Postholing on Baden-Powell 3.29.11

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

Should I ever be so unfortunate to find myself reborn a lesser being I'm now certain my days will be spent perpetually postholing the northern slopes of BP.

That said, I was looking for a good training hike for loftier summer goals and knew this would be a challenge with the warmer temps and sans snowshoes. I loaded up the pack and left Vincent Gap at 9AM, not to see a soul until I returned over 5 hours later. Merely two steps into the woods I knew it would be a challenge as I immediately postholed past the knee. With a very few exceptions where I was able to follow a boot track, conditions persisted as such until 9K+. Only along the final ridge to the summit was the snow consolidated enough to walk on. Time up, 4 hours to go 4 miles! The reward was having the summit to myself, 60 degree temps and great views of Baldy's loaded Northern slopes. Clear as it was, the Southen Sierra and Panamint ranges were both clearly visible. I enjoyed an hour or so on top followed by a speedy descent with some nice glissading (i had forgotten how steep BP is). ACH is still closed at Vincent Gap, not sure when they typically open, but it looks fine.
backcountrybrad

Post by backcountrybrad »

A buddy and I were the first ones up after they opened the road to VG on Saturday. We cut a good skin track, but I'm sure with all the warm weather since then, its pretty much gone. Sure is a fun, quiet mountain this time of year. Glad to hear you got some peace and quiet at the top.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

GreenMountainBoy wrote: ....not to see a soul until I returned over 5 hours later.................ACH is still closed at Vincent Gap, not sure when they typically open, but it looks fine.
I love days like that! Its nice having an area to yourself........... Caltrans site just says Closed For The Winter. Isn't it official spring now?
norma r

Post by norma r »

GreenMtnBoy,
being able to glissade down B-P made postholing up almost worth it! if anything, it made you quads stronger! :D plus, having a mtn all to yourself is pretty sweet.
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

indeed Norma! it's a great hill to glissade on for sure. the quads took a big hit, man did it feel good to sit down in the truck :-)