Baldy 5-22-11 Many Pics

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Logan

Post by Logan »

I went up the Ski Hut Trail and took a group of people from my work that were all inexpereinced hikers. We had been training for the last six weeks doing local hikes and walking after work. Some had never been hiking before. Most of them did great getting to the top, but as we all know that is only half way. It took twice as long as it tormally takes me to get up but I expected that. They were slow and steady and had a great time. We did make it out by dark.

One thing that really concerned me is that we saw other people heading to the summit that looked really unprepared after we had already made it. They had tennis shoes and no socks, shorts and no jackets or water. They also looked spent. I was walking out to my car at 9:00 pm and they had to be 2-3 hours behind me from what other hikers told me that saw them at the summit at 5:30 pm.

Anyway, a fun day was had by my group. They may not have been the most physically fit group but they were prepared.

Logan

blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

I love a good Baldy tale. Glad you all had a great time. Baldy was my first actually strenuous hike, and it left me craving more. I'm sure your co-workers will get the hiking bug henceforth.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Nice dude. If there was only a mountain that was 10-15 feet tall, where you could climb it and then spend hours talking about American Idol...my coworkers would totally be down.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

This looked like fun :) It's got me psyched for my trip up Baldy next weekend with some hiking friends and potentially some fit but non-hiking friends. I'm curious what your time was non-hikers? Thanks!
obie

Post by obie »

Nice pics. Linked this thread to my nephew in Buffalo. He works for IM too. He'll get a kick out of that banner on Baldy.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice.

and tea service on Baldy. How nice is that?

HJ
simonov

Post by simonov »

Wow, there were already new Eispiraten stickers in the register! I wonder how those Korean stickers are going over.
Nunc est bibendum
Marty

Post by Marty »

Looked awesome, wish I was there!
Logan

Post by Logan »

simonov wrote: Wow, there were already new Eispiraten stickers in the register! I wonder how those Korean stickers are going over.
I put those stickers there. lol. I think they went over good. They were gone on my way out.
Logan

Post by Logan »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: This looked like fun :) It's got me psyched for my trip up Baldy next weekend with some hiking friends and potentially some fit but non-hiking friends. I'm curious what your time was non-hikers? Thanks!
Total time 11:30

On the way out the group was slow due to painful knees.
Logan

Post by Logan »

obie wrote: Nice pics. Linked this thread to my nephew in Buffalo. He works for IM too. He'll get a kick out of that banner on Baldy.
Oh Cool... what a small world. Well it is a huge global company, but still cool.