SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I meant north faces... :lol:

I know there's some data out there, He219 or 406 might have some info.
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Taco wrote: I meant north faces... :lol:

I know there's some data out there, He219 or 406 might have some info.
Haha, got it. Either one, actually.

That's the beauty of the solo trip, though - nobody to please but yourself. Nobody to wait on, either.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

All predictions of record low levels of snow were way off. The storm a week ago had lower snow levels.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here in Pasadena we received about 2.25" of rain so far, plus a pretty big hail storm this morning at 9:00am (pellet size). Snow level is well above where it was during the last storm, probably 1000' higher.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Looks pretty good from here, and temps seem just right. Works for me.

Jim, -5 points for using the term fail.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

storm fizzle 2011
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

The forecast is called for snow levels to plummet tonight. Now the storm came a few hours early so we will have to wait and see whether there is any precipitation left in the storm by the time it cools off tonight. Baldy is reporting 2 feet with skiing down to the parking lot. That's no F in my book. I hope it continues the rest of March....
Taco

Post by Taco »

From my neighborhood, I can see snow where snow normally does not go. For those who use snow, this is excellent news.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

well looking at the back from apple valley, its all white from here. It was snowing here all morning but nothing sticking at 3500 feet.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Looks pretty good from here, and temps seem just right. Works for me.

Jim, -5 points for using the term fail.
OK, "storm non-succeed." How's that? Sheesh. Tough crowd.

Not dissing the snow per se. Heckuva lot better than 2 weeks ago with everyone running around in flip flops and shorts.

I just wanted it to snow at my house. It didn't. Hence, storm non-succeed.

Sounds like it did better further east. SGW is reporting good snow.

HJ
GreenMountainBoy

Post by GreenMountainBoy »

any feedback on what the upper elevations got yet? first report i saw said Baldy got 18" new....seems high to me. Can anyone verify this?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Taco wrote: Not dissing the snow per se. Heckuva lot better than 2 weeks ago with everyone running around in flip flops and shorts.

I just wanted it to snow at my house. It didn't. Hence, storm non-succeed.

Sounds like it did better further east. SGW is reporting good snow.
It has been snowing off and on all afternoon at my house in La Crescenta, so you don't have to go too far east.

Admittedly, the snow melts about the time it hits the ground and it is the snow equivalent of occasional sprinkles. Nevertheless, it's snow. Sort of.

Now, all we need is for some of it to stick.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

This is my kinda crowd! MORE SNOW. Flip flops will be here soon enough.
Tim

Post by Tim »

GreenMountainBoy wrote: any feedback on what the upper elevations got yet? first report i saw said Baldy got 18" new....seems high to me. Can anyone verify this?
I was at Baldy today. There's about 1-1.5 ft of new snow with maybe 2-2.5 feet in drifts. The snow is very dry and granular. When breaking trail we were sinking anywhere from 8"-12".

Driving in, there's snow starting after the 2nd tunnel and in the front range it looks even lower. Roads were very icy this morning. I had chains on and still slid for 100 ft or so on the section of road next to the Falls Rd trailhead. Did a 180 and narrowly missed two cars. This guy wasn't so lucky:

Impact point was right at the trailhead. Debris still on the roadway.
norma r

Post by norma r »

AlanK wrote: Now, all we need is for some of it to stick.
the temp is dropping at my house, hopefully tonight we'll get stickage!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Taco

Post by Taco »

No hard feelings, just that the term "fail" has been abused and raped by kids nowaday, Jim-dawg. 8) I hear it every 10 seconds at school.

"Legit" as well.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Full dumpage. Uncle!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

It snowed in Burbank. I dont know why I was going 40mph and did a lane change....luckily it was a small fishtail. Down a residental street, I had a couple SUVs in front of me paving the way :D

I didnt take any photos...but here are some...
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011 ... ngeles.php
Taco

Post by Taco »

AW wrote: It snowed in Burbank. I dont know why I was going 40mph and did a lane change....luckily it was a small fishtail. Down a residental street, I had a couple SUVs in front of me paving the way :D

I didnt take any photos...but here are some...
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011 ... ngeles.php
We need to get you on a track, show you how to safely do lane changes at all kinds of speeds in all kinds of conditions! :-)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: No hard feelings, just that the term "fail" has been abused and raped by kids nowaday, Jim-dawg. 8) I hear it every 10 seconds at school.

"Legit" as well.
It snowed later in the day at my place. About 0.5" of graupel. Fail status hereby revoked. Good job, storm, but next time bring some friends and stay a little longer. :wink:

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Maybe next year there will be some primo skiing at your place, Jim. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Maybe next year there will be some primo skiing at your place, Jim. 8)
I can dream, can't I?

HJ
norma r

Post by norma r »

no snow in Simi Valley, but when i left my house at 4 am Sunday morning it was 33 degrees and there was black ice on the streets. KNX 1070 was reporting black ice on the 210 fwy at La Tuna Cyn Road but it was melted by the time i reached it.

No regrets HJ, even Dr. George called it wrong at times. :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

Serious accumulations in the SG. 24" and counting. First day of spring my big toe! Come on sunshine. 8)
Taco

Post by Taco »

HAHAHAH SWEET!

Sorry you're feeling a bit UNDER THE WEATHER up there. At least it's not RAINING on your parade. SNOW time like the present!

How was that, Jim?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: HAHAHAH SWEET!

Sorry you're feeling a bit UNDER THE WEATHER up there. At least it's not RAINING on your parade. SNOW time like the present!

How was that, Jim?
Bro, you're on it! :lol:

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's getting a "little deep" with this "white on stuff" you cannot "fluff around" or you'll get buried with the rest of the "flakes" ar ar ar ar ar :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill,

Look, I'm really sorry. Some people. :roll:

HJ
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Bill,

Look, I'm really sorry. Some people. :roll:

HJ
Fortunately, it melts quickly this time of year. Really, you all have me to thank for this phenomenal snow year. Since I sold the snow blower at the yard sale a couple years ago seems like we are getting some pretty decent snow. We've been doing it old school (shovelin) since then. :roll:
I'm getting the big one (Binford) next year so enjoy it while ya got it. :wink:
Waaarmest regards,
Bill
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote: Really, you all have me to thank for this phenomenal snow year. Since I sold the snow blower at the yard sale a couple years ago seems like we are getting some pretty decent snow. We've been doing it old school (shovelin) since then. :roll:
I'm getting the big one (Binford) next year so enjoy it while ya got it. :wink:
Waaarmest regards,
Bill
:lol: