New HPS peaks in San G's are...

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

new peaks apparently have formed in the San Gabriels. I didn't study geology but never thought mountains could form so quickly! :wink:

before clicking the link, take a guess at where the 2 new peaks are. were you right?

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/hpslist.htm#16
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote: new peaks apparently have formed in the San Gabriels. I didn't study geology but never thought mountains could form so quickly! :wink:

before clicking the link, take a guess at where the 2 new peaks are. were you right?

They periodically de-list and re-list peaks based on recent events (fires for example). The "closed" zone due to the Station fire has recently changed. It' probably something in that area. Dunno. Maybe Disappointment and San Gabriel?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
wrote: new peaks apparently have formed in the San Gabriels. I didn't study geology but never thought mountains could form so quickly! :wink:

They periodically de-list and re-list peaks based on recent events (fires for example). The "closed" zone due to the Station fire has recently changed. It' probably something in that area. Dunno. Maybe Disappointment and San Gabriel?

HJ
Hmm. Nope, those two peaks are still suspended. Answers here at the very top of the list. Pretty wimpy additions. :roll:

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah, was looking specifically of Wild View peak and Pine Mountain ridge.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote: yeah, was looking specifically of Wild View peak and Pine Mountain ridge.
Hikin_Jim wrote: Pretty wimpy additions. :roll:
Yeah, so was I.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pine Mtn Ridge?

Can I nominate stuff too, in order to drive peakbaggers crazy?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Can I nominate stuff too, in order to drive peakbaggers crazy?
Yes, but HPS has strict standards for what constitutes a peak:

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah I was emailing with Peter Doggett who added those two peaks, I suggested Triplet Rocks and Big Horn Ridge, but apparently peaks have to be reasonably easy to get to!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've hiked with Peter before. He's a heck of a hiker. I'm surprised he turned down Triplet and Big Horn. Dunno why they added those two new ones on Pine Mountain Ridge. They're not distinctive enough to be really called peaks.

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

:D nice to see Wysup Peak. George was a great man who loved hiking as much as all of us combined. worth naming a peak after.

i like Peter too. except he yells at me when i take photos that i'm gonna cause the group to be stuck out in the dark. i just smile & ignore him. :wink:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Wysup Peak - such a pretty area over there by Coon Creek. That was a nice choice.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I wonder how they select peaks? There's a 9000' peak just east of there. Seems like a 9000' peak would be a more fitting tribute than an 8000' peak.

I've not been to either, so perhaps there's something quite interesting about the 8000' footer when you're actually there.

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote: yeah I was emailing with Peter Doggett who added those two peaks, I suggested Triplet Rocks and Big Horn Ridge, but apparently peaks have to be reasonably easy to get to!
Ah, so he admits the superior logic of NHPS, but is unwilling to give up peaks all together 8)

And you arent getting Triplet off the NHPS list without a fight :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Lol I guess it is a nhps emblem peak