Angeles Crest Highway (CA-2)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Aargh!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I believe the location is closer to Cedar Spring about mile marker 61.5 about 1/4 mile south of Eagles Roost Picnic

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Supposedly there's a slide.

HJ
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

As Matt mentioned, It is closed at Cedar Springs, or just before Eagles Roost. There was undermining of Hwy 2 near that location, after the storms in December. Maybe Patrick can give us some info. I saw a couple picts last month, but don't have them at my disposal. It didn't look too bad, but I'm not an engineer, either. I do remember seeing a guardrail suspended in the air where the ground gave out.
pio

Post by pio »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks, Patrick.

The repairs that I can see in the photos look good. Looking forward to when the whole shebang opens up in the spring.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

So, what do you guys think the chances are of being able to get up Angeles Crest Hwy via Big T on Saturday 2/26? I was thinking of snow shoeing into Chilao to test some new equipment. Think the roads'll be plowed? This actually isn't supposed to be a big storm, just a cold one, right?

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Big T was closed at Stoneyvale as of yesterday at noon. My guess would be it'll be closed today, but open tomorrow. The big issue will be ice rather than snow.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

MtnMan wrote: As Matt mentioned, It is closed at Cedar Springs, or just before Eagles Roost. There was undermining of Hwy 2 near that location, after the storms in December. Maybe Patrick can give us some info. I saw a couple picts last month, but don't have them at my disposal. It didn't look too bad, but I'm not an engineer, either. I do remember seeing a guardrail suspended in the air where the ground gave out.
Any update on this bidness?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I asked about it on the ACH Facebook page. They said they're getting funding for the repair now, and work will start in the spring when the snow is gone. :shock: Still closed at Cedar Springs till it's fixed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote: ...work will start in the spring when the snow is gone.
In other words, it's gonna be a while. Hope it's not another "five year plan." Yipes.

I guess this will make that back section of the 2 inaccessible again like it was when the road was only open to Islip Saddle, only this time the closure will be a few miles further west.

Anyone know how bad the slide is?

HJ
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

cougarmagic wrote: I asked about it on the ACH Facebook page. They said they're getting funding for the repair now, and work will start in the spring when the snow is gone. :shock: Still closed at Cedar Springs till it's fixed.
Oh that was you! I looked there right after posting here - turns out I've been barred from asking questions there. I think the guy who runs the page was upset when I asked how lobbying Sacramento would help!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Ooh - un-friended from ACH! haha

I don't get the idea it's a huge slide - just that there's no point sloshing through snow and getting delayed by storms, just so a few people (me!!) can hike to Mt Islip.

I will just have to sneak up on it from South Fork Camp I guess!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

cougarmagic wrote: I will just have to sneak up on it from South Fork Camp I guess!
Hmmm...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

HikeUp wrote: Hmmm...
I have the weekends of 3/26, 3/27, 4/2 and 4/3 currently free for just such a hike.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Dunno...too soon to tell.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

cougarmagic wrote: Ooh - un-friended from ACH! haha
I don't get the idea it's a huge slide - just that there's no point sloshing through snow and getting delayed by storms, just so a few people (me!!) can hike to Mt Islip.

I will just have to sneak up on it from South Fork Camp I guess!
Yeah I wonder, I'll miss getting up to Islip if it's going to be a long closure ala the 2004-08 bridge dealio, but Buckhorn becomes way more fun when there's no through traffic!

Thanks again for the info!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Where does the road close at this point? I'm looking for easy access to Throop.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

it's still closed at Cedar Springs just before Eagles Roost. Again, it is undermining of the road on the west side of the highway right near the gate, not a slide, per se.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

This may have been posted already. Looks like they're trying to get her open.

http://www.lacanadaonline.com/news/tn-g ... 5434.story
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The closed section will be opening June 1st.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

We have been sending a lot of concrete up there the last month or so. The crew thats working is right on with ordering concrete and these guys seem to pride themselves on not wasting money. One of the last crews would throw concrete away all the time by over ordering. We have been going all the way to mile marker 53, and doing a lot of work at mile marker 28.8 I hope it keeps going as well as it has been.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

no dates have been set, but sometime in June is possible. work has not even begun at Eagles Roost, which I'm hearing could take 2-4 weeks once it starts.
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

MtnMan wrote: no dates have been set, but sometime in June is possible.

Aw crap. :(
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

nothing's changed much in quite some time, as they have kept the "late spring" wording for quite some time. No official dates have ever been posted to my knowledge. Maybe "very late spring" would be more appropriate though. :lol:
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

June 3rd now the official date for the lower Crest re-opening. Press release next week.

However, the upper Crest at Eagles Roost may not be open for a few months, is the latest. :?
pio

Post by pio »

MtnMan wrote: June 3rd now the official date for the lower Crest re-opening. Press release next week.

However, the upper Crest at Eagles Roost may not be open for a few months, is the latest. :?
Yes, the highway could open June 3. Once I receive full word that SR-2 is definitely set for public access in the lower section (La Canada Flintridge to Angeles Forest Highway), I will send out a press release to the media and invite the general public to the opening press conference. The Eagle's Roost area could take quite sometime to repair.

You can call the Caltrans District 7 Public and Media Affairs at 213-897-3630 (my direct line). Those seeking a heads up shouldn't call (we receive hundreds of calls weekly). Just check the web site: www.dot.ca.gov/dist07, and follow the news. KNX 1070 has been following the progress very closely.

- Patrick Chander, Public Information Officer, Caltrans, ACH Repair Project
pio

Post by pio »

shreddy wrote: This may have been posted already. Looks like they're trying to get her open.

http://www.lacanadaonline.com/news/tn-g ... 5434.story
Caltrans has been constantly working to get the highway open. Work has never ceased. Most of the work is going on far from where the public can see. Caltrans engineers, geologists, biologists, information officers, operators, etc. have been working on this project for a very long time - doing very complicated work that goes unrecognized. Maintaining and building a freeway in the ANF (post-fire) takes more than just filling potholes. But throughout this entire project the media has been welcome and has done stories on the repair work.

At 40.35 you will see where the contractor is repair a rock slide with a colossal excavator. Already motorist have been riding over areas that were entirely washed away just east of Angeles Forest Highway near Switzer and Colby Cyn.

If you ever wonder what is going on, just call me, but I have been posting pictures of the work for quite sometime at www.dot.ca.gov/dist07 since Nov. 2009.

- Patrick Chandler, Caltrans District 7, Public Information Officer, ACH Repair Project, 213-897-3630
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Thanks for the update Patrick. So the section between Islip Saddle and Vincent Gap will remain close for an unknown amount of time?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Patrick:

Thanks for coming on the site and keeping us informed. Much appreciated.

HJ