hike suggestion for los padres/sespe?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey everyone-
I'm looking for a good 15-20+ mile day hike in the Sespe/Los Padres area. My only experience out there is being in Rose Valley/Piedra Blanca where I almost killed myself on that stupid slab of sandstone :shock: Is there anything you guys would recommend that would take 12-14 hours or so?
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Well, it's not even close to the milage you're looking for (more like 6?), there's a canyoneering route that's 9. BUT Tar Creek always amazes me. I've been meaning to go back myself now that there should be some water.

I did it as an in-and-back in an afternoon with the girlfriend. Views are great but totally easy hike to take some unseasoned friends with ya.

Here's the Canyoneering route if you're awesome like that. (dunno if you could just down climb the falls.)
http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/tarcrk.htm
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

that looks ridiculous! how is it in the summer? seems like itd be cold right now for that hike...
Taco

Post by Taco »

It's a nice canyon in the summer... my first canyoneering experience was there.
norma r

Post by norma r »

the road the accesses Tar Creek is closed. i was going to do that tomorrow but instead we are doing a 20 mile loop from St. Thomas Aquinas College TH up Santa Paula Creek to Jackson Falls then over to Sisar Cyn and back down. i will tell you more after i do it.

one of my favorite hikes is up Sisar Cyn to Topa Topa Bluffs and back.

unfortunately, all the seasonal roads, Pine Mtn, etc are closed for the season. but you know, this just made me remember of a great hike to Hines Peak off the 33, but i'll have to look at my info later this week. gotta get to bed.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

Hey Matt,

There was an overnight bp trip in that area I was going to attend last year but ended up not making it.

Looks like some folks do the 19 mile round trip to the Willett Hot Springs, taking the Piedra Blanca trailhead near Rose Valley Falls.

Here's an article on it:
http://www.examiner.com/outdoor-recreat ... ot-springs
turtle

Post by turtle »

Matt, you might also want to consider the Sespe Gorge route that Chris Brennen describes on his website. It could be done in one very long day if you are fast over irregular terrain. But I'd advise being prepared to bivy if you attempt to do so.

As Norma notes, though, there are closures to deal with in the Sespe area -- and not just seasonal ones. The exit out through Tar Creek shown on Chris's map is part of the Condor Sanctuary -- at least as drawn on some maps. In preparing for a recent trip through the Gorge, I had a frustratingly hard time finding definitive information on what was allowable. But note that Chris does describe an alternative exit through the Devil's Gate on the Tar Creek page (Option Two) that would also work for a trip through the Gorge. A car shuttle would be required, however.

But I definitely recommend visiting the area. I think the Sespe Gorge was the most pristine place I've ever been within a few hour's drive of LA. I'll also note that as of 2010 May, there is considerably less mandatory swimming on the route than Chris describes, so it may be more cold weather appropriate than he suggests. Then again, the length of the hike suggests waiting for more daylight.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks jason and turtle, those both look great. added to this list :-)
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Hines Peak via Sisar Canyon is ~22 miles on very easy terrain: a little too much dirt road, but still nice.

norma r, I'd be interested in hearing how your Santa Paula Canyon-Sisar Canyon loop went. I did that loop twice last year and found the ascent of Santa Paula Canyon took much longer than anticipated, and much longer than an ascent of Sisar Canyon, due to a healthy dose of bushwhacking and searching for the trail. The second time went a bit faster. Both trips were great adventures.
pawprint

Post by pawprint »

Reyes Peak (7514) is about 16 mi.rt and about 3500 elev gain. You can lengthen it by continuing along the ridge to Haddock peak (7431). There is snow there now. The T.H. is at Mile marker 36.60 on Hwy 33.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks pawprint... added to the list!
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

the well marked north fork (of lockwood creek) trail fits your requirements.

would be a drive and a very long day from the greater los angeles area.

begins up a dirt road past three falls boy scout camp in lockwood valley.

ascends to the ridge that is sawmill mountain - the highest point in kern county - then proceeds along that ridge, down to a saddle, and then up to the summit of mount pinos - the highest point in ventura county.

you may see condors.

when clear, spectacular views of the san joaquin valley and western side of the sierras. and maybe ocean and islands too.

begins @ 6,000'; pinos = 8,831'

22 miles rt.

took us 11 / 12 hrs in spring / summer.

you are faster.

now, there will be snow.

maybe better as a springtime hike, but if you wanted to snow camp along the way this could be your ticket to solitude and adventure.

see sawmill mountain topo.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

bsmith wrote: the well marked north fork (of lockwood creek) trail fits your requirements.

would be a drive and a very long day from the greater los angeles area.

begins up a dirt road past three falls boy scout camp in lockwood valley.

ascends to the ridge that is sawmill mountain - the highest point in kern county - then proceeds along that ridge, down to a saddle, and then up to the summit of mount pinos - the highest point in ventura county.

you may see condors.

when clear, spectacular views of the san joaquin valley and western side of the sierras. and maybe ocean and islands too.

begins @ 6,000'; pinos = 8,831'

22 miles rt.

took us 11 / 12 hrs in spring / summer.

you are faster.

now, there will be snow.

maybe better as a springtime hike, but if you wanted to snow camp along the way this could be your ticket to solitude and adventure.

see sawmill mountain topo.
What time of year were you in there? How was the water situation? Do you know if that's a year round stream? A friend and I have been talking about doing a backpack there some time in the future.

HJ
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Hikin_Jim wrote:What time of year were you in there?
may & september
Hikin_Jim wrote:How was the water situation?
water in the creek and a spring at sheep camp. no water past sheep unless there's imported water at the campsites down from the top of pinos - we didn't see any on top - it's a big mound vs a pointy peak - we just carried our own.
Hikin_Jim wrote:Do you know if that's a year round stream?
we found water there during our september trip, so i'd have to think so.
Hikin_Jim wrote:A friend and I have been talking about doing a backpack there some time in the future.

HJ
lilly (lily) camp is a little more open - unprotected - and has a table. don't recall a stove.

sheep camp is further on and at a higher elevation, in the trees, has NO table, and don't recall a stove, but i would think is the preferable campsite. of course there's plenty of space on the top of the mound that is the ridge, off the trail. people do hike, run, back and forth, between pinos // sawmill // grouse // and cerro noroeste.

one of my favorites cause you're up in the trees. and the views were fantastic.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks bsmith, i'm going to add that to the list. that sounds like a great hike!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yes, thank you, especially for the water report.

HJ