Vicent Gap to East Fork

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Gozerian138

Post by Gozerian138 »

Ok, so I am looking to do the trip in the John Robinson book from Vincent Gap to East Fork (or reverse) in late May/early June. I believe that the book says around 16-18 miles one way with a long car shuttle. Hoping to do a 1 nighter based on time constraints.
Is this feasible to comfortably do this as a 1 night trip based on the number of river crossings and the normal water levels for the springtime?
Also, would it be feasible to do it earlier in May based on the type of winter that we have been having?
Bill

Post by Bill »

Gozerian138 wrote: Ok, so I am looking to do the trip in the John Robinson book from Vincent Gap to East Fork (or reverse) in late May/early June. I believe that the book says around 16-18 miles one way with a long car shuttle. Hoping to do a 1 nighter based on time constraints.
Is this feasible to comfortably do this as a 1 night trip based on the number of river crossings and the normal water levels for the springtime?
Also, would it be feasible to do it earlier in May based on the type of winter that we have been having?
Absolutely! Vincent Gap to East fork is a fairly comfortable hike as an over-nighter. Friends and I have done it a couple of times. If you plan on going to East fork(Heaton flat) from Vincent Gap make sure you veer left a short way after the VG trailhead other wise you end up at Bighorn mine. You can reach the east fork from the mine however, it is a steep scree and climb down to mine gulch which re-joins eastfork after a 1/2 mile or so (not recommended) Anyway, just follow the river south. After a couple miles you will notice the trail as it crosses back and forth over the East fork. That time of year should be no problem crossing the river during normal weather conditions. I recommend camping near Fish fork there is a nice camp site there and that divides the trip nicely. I have a trip report June of 09 I think and others have similar reports.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pretty much exactly what Bill said. The campsite at Fish Fork confluence is real nice, just the right size. Real relaxing spot. Have a good one dude!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hey, Bill or Taco,

About how many tents can the spot at Fish Fork accommodate?

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I don't know, to be honest with you. A half dozen folks or so, I'd say.

Here's a pic I took of the area. There is space out of view, of course.

Zach

Post by Zach »

that was an epic day *sigh* good memories now that i look back on it
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, nice. Room to set up at least a couple of tents or bivies.

Thanks,

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Zach wrote: that was an epic day *sigh* good memories now that i look back on it
it was nice resting at fish fork on an old sleeping bag while you guys were up there dealing with hell! :twisted:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

wrote: it was nice resting at fish fork on an old sleeping bag while you guys were up there dealing with hell! :twisted:
Yes - what a nice, relaxing day that was! :lol:

I'd say there's room for three, maybe four tents. It's a sweet campsite - very flat, and the fire pit and stone benches are just wonderful. Just lie back, have some good food, listen to the river rushing by, and tell exciting stories about adventurers exploring dangerous remote canyons....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote: I'd say there's room for three, maybe four tents. It's a sweet campsite - very flat, and the fire pit and stone benches are just wonderful. Just lie back, have some good food, listen to the river rushing by, and tell exciting stories about adventurers exploring dangerous remote canyons....
:lol:

Thanks for the 411 guys. Never been past Mine Gulch.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm interested now. Hmmm...
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, this is one of the classic hikes of the San Gabriels: Vincent Gap to E. Fork Ranger Station. Pretty cool country and the section between Mine Gulch and The Narrows is a lesser visited stretch of territory.

The trick is trailhead transportation. It's a heck of a car shuttle to go back and get your car at the upper trailhead -- but it's not undoable.

I'm thinking of doing it, but I just don't have the proper gear. If only I could find a Whisperlite Internationale, the version with a red fuel hose. Why, then I'd be all set. :wink:

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Make sure to get an early start or, my friends like to leave the afternoon before (we actually leave drunkenly, at midnight... but we know the way) and stay at Mine Fork camp the first night. It makes the run down to Fish Fork much more leisurely.

Here's the easter egg hunt:

30x rivercrossing
2x rattlesnake
1x downed aircraft
1x distant view of big horn mine
1x mine fork camp
1x Bill Swan's gravestone
1x trip through cambodia
1x awesome night at Fish Fork camp (watch out for the oak)
4x beautiful walls of trickling water
4x yucca related injuries
3x poison oak rashes

The "Not pictured" part of fish fork camp. Lotsa spots for tents, but it's better in a hammock. :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

davantalus wrote: Make sure to get an early start or, my friends like to leave the afternoon before (we actually leave drunkenly, at midnight... but we know the way) and stay at Mine Fork camp the first night. It makes the run down to Fish Fork much more leisurely.

Here's the easter egg hunt:

30x rivercrossing
2x rattlesnake
1x downed aircraft
1x distant view of big horn mine
1x mine fork camp
1x Bill Swan's gravestone
1x trip through cambodia
1x awesome night at Fish Fork camp (watch out for the oak)
4x beautiful walls of trickling water
4x yucca related injuries
3x poison oak rashes

The "Not pictured" part of fish fork camp. Lotsa spots for tents, but it's better in a hammock. :D
And one crazy wet hiker comes out of the water of Fish Fork to enjoy the best cup of coffee ever served in the wilderness by strangers (at the time) and a "Partridge In a Pear Tree" :D
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

lilbitmo wrote: And one crazy wet hiker comes out of the water of Fish Fork to enjoy the best cup of coffee ever served
Haha. I hope you remember JMJ's story about his coffee pot too, he's proud of that one.

Seriously though, that old man who came up the river just after you guys left was the craziest looking dude I've ever seen. Two ice-axe-treking-pole-combo-staff things, OLD helmet, OLD beard....
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, that was a strange meeting.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks for the beta. How deep are some of those river crossings? Thx.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From what I've been reading on other posts, it doesn't sound like anything over knee deep.

HJ
EL

Post by EL »

Gozerian138 wrote: Ok, so I am looking to do the trip in the John Robinson book from Vincent Gap to East Fork (or reverse) in late May/early June. I believe that the book says around 16-18 miles one way with a long car shuttle. Hoping to do a 1 nighter based on time constraints.
Any feedback on this trip ?
Thank you
Zach

Post by Zach »

davantalus wrote: t after you guys left was the craziest looking dude I've ever seen. Two ice-axe-treking-pole-combo-staff things, OLD helmet, OLD beard....
DUDE!! Me too! Funny story about that guy. Something along the lines of privacy issues... in the middle of the DAMN FOREST!