Mt. Waterman via west ridge: 06-04-2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hiked up to Mt. Waterman from Three Points trail head. Instead of taking the trail all the way to the junction with the trail to Waterman/Twin Peaks, I jumped onto Waterman's west ridge at a point where the trail passes within a few yards of the saddle at 6640+. Followed the ridge all the way up to Waterman then returned via the trail, making a nice loop hike.

Beautiful day to experience this incredibly scenic ridge. There is an occasional use trail (pretty good one too!), and a good mixture of flat streches and steep climbs through some scenic rock features. Class 2 at worst, class 3 if you're lazy and take a direct route instead of looking for a way around stuff :)

Pics (sorry but I took a bunch of them).

Wind was strong from the south so I stayed mostly on the north side of the ridge when possible. The wind created some striking cloud formations (cool how the contrail casts a shadow onto the cloud)...

My favorite plant (snow plant?) in the San Gabriels (I usually only see 1 or 2 at a time, but today I saw at least 30)...
obie

Post by obie »

Nice.

Damn, that 'snow plant' looks huge. How big? Could be holding aliens?
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Great pics! I'm itching to head up on SR-2 (I've never actually driven on that highway) one of these days, Waterman/Twin Peaks being my primary targets.

A tr posted hours just after a hike is what I call super efficient.
norma r

Post by norma r »

great photos HikeUp! Saw the cool clouds from Iron Mountain yesterday. There was even a interesting and dense cloud bank to the west as i drove home that created a pretty sunset. i always love seeing Snow Plant too. i really like those little green plants right next to it. nice composition.

i have to hike Waterman one of these days. are there trails to Kratka Ridge too? (not that "not having a trail" has ever stopped me.) would be fun to hike both the local ski mountains.

btw... the biting black flies were intense yesterday on Iron. did you have them too?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

obie: the snow plant in the pic is only about 6" tall at most.

mr. hammer: anywhere along SR-2 is worth a visit, but you won't be disappointed in the Waterman area.

norma: no bugs at all on my hike - I think is was too windy which is a nice trade-off if you ask me! I hate bugs. Waterman is fun - i felt like a kid playing on the rocks at the summit (actually never sure which pile of rocks is the summit). Kratka has no formal trail as far as I know but there are a couple of xc routes I've heard of. From Vista picnic area to the east (short but steep) and via the west ridge from Buckhorn area. I'm up for a xc Waterman to Kratka route that follows the connecting ridge.
norma r

Post by norma r »

HikeUp wrote: ... Kratka has no formal trail as far as I know but there are a couple of xc routes I've heard of. From Vista picnic area to the east (short but steep) and via the west ridge from Buckhorn area. I'm up for a xc Waterman to Kratka route that follows the connecting ridge.
:D Let's do it!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Snow plants are totally sick :D or is that bad? or rad? :wink:

I like that area a lot too...so peaceful. No foaming white water or thousand foot exposures :wink:
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

great t/r! how hard is it to take that trail from 3 points up to twin peaks?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW wrote: Snow plants are totally sick :D or is that bad? or rad? :wink:

I like that area a lot too...so peaceful. No foaming white water or thousand foot exposures :wink:
They're all that and more!

AW dude, you're cracking me up. You need to find a peak with a waterfall coming out of it. Maybe a volcano :D :wink:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

MattCav wrote: great t/r! how hard is it to take that trail from 3 points up to twin peaks?
Here's a link to Alan's pics, gps track, and elevation profile for that very trip. A lot more elevation gain than you would think. Most maps I've seen aren't even close to showing the trail accurately in this regard. Great scenery. Can get very hot on the return - very little shade and southern exposure.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks man, that's really helpful.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Matt, you can also check out Zé's trip report. I've been thinking of following a similar route, though without the cross-country return.
http://socalhikes.com/2009/05/three-poi ... terman-mt/
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

norma r wrote:
HikeUp wrote: ... Kratka has no formal trail as far as I know but there are a couple of xc routes I've heard of. From Vista picnic area to the east (short but steep) and via the west ridge from Buckhorn area. I'm up for a xc Waterman to Kratka route that follows the connecting ridge.
:D Let's do it!
Heading this way this Saturday 9/24. All are welcome to PM me if you're interested.
norma r

Post by norma r »

HikeUp wrote: Heading this way this Saturday 9/24. All are welcome to PM me if you're interested.
I'd like a rain check HikeUp. Have fun!