboard. I live in Pasadena as well and would love to do some night hiking some time.
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

A few in the San Bernardino Mtns are well shaded. Start in the pre-dawn hours and the temps should be quite cool too.

In the San Gorgonio Wilderness, try the lower half of the San Bernardino Peak Trail (from Angeles Oaks to about Limber Pine). Its shaded, on the north side of a ridge, and STEEP for a great workout. 10 miles RT up to Limber Pine area

The Forsee Creek Trail - also on the north side of the SGW, shaded almost all the way to the ridgeline and Anderson Peak. About 12 miles RT.

Lower half of Vivian Creek Trail - south side of SGW, but heavily shaded up to the area between High Creek Camp and Halfway Camp (got to admit that I hate the heat on the lower mile of this trail when coming down at/after mid-day).

Grays Peak (west side of Big Bear Lake) - A shorter 6 mile RT hike, but all shaded.

Sugarloaf Peak (off Hwy 38 east of Big Bear). The lower half of the trail along Green Creek Canyon is heavily shaded, second half is partially shaded by a thinning treeline. 12 miles RT
VermillionPearlGirl

Great recs everyone thanks so much!!!

Yeah, the popularity of Icehouse always kept me away, but I usually hike 2-3 times during the week, maybe I can hit it up on a week day. It's just a lot of driving.

We were actually planning on doing Baden-Powell this summer. It seemed cooler than other mountains and I've never done it.

I've been interested in canyoneering from the trip reports you guys post and definitely appreciate the offer! But I'm sort of deterred by doing anything that requires more gear than a water bottle and a larabar.

Walking upstream is an idea I love! We almost did that in Devil's Canyon last week but I couldn't convince the husband. It's not going to stop the sunburns, but it definitely cools you down. I have a tendency to jump in water at every opportunity. But the San Gabriel River, for instance, seems to be pretty tree lined.

Waterman seems like a good option. Islip ultimately gets pretty exposed I think. And I very well might take you up on the night hiking company! I think I roped in a friend to do Echo Mtn on Monday or Tuesday. But I only just realized the sun isn't even going down till 8pm at this point, so it probably won't be all that night-y quite yet. But as long as it's cooler.

I've never hiked in the San Bernardino Mtns. But it shouldn't be any farther than going to Los Padres and we hike there all the time. Always interested in exploring new territory!

Thanks again!! At least I feel like I have some options now. I spent every morning this week thinking about going hiking and like sitting on my hands for lack of ideas :)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Start your hikes at dawn or earlier - that's the only way to avoid the heat this time of year.

I hate the heat too.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

The Winter Creek Loop (or, as I call it, the Hoegee Minh Trail) is almost entirely in the shade, and if you go counter-clockwise, you don't have to do the hill back to Chantry.
VermillionPearlGirl

So I'm still struggling even when I start early (it still seems to be unacceptably hot by the time I get out) or start late.

I did Echo Mtn last night with a friend, and starting at 6:30 it was still way too hot for an hour. Definitely have to start later...

Winter Creek is one of my regular morning hikes (nice nickname!). But you can't start there till 6am. Boo.

In frustration, I'm planning a trip to Oregon to get out of the heat.

Thanks again for all the help and listening to me complain excessively :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I did Echo Mtn last night with a friend, and starting at 6:30 it was still way too hot for an hour. Definitely have to start later...
If you're ever on Echo on a Wednesday night, stop by and say hello to the big group having a happy hour potluck on top around 7:00 - 8:15. I'm usually there. Look for a guy with a stove.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

I must have walked right by you! We were there last night and we did see a rather large group of people!

On the way down I shone my light on the 2 mile marker to see if it was in fact the 2 mile marker and there was an owl sitting on it who I unfortunately freaked out with my bright shining light and he flew right into my husband's face! Very eventful :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: I must have walked right by you! We were there last night and we did see a rather large group of people!

On the way down I shone my light on the 2 mile marker to see if it was in fact the 2 mile marker and there was an owl sitting on it who I unfortunately freaked out with my bright shining light and he flew right into my husband's face! Very eventful :)
Oh, that's very cool that you saw an owl!

Did you go all the way to the top or did you just stop at the old train disembarkation point? I'm trying to remember who I saw last night.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Go caving. :D
VermillionPearlGirl

Hikin_Jim wrote: Did you go all the way to the top or did you just stop at the old train disembarkation point? I'm trying to remember who I saw last night.
I'd be very surprised if you remember :) I think we ran in to the big group when we were approaching the top and they were coming down.

But wait, speaking of the top, what's the difference? The top isn't just where all those foundations and timeline info and all that are?

But I'm 30 y/o lady who has a tendency to hike in what look like purple pajamas (comfort!). I wear 5 fingers and I was with my t-shirt/jeans/sneaker husband.

Maybe we'll catch you next week!