Baldy Bowl (4/3/2011)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Though the bowl is melting out, the snow climbing conditions were still excellent, at least in the early to mid-morning. The trail to the hut was mostly free of snow.

It was great to finally climb with Ty and Augie, and it's always a treat to go a lilbitmo with Patrick.

Trip Report

Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Oh yeah, I also saw this yesterday:

asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Sam Page wrote: Though the bowl is melting out, the snow climbing conditions were still excellent, at least in the early to mid-morning. The trail to the hut was mostly free of snow.
What a difference a week makes! Thank you for this report.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

The season for the bowl is rapidly drawing to a close, so with that in mind and a nice little break from the other crazy fun that Sam and I have been having we decided to do a quick run up the bowl.

Tracie the super nice Sierra Ski Hut host had the hut open Sunday morning, she had at least 12 people inside and there was 4 or five others about 100 yards up the ridge from the hut as well. Thanks Tracie for always presenting the open house atmosphere as it should be, you are a great host and fun to chat with. And another thank you for the pancakes on the way down, there's nothing like a little pick-me-up after climbing the mountain :D

Augie, it was very nice to finally meet you, do a climb with you and was great talking to you about all the subjects we covered on the hike back to the cars - look forward to an update on that book, keep me posted. Always like your Trip Reports on the canyoneering you do :D

Ty, you keep gaining more skill and you always have a smile on your face, thanks for coming along and making things fun all the time. :D

Sam, nice write up, sorry about having the "super charger" going, I think it's the caffine :D and thanks again for always organizing fun outings.

I was pleasantly surprised that the snow on the face of the bowl was firm enough to make it a great outing to end the season of the bowl in style. :D

It still amazes me that with the melting snow later in the day (and anytime for experienced climbers) that people are still going up the face of the bowl without helmets, I guess "russian roulette" has not gone out of style these days :shock: Maybe some of these folks like having that National Hockey League look :?: :roll:

The wind was strong above the bowl ridge but the weather was perfect for climbing - I had another great day in our local mountains and feel very blessed to be living so close to these beautiful places and to have such good, fun friends - thanks again everyone.

My Pictures Here
He219

Post by He219 »

Wow, even with the new snow it's melting out FAST!

Was gonna do some splitting up there yesterday, glad I didn't ..
Thanks for the update, guys!
Augie

Post by Augie »

A little video clip of conditions on top when Sam and I summited around 10 am.

Augie

Post by Augie »

Another video clip of the scene at the ski hut around 7 am. Note that pesky pooch, Shasta, that was after Sam's food.