Man shot to death at Chantry

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
everyday

Post by everyday »

Whoa. thats crazy. and sad
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

That's crazy. Which campground I wonder. 2n40 is the paved section before the dirt road where the trail splits to hoegee's or spruce grove
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Looks like the victim's car is missing. My take is that this happened near the main road. I may be wrong. Not a lot of info. Wonder if this was a car jacking or a deal gone bad. Sometimes it's a crazy mixed up f'ed up world.

http://www.altadenablog.com/2011/04/she ... aying.html
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Today I did the hike from Sierra Madre to Mt. Wilson. At the Observatory, the Police would not let hikers go down the main trail. I thought they found the body at the observatory, but maybe they were searching for the suspect.
If you are going hiking in that area tomorrow, expect the police to still be around and possibly some of the trails closed.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Dominik wrote: Today I did the hike from Sierra Madre to Mt. Wilson. At the Observatory, the Police would not let hikers go down the main trail. I thought they found the body at the observatory, but maybe they were searching for the suspect.
If you are going hiking in that area tomorrow, expect the police to still be around and possibly some of the trails closed.
Apparently there was a different murder today in the san Gabes - Chantry Thursday --- Mt Wilson Today.

Heard about the Mt Wilson killing on FB. Awaiting something official.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Apparently, the Chantry murder suspect called by cell phone and confessed to the murder and said he would come down the Mt. Wilson trail (Saturday evening, I believe) and turn himself in. That didn't happen, so law enforcement (along with help from SAR) are advising people at trailheads (Mt. Wilson, Bailey Canyon, Chantry and Monrovia) to not go up the trail and put themselves at risk or hinder their search. The guy is obviously believed to be armed.
I guess they picked up some cell phone pings from him up in the forest, so they believe he is still up there.
The guy he shot was said to be a good friend of his (?!).
This is all info I got from the folks at the trailhead, so it's probably accurate, but certainly not "official".

Be careful out there...
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Getting some good updates here:

http://www.sierramadrenews.net/

11:45am UPDATE: Just spoke to LASD again. They stated that the suspect is still at large at this time. She again stated that there is a press release on the way, however, this time she stated that they are currently editing the release. That’s a step closer than it was at 9:55, when they were waiting to receive the information, so hopefully we will have more information very soon.

9:55am UPDATE: LASD Press officer tells me that she is expecting a press release with a photo of the subject any time now. She said she expects the actual release to be the same release we’ve already received, with a description of the suspect. I will forward it when I receive it.

9:30am UPDATE: This just posted at Sierra Madre Patch “The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office has identified Dean Albert, 55 of Arcadia, as the victim of Thursday night’s fatal shooting at Chantry Flats campground in Angeles National Forest. City News Service reports that Sheriff’s detectives are seeking a known suspect in Albert’s death. The 53-year-old suspect, described as about 6 feet and 175 pounds, with thinning gray hair and blue eyes, was last seen on a trail from Chantry Flats to Mount Wilson, authorities said. Sheriff’s detectives are not releasing the suspect’s name at this time.”

I have been contacted by a friend who tells me that she attended Arcadia High School with Albert in the mid-70s.
No further word on the suspect at this time (9:45am).

9am UPDATE: Just spoke to LASD press officer who told me that she thinks that Homicide is preparing a press update. I will post it when I receive it. When I asked her if the release was being issued because the suspect was in custody, she said that she had NOT received word that that is the case.

8:36am UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Sgt. Boyett of San Dimas PD. He told me that at about 8am this morning, he was told that the suspect was heading east toward Azusa Canyon and that the purpose of the call was to notify him that they were sending search teams into his area. According to Sgt. Boyett, he doesn’t think anybody knows for sure where the suspect is. He told me that the suspect is considered armed and dangerous.

2nd UPDATE: At 8:27am, I spoke with Capt. Larry Giannone of SMPD who told me that SMPD had abandoned its search operation at 2:30am when the Sheriff’s Dept. told them that their information led them to believe the suspect is in the hills behind San Dimas. Capt. Giannone was unaware that SMSR and the Sheriff’s were still turning people back at the foot of the Mt. Wilson Trail, and told me he would look into it. I called Capt. Giannone on his cell, got the impression he’s not on duty.

Members of the world famous Sierra Madre Search and Rescue team assist Sheriffs at the foot of the Mt. Wilson Trail
ORIGINAL POST – As of 7:55am this morning, hikers at the foot of the Mt. Wilson Trail were being “strongly encouraged” to turn around and go back while law enforcement officials searched for a murder suspect in the hills north of Sierra Madre. According to a Sheriff at the foot of the trail, search dogs and the SWAT team were being utilized in the search for a suspect in a murder at Chantry Flats on April 28th.

According to an LASD press release, a passerby discovered the victim lying on the side of the road. Deputies from Temple Sheriff’s Station were notified and responded to the location. The victim, who was suffering from a gunshot wound to the upper body, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

As I approached the Trail this morning, I was informed that the search for the suspect had now encompassed Chantry Flats, Mt. Wilson Trail and Bailey Canyon, with all sites turning back hikers. The report was that a suspect, apparently an experienced hiker, had contacted SMPD and informed them that he would be coming down the trail to surrender. Cell signals indicated that he was on the hill somewhere.

FIRST UPDATE – I’ll be contacting SMPD directly and updating the story as I learn more. I contacted SMPD and was told that this was a Sheriff’s Dept. operation. Called the LASD Press information number, and they were not aware of the information that was provided to me at the foot of the trail. They did say they would send a release out as soon as they had more information. I will monitor my e-mail on my phone, but I intend to go camp out at the foot of the trail for a while. Please check back for updates.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

http://www.sierramadrenews.net/?p=1362
On Thursday, April 28, 2011, at approximately 5:35 p.m., Victim Dean Ron Albert, M W /53, was shot and killed by Suspect Kevin Wolfe Pochter on the Big Santa Anita Canyon Road, approximately one mile south of the Chantry Flats Campground in the unincorporated area of Sierra Madre.

The suspect was last seen hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains above Arcadia and Monrovia on Saturday evening, April 30, 2011. The suspect is considered an experienced hiker. Suspect Pochter should be considered ARMED & DANGEROUS.

Investigators are seeking the public’s help and are asking anyone who has information as to the whereabouts of Suspect Pochter, or inform ation regarding this case, to please contact Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau; Attention: DETECTIVE RAY LUGO at (323) 890-5632 or SERGEANT JOE RAMIREZ at (323) 890-5585. File Number 011-05214-0551-011
Link to wanted poster...
http://www.sierramadrenews.net/wordpres ... 089-02.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

More

http://www.sierramadrenews.net/?p=1358
Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau personnel are continuing the search for a murder suspect in the San Gabriel Mountains above Arcadia and Monrovia.

The incident began around 5:40 Thursday (04/28/2011) evening when Sheriff’s Homicide detectives responded to the Chantry Flats Recreation Area, unincorporated Sierra Madre, regarding a shooting death investigation.

Investigators learned that a passerby discovered the victim lying on the side of Big Santa Anita Canyon Road, south of the Chantry Flats Recreation Area, unincorporated Sierra Madre. Deputies from Temple Sheriff’s Station were notified and responded to the location. The victim, who was suffering from a gunshot wound to the upper body, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

On Friday, April 30, 2011, homicide investigations sought the public’s help in locating the victim’s vehicle that was taken from the murder site. The vehicle was described as a silver, 1993 BMW 740 series, 4 door sedan. The California license plate is 3XKB366. The victim was identified as 53-year-old Dean Ron Albert of Arcadia.

At approximately 11 o’clock Saturday (04/30/2011) morning the victim’s car was located in the parking lot of the Mount Wilson Observatory, San Gabriel Mountains. Witnesses recognized the vehicle after seeing a description, of the silver sedan, in a local newspaper. Deputies from Crescenta Valley Station responded to the parking lot and recovered the vehicle.

Deputies from Crescenta Valley, Temple, and San Dimas Sheriff’s Stations as well as officers from Arcadia, Sierra Madre, and Monrovia Police Departments spent the rest of the day searching for suspect Kevin Pochter, who is wanted for the murder of his long time friend Dean Albert, in the area between the Mount Wilson Observatory and the Chantry Flats Recreational Area.

On Sunday morning May 1, 2011, team members from the Sheriff’s Special Enforcement and Emergency Services Details resumed a ground search for suspect Kevin Pochter. An air search is also being conducted by Air-Rescue 5. Deputies and search and rescue personnel from Crescenta Valley, Temple, and San Dimas Stations are monitoring the hiking trails and informing hikers about the continuing search for murder suspect Kevin Pochter who is armed and dangerous.

Sixty two square miles of rugged terrain have been searched. Pochter, a Huntington Beach resident, is a 53-year-old male White. He is 6 feet tall, 175 pounds, and bald with blue eyes. He is wearing dark clothing. He is considered ARMED and DANGEROUS. He is an experienced hiker and was last seen hiking in the San Gabriel Mountains above the cities of Arcadia and Monrovia on Saturday evening, April 30, 2011.

If anyone sees Pochter or knows of his whereabouts they should not take any action, but immediately call 911.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_17967934

Haven't got their man yet, apparently.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Pochter is described as a rabid and aggressive fan of USC who won't normally allow his face to be shown.
Pochter, an avid hiker, formerly was a fixture on local hiking forums but was recently banned.
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Pretty strange that he ended up at the Mt. Wilson parking lot.

Is this some odd way of 'sorta' returning to the scene of the crime?

What goes up must come down????
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

I saw the search & rescue helocopter yesterday...wondered what was up. Also saw 2 SAR vehicles at the Baldy Fire Station. This guy could be holed up anywhere out there!
rios

Post by rios »

I used to consider Chantry Flats the safest area (from crime) in the San Gabriels.

Not anymore!

If this guy plays his cards right, he can evade for a while.
simonov

Post by simonov »

I suspect they are looking for a body now.

A few more details here: http://www.ocregister.com/news/-298736--.html

Looks it was some kind of financial deal gone bad.
Nunc est bibendum
whatmeworry

Post by whatmeworry »

rios

Post by rios »

Glad to hear its over. People can get back to hiking without fear of a murderer lurking around.