Islip Saddle/South Fork trail hike 'n bike 05/08/11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Somehow, the cameras I place in "easy to reach" places turn into complicated extraction missions pretty often. In this case, the Cougarcam was a mile south of Islip Saddle. No big whoop, just drive up, take a little stroll, and see some bears, right?

Wrong:

Winter always gives a big FU to Angeles Crest. This time, half a lane is gone just east of Cedar Springs - three miles from Islip Saddle.

Sooooo....not expecting this little obstacle to be repaired any time soon, the best option was to ride bikes to Islip Saddle, and hike from there. Which was actually a whole lot of fun. My intrepid friends and explorers, Bernd and Norma helped me out. (Thanks again!)

It was super cold, and foggy. The mist coming up the slopes was great, and having the whole road to yourself is pretty fantastic too.

Once on the northern slope, the sun appeared.

Norma starts the off-trail scramble down to the camera.

This little streambed apparently got avalanched pretty good this winter. It was "plowed" with fresh rocks.

For this set up, I tried using the "FurFinder", an electronic device that makes animal squeak noises at night. HikeUp did a great job securing this to the tree. Though pummeled a bit by the bear, it remained secure, and still works!

It was so nice down there, we decided to explore downstream a bit. It was easy to walk along the beautiful clear stream, and nice camping spots abound.

There are many huge, ancient trees here. We liked this fire-hollowed Cedar.

But got ants on our pants when we tried to stand inside.

I found only one remaining patch of this cold, white fungus that seems to grow only in winter. It was frightening, but luckily it will be gone soon!

On the way back, I wanted to put a camera between the tunnels, where people have seen bighorn sheep, but it was too freaking cold and we were all ready to get back to the car. Next time...

All pics here: http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... =slideshow
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I am hoping to hike Baden-Powell in two weeks, does this block the route to the trail head or is this further west?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

lesper4 wrote: I am hoping to hike Baden-Powell in two weeks, does this block the route to the trail head or is this further west?
This does block your access to Baden-Powell. The only way to get there now is from the Wrightwood side. (up I-15, then over to Wrightwood via 138 or Lone Pine Highway, then up to Vincent Gap from there)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pretty cool how that stream bed got cleaned out during the winter. Looks like it made travel a bit easier as far as dodging obstacles and stuff.

I wonder if duct tape deters the critters. Can't imagine it being pleasant to chew on :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

my pix are a bit late, but "worth the wait?" i had fun on this casual day out with Johanna and Bernd. we enjoyed the solitude of a deserted ACH and the remoteness of the creek drainage we explored. it was also nice to get on my old bike once again. a few of my pics from the day:

Johanna in the tunnel

My steed

Wispy

Johanna and Bernd on the South Fork Trail

Loving her new soft-shell NF jacket purchased at the REI used gear sale

Taking care of business

Among giants

Hiker Giganteum! :shock:

Big-leaf Maple in bloom

Casualty of nature's wrath

Since when do beavers like Yucca's?

Clouds roll in

Cougarmagic

:D Fun day!! (Though our hands are now numb. Let's load these bikes and go!)

rest of my pix are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/ryan.norma ... Sunday5811#
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Very nice, very nice, I'm assuming you parked at Windy Gap or back at Red Box?

Nice steed Norma, looks like everyone is pulling bikes out of the garage and riding. :D
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Very nice! Next time you guys are up on ACH, lemme know and I'll ride up from Azusa and meet you guys.
norma r

Post by norma r »

lilbitmo wrote: Very nice, very nice, I'm assuming you parked at Windy Gap or back at Red Box?
Patrick we came in from the west. the road is open beyond Red Box. the locked gate was 3 miles west of Islip Saddle. so it was a short little ride.

Taco, you bet! i just need to replace my back brake before i go riding again. it is all gone. :roll:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You'll need it if you ride with me, Norma. :-)