Gov't Shutdown?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

In the articles I've read on the government shutdown they said that National Parks will be closed. Does anyone know if this would affect Angeles National Forest at all?

There's a list of consequences here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fed ... .html#usda

That includes "National Forest System recreation sites across the U.S. would be closed to the public"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's a little vague. Not sure what it means. Does it mean designated areas like the Crystal Lake Recreation Area or does it mean anywhere one might recreate in a National Forest? Dunno.

HJ
simonov

Post by simonov »

The only way they can close National Forests to hikers is by closing the gates to the access roads. There aren't many places where they can do that. Of course, car campgrounds can and probably will be closed.

By definition, in the event of a government shutdown no one will be able to patrol or enforce administrative closures.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote: By definition, in the event of a government shutdown no one will be able to patrol or enforce administrative closures.
Enforcement activities are specifically omitted from the shut down.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wait! You mean the Forest has been open all this time??? WTF!
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Email from a friend...

"We just heard from Mike McIntyre. If the budget does not pass, the forest will be closed. He said that he cannot incur any staffing costs. We argued that they don't have staff here any way. Orders from the top.

Crap!!!!!"
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Will they be posting guards at all the entrances?

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

how do you close a forrest? cant you just take a different trail? like if they closed indian canyons out here...Id never even know cause i always go in the back way off fern, or just walk strait across the desert...
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Oh boy, that place will be buttoned up as tight as an Arizona border crossing! :roll:
everyday

Post by everyday »

then again, since its indian land, and run by them, i guess the shutdown wont affect that place.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

According to my sources Sequoia and Kings Canyon to be shutdown - The parks will close at midnight tonight for an undetermined period of time.

Can't speak for anything else. Just the parks mentioned.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

davantalus wrote: Sequoia and Kings Canyon to be shutdown
Yep. I'm up here in Three Rivers now, and that was the word at the coffee shop this morning. I have a contract with Army Corps of Engineers @ Lake Kaweah so I'll be out of work too. But I have worked every day since October 1st, so I'm looking forward to a short, albiet unpaid, vacation.
obie

Post by obie »

Off topic here but, I called some state park ranger offices today for camping info and no one answered at Pt. Mugu, Malibu Creek and Topanga. Got recordings at all three which informed me that if no one answered that I should leave a message and they would get back to me in "no more than four days."

Is it always like this at Ranger stations around Ca.?

One of the offices did offer some recorded gibberish about current fiscal situation etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Now, for every day that the government shuts down, I shouldn't have to pay taxes. I mean they can't tax me to support a government that isn't in operation, yes? So, let's all withhold that percentage of our taxes proportional to the number of days they shut down.

Oh, and congressmen would naturally forfeit a percentage of their pay and benefits proportional to the number of days they shut down.

HJ
obie

Post by obie »

Hikin_Jim wrote: down.

Oh, and congressmen would naturally forfeit a percentage of their pay and benefits proportional to the number of days they shut down.

HJ
The staff would have their pay affected by the shutdown, not Congress.

As I understand it Congressional pay is guaranteed by law(s) unaffected by fed budget snafus.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The following was posted on death-valley.net and might be useful:
Death Valley park shutdown

-- all park roads that can be gated closed will be Closed, all other dirt roads will be signed as closed.

-- only Hwy 190 remains open but no access to Zabriskie Point, Dante's View, the sand dunes, etc. All NPS rest rooms and the visitor center will be closed. Visitors will not be allowed to hike off of hwy 190.

-- The campgrounds will be closed and all hikers and backcountry users will be told the park is CLOSED and that they must leave.

-- Stovepipe Wells resort will be forced to close after guests are given 48 hours notice.

-- all park employees exept for a few law enforcement will be laid off (put on furlough). employees will not be allowed to work or even volunteer, volunteers will not be allowed to work, workers will not be allowed to access their computes, employees must remain available to work, but may not get paid for "hanging around" waiting to be called to work.

-- the park website will be closed down

-- the park's weather might not be colleted for the first time in 100 years.

Below is information from the Furnace Creek Resort web site.
Furnace Creek Resort to Remain Open

Furnace Creek Resort is private property surrounded by Death Valley National Park. This in-holding status goes back many years and long before the land was designated a national monument and later a national park. The famed Fred Harvey Company owned and operated Furnace Creek Resort, and both became a part of Amfac (now Xanterra) Parks & Resorts in 1968.

Unlike most national park operations, Furnace Creek Resort will not close because the park closes. Remaining open will be the resort's lodging, restaurants, pools, golf course, tennis courts, stables and retail operations.

The main road traversing Death Valley is a California state highway and we do not anticipate that it will be closed down by the National Park Service (NPS).
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Now, for every day that the government shuts down, I shouldn't have to pay taxes. I mean they can't tax me to support a government that isn't in operation, yes? So, let's all withhold that percentage of our taxes proportional to the number of days they shut down.

HJ
Here! Here!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The NY Times is reporting that a compromise has been reached.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Boner.