Ontario Peak by way of Falling Fir Ridge 6-5-11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Sons #2(Adam) and #3(Liam) joined me for a fun hike of Ontario Peak via Falling Fir Ridge. We began by starting up Falling Rock Canyon, then took the "Secret Chute" that Phil and I did last year, up to the ridge. Up until now I had only done this route in snow and was wondering how good/bad it would be in dry conditions. It turned out to be an awesome outing with lots of fun class 2&3 sections and a minimal amount of bushwhacking. Though we didn't wear them, the potential for rockfall in the chute makes a helmet a good idea for those wishing to protect their noggins.
Some pix here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 776176399/
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Dave -
Looks like you guys had a great day up there. That is a fun route. The boys are following in their dad's footsteps - literally!
Go team G!!
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Looks like a blast, Dave...but are you cheating on me with another Adam?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

We missed you by a day!
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice work Team Dad :shock: :D
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Burchey wrote: Looks like a blast, Dave...but are you cheating on me with another Adam?
Sorry Burch, but blood is thicker than water, ya know? :lol:
Sam Page wrote: We missed you by a day!
Saw your tracks starting at the first saddle, Sam! It looked like instead of the chute, you went up the boulder field/slope east of FRC and adjacent to Fir Draw, correct?
My kids absolutely loved the wild feel and airy views from the ridge. We didn't see another soul (unless birds and squirrels count) until we got to the summit.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Dave G wrote: Saw your tracks starting at the first saddle, Sam! It looked like instead of the chute, you went up the boulder field/slope east of FRC and adjacent to Fir Draw, correct?
We went a very short distance up Fir Draw before cutting straight up to the ridge. There is a cliff band at the bottom of the ridge that needs to be skirted.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Cool beans G-men! :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice stuff, guys!

HJ