Amgen Tour, May 21 (Sat) - Mt. Baldy Limited Access

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
taktical

Post by taktical »

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/#2

Stage 7 of the Amgen Tour of California will be racing from Claremont to the Mt. Baldy ski lifts, taking a route up Mt. Baldy Rd., Baldy Village, GRR, GMR, Hwy 39, Sierra Madre Bl., GMR, GRR, Baldy Village then up to the ski lifts. There will be limited accessibility to local residents with verification of ID and race-related personnel, but all other vehicular traffic will be eventually turned back.

People making plans to park at Manker Flats or driving in or out of Harwood Lodge will be unable to do so. Vehicle access to GMR and GRR will also be restricted.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Thanks for the heads up. That is a LOT of riding!
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Hm, I really wanted to be in Manker or at the lift parking lot to see the Stage 7 finish. Are they blocking all non-resident spectators all day, or is there time to get there early and wait/tailgate/get in costume?

Or will I have to get dropped off the day before and bivy?
taktical

Post by taktical »

Here's the message I received from ATOC...

Starting Friday morning, there will be no parking allowed from Icehouse Canyon to the chairlifts. GRR will be closed from 11am on race day and prior to that time, parking is available on a first come first served basis. GMR will be subject to a rolling closure apprx 1/2 hour prior to the race arriving...around 2pm. Mt. Baldy Rd. will be closed as parking fills the roadsides up to the village, but will be subject to a hard closure by 11am for the 11:45 race start.

Hope this helps!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

bertfivesix wrote: ...is there time to get there early and wait/tailgate/get in costume?
Somebody has to dress up like the devil. We can't be out done by the Tour de France.

bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

So I guess one could go there in the morning and snag parking along the road up to Icehouse, but then you're kind of stuck down below the epic finishing climb.

What's a good plan to be able to be at Manker or the lift lots on Saturday? Get dropped off before 11? Will they even allow drop offs?

Costumewise, if anyone else here wants to go we should probably put together a ragtag crew of ice pirates.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We have a room reserved at the Buckhorn for Friday night. Our plan is to leave the car and walk up to the finish Saturday morning or as close as we can get. It's 4.2 miles and gains 2100 feet. Of course, this assumes that foot traffic is not also restricted. In that case, there is always cross-country travel. By the way, the Buckhorn is getting 170 a night that weekend.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Hm, maybe I'll park on the road near Icehouse Friday night and just camp out in my car.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

In my 3 years of following various stages of AToC, on most roads you can drive in a few hours before the rolling closures and find yourself a parking spot off the road and wait.
You can always walk or ride a bike past closures until just a few minutes before the race comes by.
I'm debating to go to the Baldy stage - but it should be a total zoo.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Well, here's the road closure details for Stage 7:

http://www.ci.claremont.ca.us/download.cfm?ID=27474

Anyone got any good ideas/schemes/suggestions?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

bertfivesix wrote: Anyone got any good ideas/schemes/suggestions?
I figure someone from this board would hike in from Lytle Creek Saturday morning. Didn't Elwood do that hike a while back?

We talked to the lady selling lift tickets Saturday morning. The finish line will be in front of the driveway next to the ticket trailer (Olaf's Hut).
obie

Post by obie »

RichardK wrote:
bertfivesix wrote: Anyone got any good ideas/schemes/suggestions?
I figure someone from this board would hike in from Lytle Creek Saturday morning. Didn't Elwood do that hike a while back?

We talked to the lady selling lift tickets Saturday morning. The finish line will be in front of the driveway next to the ticket trailer (Olaf's Hut).
I was thinking of MTB'ng it up from Stockton Flats to Notch and so on. If the rain keeps coming tho' I think the road is going to be knee deep mud/scree up to Notch. Did that ride a few times in Apr/May last year and it was a real slog in some sections.

Otherwise, I guess it's bike up Mt.Baldy Rd. to Manker. Park at Claremont H.S. - or????
lesper4

Post by lesper4 »

I am going to either park friday night and stay up there or ride up saturday morning. I want a spot at the switch backs. I figure the finish line will be at the first parking lot at the main sign, not at the lift buildings?
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

lesper4 wrote: I figure the finish line will be at the first parking lot at the main sign, not at the lift buildings?
No, the race goes all the way through the ski lift parking lot switchbacks to the trailer where lift tickets and t-shirts are sold.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

OK, here is another option. Mt. Baldy is offering a "Smart Pass" on their website (www.mtbaldy.com) for $149. Here is their description of what that buys you:

DESCRIPTION:
- Unlimited Lift Access - One Parking Spot - Camping Options A) Car Camping in Ski Area Parking Lot, access to restrooms. No Fires B) Camping at 7,800 foot elevation in general forest area. Access to bathrooms at Top of the Notch restaurant. Restaurant will be open Friday, Saturday, Sunday at 7am for breakfast and will be open for lunch and dinner as well until 9pm. No Fires, and cooking is only permitted with a forest service permit. Proper tent, and bedding are highly suggested
CONDITIONS:
- Non-refundable
- We suggest being at the parking lot no later than 9pm on May 20. Delays should be expected the day of the event
- No Fires
- Cooking only permitted with forest service permit
- Lift operates Friday from 7am to 10:30pm (last Chair)
Saturday 7am to Sunset. Smart Pass holders arriving after 10:30pm will not be allowed up the lift until the following morning at 7am.
- Once the chairlift is closed for the night the only access between the top and bottom is via a 4 mile walk on a dirt access road.
- There are no options for food except for the Top of the Notch restaurant. A copy of the menu is viewable online
- Camping is in the National Forest. There are no designated camping spots. However, our staff will be more than happy to answer questions about the area in order to direct you to a suitable camping area.
- Littering will not be tolerated

WHAT TO DO WITH THIS TICKET:
- Print ticket.
- You may need to present it to the California Highway Patrol for road access
- It is your parking and lift pass.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm riding up GMR from Glendora with some buddies who live in Baldy Village on Saturday. If interested, do what the kids say nowadays and "Holla atcha boy".