Mt Williamson

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
LetsGlissadeLhotze

Post by LetsGlissadeLhotze »

Looking to touch the top of Williamson before end of april while there is still snow. Ive had my eye on it for quite some time... via Bairs Creek or George creek. Ive been up george creek before about halfway but turned around due to exhaustion/horrid soft snow conditions(snow levels down to the road up to your waist). Normally I climb solo but would feel more comfortable going with other people/person... I normally rent a car but its useless on those roads (alabama hills) leading up to the mountain. If anyones planing a trip and wouldn't mind me tagging along.. Would pay for gas/food/ whatever.. (speeding tickets incurred on 395)
Heres as far as I got After 2 days up to my waist in george creek...
LetsGlissadeLhotze

Post by LetsGlissadeLhotze »

how evil and enticing the summit looks
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

There might be snow up there through mid-June this year, but it's hard to tell how much at this point. We went up in Mid-May on a low snow year (2008) and we hit snow by 9000' - nice consolidated snow. Last time I looked at the snow depth charts, it looks like there's just a little less snow in the Southern Sierra this year than in 2005. In 2005, we hit snow below 10000' on the Shepherd Pass trail on the way to Williamson on the first weekend in July. Every year is different and that makes it wonderful.

We're going up George Creek Memorial Day Weekend this year, but heading toward Barnard. The snow should be nice and consolidated by then.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

LetsGlissadeLhotze wrote: (speeding tickets incurred on 395)
They were out in full force last weekend! 2 parked in the middle of the hwy with no lights just before Olancha.