Lupine Camp to Cabin Flat 6/16/11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Sometimes I get really excited thinking that although I've hiked all over the San Gabs for many years, there are still places I haven't been. Places that are no doubt just as amazing as everything else around here.

I've hiked Blue Ridge, and I've hiked the East Fork, but I ain't never seen Prairie fork. Today was the day!

The drive down the dirt road was just fine in my Subaru. My only trouble was going slow enough to dodge the occasional big rock in the road - the ones that suddenly appear around a corner, just waiting for you to be not paying attention. At Lupine, there were several SUVs and tents. It was nice and quiet, and I felt bad disturbing the peace of the morning by driving in. (it was about 10am).

My big plan (oh, I always have a plan) was to ride my bike as far toward Cabin Flat as I was able, then walk from there, hopefully to the junction with East Fork. Within 5 minutes, and right after talking to a nice man and his young son who looked at me like I was insane to be on a bike, my back tire went completely flat. No rescue, flopping around flat. So I ditched it in some bushes and just went for a hike.

The photo doesn't capture this, but most of the road (about two miles of it) is paved with dark purple lupines that smell like grape Bubble-icious gum. There were several drunken bees along the way as well.

Washouts show why this is no longer an option for vehicles:

Baden-Powell looms in the distance, while the road continues far right:

Bighorn!

Cabin Flat picnic tables being reclaimed:

Disappointingly, this is the condition of the route west from CF:

The creek flows with Sapphire Gin:

So I did not go any further today, given the brush. However, this sign welcomed me to try again someday:

Looking upstream back toward Lupine:

What a super nice place to get away from it all!

Has anyone traveled those mysterious last two miles in recent history?

Stats - about 5 miles total, 3.5 hours which includes mucking around with the bike, and looking at tracks. Saw Bighorn adult and lamb, adult bear, and lots of fox/coyote tracks all along the way. Nice butterflies too!
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Just beautiful, CM!
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

The campground being reclaimed by nature is a good sign of how remote the place is.
Looks like you had a great time!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Looks real nice! That road will need some work eh?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hmm...Praire Fork looks a tad furrier than I'd have figured. Thanks for the pictures!
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks for the report, I was wondering about that area. How good is the road to Lupine? Could I do it in a station wagon?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Marty wrote: Thanks for the report, I was wondering about that area. How good is the road to Lupine? Could I do it in a station wagon?
The road is in good shape. There is only one spot, right down at the bottom before the camp where a small flowing stream crosses the road. There is a deep, gravelly gully right there that would be tricky (maybe 4 or 5 feet wide and a foot deep) I would bring a shovel, and be prepared to smooth that part out a little if necessary. I scraped my front bumper a little on that. Otherwise, yes it is smooth (for a dirt road) and well packed.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Great pics!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Great report Cougar!
Some friends and I completed a through hike to Wrightwood from East fork through that section you mentioned a couple of years ago. We were'nt able to find an actual trail and so we bush-wacked and log hopped our way through until we reached the cabin flat area. That would be a good place to place some of your cameras IMHO. There is a TR in 2009 I think.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I know someone with a Jeep who could maneuver that road.... :wink: I would like to check it out. Very pretty, thanks for posting!!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I was thinking the same thing with my Jeep! Gonna head up there next week and see if I can manage somee trouble
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Funyan005 wrote: I was thinking the same thing with my Jeep! Gonna head up there next week and see if I can manage somee trouble
Don't get too excited - it's officially closed past Lupine, with a huge berm and big boulders in place of a gate.
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

cougarmagic wrote:
Don't get too excited - it's officially closed past Lupine, with a huge berm and big boulders in place of a gate.
Boulders = fun. Just how big is big?

rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Wow! That looks awesome. The flowers are amazing this year!
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Many people have been cited for attempting to drive past Lupine down to Cabin Flat. Not only is the road closed due to washouts, but it's also still a limited use area due to the mtn yellow legged frog, so if you get caught back there in a motorized vehicle, be prepared to dish out some big bucks on several fronts.

The trail from Cabin Flat to Prairie Fork/Mine Gulch has not been passable (without some serious bushwacking) for many years. Too little foot traffic, difficult access for maintenance, and a being close to year round water = thick brush.

nice pics and report
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice pix, CM. (catching up on some old posts)

HJ
WLD

Post by WLD »

Thanks for the pictures and the trip report CM. We are headed up there tomorrow. A few of us are going to ride in on our horses to check the area out for a future pack trip, giving us a longer stay and time to really explore the area.
I had headed there a week or so ago solo and my horse threw a shoe at about mile 8-9 so I had to turn around to get him out safely. Here are some pictures with that trip report.

WLD

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580714058PbzsEQ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

WLD wrote: I had headed there a week or so ago
Wow, those are great photos. What a perfect place for a ride like that. have a great time and please post more pics! I love the tracks of course. That was definitely two, possibly three lions. Looks like they moved off away from you, but they didn't run. Did your horse smell them?
WLD

Post by WLD »

cougarmagic wrote:
WLD wrote: I had headed there a week or so ago
Wow, those are great photos. What a perfect place for a ride like that. have a great time and please post more pics! I love the tracks of course. That was definitely two, possibly three lions. Looks like they moved off away from you, but they didn't run. Did your horse smell them?
I am sure he knew they were around. But I doubt he knew exactly what they were. He did not feel threatened and a horse is an expert at reading body language. If a horse feels threatened, he will let the rider know They, the cougars, had moved off the rode down the hill. I kept a look out to try and get a picture of them. But those cats can be elusive.
I am looking forward to the trip tomorrow. I am not sure if I am taking Bubbs again or another horse of mine called G. G is an endurance race horse. And can make the 24 miles easier than Bubbs. But I have a couple other people going along. So I have to talk to them and make sure my horse is as evenly paced as possible with thiers. Otherwise, G would leave them behind. One of the people going is my farrier. That way if I lose another shoe I have the shoer with me!!!!!! I will post a trip report when we return. Thanks again for your trip report and pictures.

WLD
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Were you by chance up there with a bunch of other horse riders? I drove up last week sometime for a overnight to little jimmy and passed a trailer at inspiration point with about 10 horses. I was jealous!
WLD

Post by WLD »

Funyan005 wrote: Were you by chance up there with a bunch of other horse riders? I drove up last week sometime for a overnight to little jimmy and passed a trailer at inspiration point with about 10 horses. I was jealous!
I went solo last time I was up there. I prefer if I can get off work to go in on weekdays. There are a lot less people and a lot more active wildlife. After years of climbing, hiking and backpacking, even a thru hike of the JMT. I am really enjoying the backcountry horse riding and packing.
Teejate

Post by Teejate »

Well done.

I was just there last week for an overnighter. My first time and not my last.
First day was the trail up and over the ridge behind the campground toward Fish Fork Trail. The next day was in the direction you took and your pics brought back some nice memories.

I found the terrain to have had a different look and feel than much of what I've encountered in the area. And, like you, I love hitting those spots that are new and just soaking it all in.

Thanks again.